• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Math Nerds Rejoice!

Nah. That's like saying a 2015 Corvette is the by-product of internal combustion.

We celebrate the Sting Ray - not the chemistry. :dance

Nah, it's like saying the 2015 Corvette is a product derived from the development of the internal combustion engine. Without the engine, the 205 Corvette would be a fancy Amish buggy.

The Jim Burke, "Connections" series on PBS, airing 1970~1980's, was a classic.

In some cases, war spawns technical development that impacts the world's population with new products and capabilities, as demonstrated by WW1 and WW2. In others, like the persistent tribal and civil wars in Africa and the middle east, it doesn't. In the case of the US Civil War and WW1 Trench Warfare, technology had actually progressed beyond the military theory and the commanding officers were, in many cases, like Petersburg in the US and the WW1 trenches, incapable of adapting.

Last edited:
Nah, it's like saying the 2015 Corvette is a product derived from the development of the internal combustion engine. Without the engine, the 205 Corvette would be a fancy Amish buggy.

The Jim Burke, "Connections" series on PBS, airing 1970~1980's, was a classic.

In some cases, war spawns technical development that impacts the world's population with new products and capabilities, as demonstrated by WW1 and WW2. In others, like the persistent tribal and civil wars in Africa and the middle east, it doesn't. In the case of the US Civil War and WW1 Trench Warfare, technology had actually progressed beyond the military theory and the commanding officers were, in many cases, like Petersburg in the US and the WW1 trenches, incapable of adapting.

Good points. :thumb

No. All history is a case study in economics. Military history is a by-product.

Actually, I have to agree with that statment. The more I study war, to include the wars I've fought in, I always find greed and selfishness wrapped in virtuous rhetoric as the overall motivator of one or more of the belligerents.

The hearts of the Warriors, more often than not, pure... true believers.

Actually, I have to agree with that statment. The more I study war, to include the wars I've fought in, I always find greed and selfishness wrapped in virtuous rhetoric as the overall motivator of one or more of the belligerents.

So true. Sort of an extreme extension of "...follow the money," only on a global scale.

My son (member of the "Iron Brigade" of the 4th Infantry Div.) is now deployed to the Middle East - not his first rodeo there. (You can follow them @ https://www.facebook.com/3BCT4ID?pnref=story )

Warriors all - God-willing, home safe by Thanksgiving. :usa

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." attributed to Dr. Samuel Johnson, the guy that wrote the Dictionary.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." attributed to Dr. Samuel Johnson, the guy that wrote the Dictionary.

Nah. He was a zealous Tory and his 'dictionary' was later eclipsed by the Oxford Dictionary and of course, our own Mr. Webster.

I stand with the Ranger. :usa

Sam Johnson should have paid better attention to John Stuart Mill....

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Nah. He was a zealous Tory and his 'dictionary' was later eclipsed by the Oxford Dictionary and of course, our own Mr. Webster.

I stand with the Ranger. :usa

Ranger and Dr. Johnson said the same thing.

Relative to the OED, it only took the preeminent University 173-yrs to over take the good Dr. Johnson. That's not a bad run.

Noah Webster actually preceded the OED with his American Dictionary in 1828.

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

If Dr. Johnson hadn't died 22-yrs before Mill's birth, he might have considered some of Mills opinions.:)

I like that quote and agree, though 36654 has an impressive command of history.

You gentlemen have morphed a math thread into an amazing banter of history.

Even more amazing is that it has not yet morphed into an oil discussion! :dance

I like that quote and agree, though 36654 has an impressive command of history.

You gentlemen have morphed a math thread into an amazing banter of history.

Even more amazing is that it has not yet morphed into an oil discussion! :dance

Better yet, I can now spend some time reading about Mr. Mills. An interesting fellow who's opinions evolved with the early industrial / Victorian period.

In contrast, Dr. Johnson was a product of a much more cynical age when the British gov't was quite corrupt and ineffective.

The Victorian Era... is that not when the first oil thread was started? By postal carrier of course. I believe Prince Albert was a staunch believer in whale oil, despite the growth in popularity of tar derivatives.

Better yet, I can now spend some time reading about Mr. Mills. An interesting fellow who's opinions evolved with the early industrial / Victorian period.

In contrast, Dr. Johnson was a product of a much more cynical age when the British gov't was quite corrupt and ineffective.

I wonder if we are all a product of our "age". Lestat seemed to think so. This is why he was drawn to Louis.

Last edited:
The Victorian Era... is that not when the first oil thread was started? By postal carrier of course. I believe Prince Albert was a staunch believer in whale oil, despite the growth in popularity of tar derivatives.

Being German, Prince Albert was a Lard man. As such, he rarely had to spend much time in the can.

I wonder if we are all a produce of our "age".

Well, we are all molded by our experiences, but that doesn't absolve us of fulfilling our potential. We live in age of minimal expectations for the moment and few dreams of the future.

Back