• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150Rt in middle of changing clutch, have question.

josh00

My 04 Rt has 43k on it, the clutch starting slipping when high on rpms earlier in the year. I figured it was some oil from the rear seal, tranny seal or slave cyl. I have it down to the clutch & their is no oil leaking anywhere except right by the slave cyl. But where the push rod goes into the whole on the clutch spring plate it is off center & I drained the tranny fluid & it is dark gray. I bought it last year with 26k on it, when I got it I tore it apart to do a spline lube but never took apart the clutch, the push rod is straight not bent at all. Here is a picture of what it looks like, I'm going to go ahead and take the clutch apart. Any thoughts on any of it, and if the fluid being dark gray is o.k. Thanks Josh.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 129
My 04 Rt has 43k on it, the clutch starting slipping when high on rpms earlier in the year. I figured it was some oil from the rear seal, tranny seal or slave cyl. I have it down to the clutch & their is no oil leaking anywhere except right by the slave cyl. But where the push rod goes into the whole on the clutch spring plate it is off center & I drained the tranny fluid & it is dark gray. I bought it last year with 26k on it, when I got it I tore it apart to do a spline lube but never took apart the clutch, the push rod is straight not bent at all. Here is a picture of what it looks like, I'm going to go ahead and take the clutch apart. Any thoughts on any of it, and if the fluid being dark gray is o.k. Thanks Josh.

I did a clutch job on my 04' RT because it was slipping, mine was the slave cylinder leaking. It does not take much oil to contaminate a clutch disc. Others on the forum have much more experience than I, but your photo sure looks like some fluid is being thrown. You can see the streaks on the pressure plate and the disc. As for off center, that just means you did not use guide pins to pull the tranny off or they were too short and the splined shaft moved the plate as the back of the trans dropped down.

Take the clutch apart, mark it very clearly how the parts align! and inspect the rear main seal. If it has no indication of leaking, put it back together with a new clutch and new slave cylinder and you should be good to go.

My RT, back then
i-r869Jbv-M.jpg

I just took it apart & their is a little bit of dried oil on the friction plate, I think it came from the slave cyl, & for the spring plate the piece that has the hole in it is attached with clips & they shifted. I have a new slave cyl I'm going to put on the rear seal looks good but the tranny seal I will replace also. I bought a oil proof friction plate from beemer bone yard it was about $250. I put marks on the pressure plate & the outside cover plate, I think it should have been the inner cover plate but I found the factory marks, I believe you but them opposite of each other. Not sure if that dark gray oil from the tranny is alright, I changed it about 15k ago & it didn't look that dark. I did use guide pins they stick out about 1'' past the tranny, not sure if that is long enough. Thanks for help. Josh

I just took it apart & their is a little bit of dried oil on the friction plate, I think it came from the slave cyl, & for the spring plate the piece that has the hole in it is attached with clips & they shifted. I have a new slave cyl I'm going to put on the rear seal looks good but the tranny seal I will replace also. I bought a oil proof friction plate from beemer bone yard it was about $250. I put marks on the pressure plate & the outside cover plate, I think it should have been the inner cover plate but I found the factory marks, I believe you but them opposite of each other. Not sure if that dark gray oil from the tranny is alright, I changed it about 15k ago & it didn't look that dark. I did use guide pins they stick out about 1'' past the tranny, not sure if that is long enough. Thanks for help. Josh

I'm not sure about the grey tranny fluid. As for marks, if memory serves, you have three parts, each should have marks and they must be spaced equal distance apart. I did not pay attention to that little detail and I had a vibration in the bike I never had before. Yup, I pulled it apart, spaced the three sets of marks as far from each other as possible, that's about 120 degrees apart, and presto.......Vibration gone.

Good luck, sounds like you are doing a good job.
rad

Just finshed it up this morning, took it for about 60 mile ride seems to be fine. I think with that hole being off center was when I was taking the tranny off, I got the one side hung up on some wires & struggled for a second getting it off, & the push rod must have shifted that plate with the hole a little. I think getting some of those fairing screws back in it worse then taking the bike apart, stripped a couple of the heads out, not sure the size have to get a couple new ones. I hope the gray tranny fluid is alright. Well thanks for the help, this forum has saved me a lot of money over the years, never tore any bikes apart until I got a check list off of here for a spline lube, if I would have never done that, sure would have never tried to do the clutch. Thanks again. :thumb

Just finshed it up this morning, took it for about 60 mile ride seems to be fine. I think with that hole being off center was when I was taking the tranny off, I got the one side hung up on some wires & struggled for a second getting it off, & the push rod must have shifted that plate with the hole a little. I think getting some of those fairing screws back in it worse then taking the bike apart, stripped a couple of the heads out, not sure the size have to get a couple new ones. I hope the gray tranny fluid is alright. Well thanks for the help, this forum has saved me a lot of money over the years, never tore any bikes apart until I got a check list off of here for a spline lube, if I would have never done that, sure would have never tried to do the clutch. Thanks again. :thumb

The center hub on the spring is a slip grip on the fingers on the spring. It is all inside of where the spring exerts pressure on the pressure plate and thus isn't under tension when the clutch rod isn't pushing on the center of the spring. It is quite easy to slip the center off to one side or another when removing the transmission. It is equally easy to put back it where it belongs with the clutch rod or an alignment tool.

Back