• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

trailer ball hitch for bikes?

H

hmaxwell

after being a HD rider for >35 years, I bought my first BMW this past November, a 2005 K1200GT. I really want a GS but that is next. Im planning on a trip X country and wish to pull my Kayak, loaded with camping and flyfishing gear. Any suggestions about trailer hitches?

If you put a ball hitch on your bike you want to put one of the swiveling couplers on your trailer tongue. That way if you drop the bike it won't bend the crap out of your hitch.
Dauntless and several other places sell them.

I've towed a couple of different Bushtec trailers behind Gold Wings over the years, but I can't offer any advice on trailer hitching a GT. Bushtec doesn't carry a hitch specifically for the GT...I checked their website at http://www.bushtecmotorcycletrailers.com , but you could get in touch with them and see what they say. They probably know more about motorcycle hitches than anyone. I'd love to see a pic of your GT with the kayak behind it! I

Last edited:
As I understand it, not possible due to frame and single sided swing arm setup.:banghead

If you put a ball hitch on your bike you want to put one of the swiveling couplers on your trailer tongue. That way if you drop the bike it won't bend the crap out of your hitch.
Dauntless and several other places sell them.

+1 , call Jay at Dauntless http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/ they specialize in sidecars, hitches and various modifications. May not be practical for you unless you are currently on the left coast. - Bob

there is one listed on the Dauntles site but it is made down under. there is another one made by Uni Go

our trailer was made 'down under' and now has about 30,000 miles on it. Had a wheel bearing problem at about 20,000 miles but easily resolved. Dauntless did that excellent work while we were traveling through the area. I am sure that whatever you get from Dauntless will be in excellent mechanical condition. - Bob

2006 gt

Classic Industries also makes hitches for 06-10 GT's. I had one for three years and itÔÇÖs a great hitch. Hal

A general note to consider: if you do get a one wheel trailer as opposed to a two wheel, be very aware of the twisting forces exerted on the hitch and the need to align it perfectly with the bike's rear wheel. If the hitch flexes then the tendency to wobble exists for the one wheel. A few other considerations but those are basic. The one from Classic Industries looks like a bit weak for those twisting forces. Two wheel is a different critter with their own set of considerations. - Bob

Back