• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Teletype WorldNav 3500 motorcycle gps

Adventurer22

Adventurer
I've been beating the internet crazy looking for a good buy on a Zumo 550 for my newly acquired '04 GS. Past post had me looking almost exclusively for the Garmin unit...pricey as you all know. This evening came across a new (well new to me) unit just recently released (Nov. 2010). The unit is Teltype 3500 http://www.teletype.com/p/3500.html. The parent company has a strong rep with navigation systems for the trucking industry from what I've found thus far. Using that as a back drop and the fact it can be obtained for as little as $275 (Amazon) along from other reputable outlets, might any members have additional opinions/input on this company/unit. It seems like a good affordable alternative to a pricer Zumo. Seems to have all the bells and whistles and the company rep seems solid. It seems so new I was unable to find any internet-online reviews. Feedback?

Last edited:
I do not know this company, however this unit does not seem to have desktop routing software as does the Zumo.

With routing from ones desktop, you can choose roads and routes rather than having to use the auto-route feature from the unit itself. This is why I chose the Zumo over the much cheaper Nuvi.

Reading through the on-line manual, I spotted several points..

1 - The software/database is truck use oriented - down to having weight stations in the database, and being able to enter the trucks weight so it can route you on roads where the weight is permissable.

2 - Didn't see a real routing preference selection. Garmin has rather extensive routing preferences you can customize, or select on the fly that make the routing more useful. I especially enjoy using "Shortest route" sometimes since it takes me down some backroads I'd never go on otherwise..

3 - Menu selection looked a bit difficult. The ZUMO has dedicated buttons that are made to be glove friendly. I'm not so sure how well the touch screen menus will work on this GPS with gloves (I'd want to try it first - having difficulty using the menus is a real safety hazard unless you are VERY disciplined and ALWAYS stop before changing something on the GPS.)

4 - The screen displays looked a bit crude. Sort of low-res looking. Can't say without actually seeing it - but it didn't look as finished as a Zumo or other Gamins.

5 - It uses Windows CE as the operating system. Dunno if this is good/bad/indifferent.

Bottom line - without a good review by a motorcyclist, or a decent hands on session, I'd only consider it if it came with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee. But that's just me.. other people will do otherwise.

According to the specifications - somewhere - it listed it as a class (something) 5 for waterproof. Good/bad/dunno?

Class 5 ÔÇô Waterproof and submersible to depths greater than 12 feet

that ought'a work unless there is a serious bridge malfunction :D

Richard

Check out the Nuvi 550.
It's waterproof and you can plan a trip on your computer, then copy the route to the GPS. For route planning either use Mapsource, which you can download from Garmin for free or buy a copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010.
There is no jack for a earbud, but I don't like listening to Bitching Betty, so that's not a big deal for me.
Amazon has them for $259 with free shipping.
I used a Nuvi 550 last year on my bike with no problems. I had a lot of miles of heavy rain, so I know for sure it's waterproof.
One plus for you, it will run 5 to 6 hours on it's battery if you want to use it on your bicycle. You can buy a 2nd battery fairly cheap if you want to go 10 to 12 hours on battery.

Last edited:
Does it have a MP3 player or a slot for a SD card??? Zumo has these and they are very usefull.

The Nuvi 550 can use a card, but does not play MP3s.
The Zumo 550 has more features, but the Nuvi 550 is a pretty good buy on a waterproof unit that lets you plan routes on the computer.

Being so new it's apparent that I/we are not going to find much review data on this unit. I can feel the strong ties to Garmin (Zumo), understandable, it has a proven track record...I like Garmin also (love the Oregon for sea kayaking). Putting both units links here. I've tried to compare data from the spec tabs and table of contents to see what's what. There seems to be a lot of similarities with each unit and I'm sure those of you who jump into this will find the true differences. But are those differences THAT big and worth the approx. $ 300 difference? Trying to kick up the comparisons with each one's data. Wish I could have done a side by side thing..oh well.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414#zumo

http://www.teletype.com/p/3500.html

From these links I tried to jump back and forth from features, specification etc. tabs, thus my comment on similarities.

I just think my bike looks cool with a Zumo on it. And when everyone sees it, they know that guy spent big bucks on his GPS. Of course the down side is when we're all out riding and decide to stop for lunch, everyone orders Steak but me. All I can afford is a burger. :cry LOL

WorldNav 3500 GPS, some comments

Timing is everything...I just submitted my review to the Editor of www.webbikeworld.com on the WorldNav kit- got it back in December while in Florida.

Hopefully the article will get posted soon - the Editor is at the Indy Show this weekend.

In general the WorldNav is worth a look...but its not a 'Garmin' per se and does not include desktop software, etc...although having said that, the software application is available to run on other operating systems and is available for separate purchase - I haven't checked that out yet, but am going to.

The WorldNav uses CE 6.0 and has some other media applications bundled with it, although they need to be run separately. The navigation software is obviously the feature event.

It does include a single channel (mono) Bluetooth headset with single speaker for audio output, as there is no onboard speaker.

The article, when posted, should provide more insight and for some, the unit is likely to be an alternative...

Bruce

Richard

Check out the Nuvi 550.
It's waterproof and you can plan a trip on your computer, then copy the route to the GPS. For route planning either use Mapsource, which you can download from Garmin for free or buy a copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010.
There is no jack for a earbud, but I don't like listening to Bitching Betty, so that's not a big deal for me.
Amazon has them for $259 with free shipping.
I used a Nuvi 550 last year on my bike with no problems. I had a lot of miles of heavy rain, so I know for sure it's waterproof.
One plus for you, it will run 5 to 6 hours on it's battery if you want to use it on your bicycle. You can buy a 2nd battery fairly cheap if you want to go 10 to 12 hours on battery.

Thank-you. Very helpfull!

Back