• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Warning: Not a Rave Review of the BMW R1200RT

Interesting dilemma to have. A couple years ago I traded my '05 Electra Glide for a '16 RT after a short test drive. The dealer told me to come back and take out an RT for as long as I wanted, just have it back before closing time, but it wasn't necessary. I'd spent the previous 30 years on nothing but Harleys. Put 100K plus miles on my FXR, 45K on my E-Glide, many more on my wife's Sportster. The RT is decidedly a different ride, and I spent some time and A LOT of money making it fit me better, also I'll admit that there are times when I miss my Harley, especially the FXR, but the more miles I put on the RT, the more I love it. Maybe you just need to pack it up and go somewhere? After you get a better-than-stock seat, better than stock windshield, some "Sport" floorboards etc.

Ultimately, to each his own. You need to be the one who's happy with it. My son loved his Honda RC251 (?), same bike that won at Daytona two years running. I loved its motor, but would just about as soon take a beating from an MMA fighter than ride that thing. Hope you find what makes you happy.

I don't own your model. However, since you are cramped, is your seat at it's highest position? As well, a peg lowering kit, although only drops the pegs a couple of inches, can make a major difference to your leg comfort.

Has the seat been adjusted to the higher position? How about switching to the BMW "tall" seat?

I got a 2015 R1200GS and switched from my '03 R1150RT partly because I had read that BMW made the newer RT's fit shorter riders better. With my 36" inseam, I don't want a bike that fits shorter people. I did get the "tall" seat for my GS, and then a Sargent which I had custom made with an inch more padding...

As others have mentioned, you can also lower the pegs, the regular foot pegs.

jamo:

Sorry this bike didn't work out for you. The rider / bike experience is so subjective. I just passed on a new R1200RS, over 3 minor things that I noticed during a demo ride.

Last edited:
I test rode my 2015 six months after I had bought a 2014 Goldwing. 30 minutes in to that test ride, I knew I would be selling the Wing. Which I did at an $1,800 loss. And I haven't regretted it once.

It is hands down the best bike I have ever owned and after about three years of ownership, paying it off, learning to do my own maintenance, and doing a few IBA rides, I still love it every time I ride away on it.

The difference in the RT and a HD is HUGE and if you're used to the cruiser position, it's a lot to get used to. When I went from my VTX1800 to my first 2008 Wing, my first thought when I rode away from the dealer was, "Holy S*&T this is weird!"

Once I got used to it, there was no going back.

You need to take that RT out into some twisties and get used to what she can do because there isn't a cruiser on the planet that can keep up with the RT in it's natural environment. And take a long trip as well. Give yourself some time to appreciate how the bike works and what it will do. Don't let the "weirdness" of the new position put you off. It actually gives you more control and will allow you to stay on the bike longer since your weight is more evenly distributed across your thighs instead of all resting on your posterior.

There is a reason that the RT has been chosen Best Sport Touring bike by numerous publications every year since it's release. Give yourself some time.

And good luck!

2015 R1200RT Part II

As several suggested I do, I have spent two days riding and getting a better feel for the R1200RT.

PLUSES:

I think its best feature maybe is its light weight. Even filling up the gas tank increases the mass noticeably, so that's good because you don't have to fill it up but you can if you want to for longer range. Large tank is a plus.

Another unique positive is its looks. It is definitely one of the better looking cycles out there, especially compared to the Japanese or Scandinavian competition.

I readjusted the position of the Ilium Foot Pegs, moving them down and to the front. Now I would say that the ride is quite comfortable. The seat is flat, which is good. Some other BMWs I've had were "U" shaped, which I cannot abide. The handlebars are just right so, overall, I'm quite comfortable. Nice, roomy bags and topcase.

The Boxer engine character/ low gravity center is obviously a plus that no other has, maybe the Ural. I like the windscreen. The "U" dip at the top of the windscreen is a genius idea. I like the heated bars and seats. Harley has those too.

NEGATIVES:

Still nothing special to say about the power. It is adequate. My '83 GS1100e had more grunt 'n' go and I believe Harleys torque out better.

The turn indicator switch is very poor. It's tiny and I can't reliably locate or feel it with gloves on. BMWs used to have left hand right hand indicators. I think the magazines talked BMW out of them. Big mistake. I just use arm signals. Advantage Harley.

Biggest negative is the price, both the new MSRP and the price I paid for a four year old example. I should never have paid $14.9K and it sticks in my craw. The 2010 - '13 model years would be the better investment, IMO. I understand the newer wet head has some more power and probably is more rideable in the heat, but I doubt the additional power is that noticeable.

The electronic gewgaws with the multifunction display is not desirable to me. I have to sift through too many screens to get where I want to go. Most of the features are interesting but not worth $2000. The modes and the ASE are not valuable to me. The radio is not valuable to me. Most riders are better served with in-helmet speaker bluetooth and their smartphones. I still cannot find AM radio. I suspect Angela and her comrades don't want me listening to Rush Limbaugh.

I still only have one key, which isn't enough when you have the not-color-matched topcase. I do not care for the bad trip the BMW Dealer I purchased from put me on.

Over all, it is a very fine ride and I would like to keep it, if I can learn to live with the feeling that I got fleeced.

Last edited:
...Still nothing special to say about the power. It is adequate. I'd '83 GS1100e had more and I believe Harleys torque out better.

It's big twin, but it is not a Harley. It likes to rev. Keep it up above 3000 rpm, it will be much more fun to ride. Best gas mileage is also in the 3000-4000 rpm range.

Interesting thread. Although I've owned and tested other bikes, the thought that comes to mind most about my '16 RT is that its weight is so balanced and it fits me so well (after peg lowerers and barbacks) that I don't RIDE it so much as I WEAR it.

Great bike.

It's big twin, but it is not a Harley. It likes to rev. Keep it up above 3000 rpm, it will be much more fun to ride. Best gas mileage is also in the 3000-4000 rpm range.

This right here. It likes to rev. Keep it above 4k and it will sing. I normally ride in the 4-7k range.

This right here. It likes to rev. Keep it above 4k and it will sing. I normally ride in the 4-7k range.
WOW! Harley Ultra Glide vs. RT is apples to oranges. I own a 2016 RT with everything and it's fantastic. Never owned a Harley but owned Honda CB's, a 2003 ST1100, a 2000RT and a 2013RT. Maybe you should try the K1600 bagger? Mine is still in storage at MAX BMW in CT. and can't wait to see it maybe next week.

I have a Heritage softail and my son has a stage one ultra limited. There is no metric where I am not faster...off the line, passing top cruise speed...

Re: electronics and screen scrolling- I agree with you! I like the features but it's too distracting to keep scrolling foreward- even if I only need to go one screen back- there is no "back"

The auto shift (whatever it's called) is an acquired taste- I couldnt say exactl;y when I use it- but I do! LOL and glad to have iot when I use it.

I only got one key on my brand new 2016 RT I'm sure you could get another for $700 or $800 (I keed- I hope)

When I go from my BMW to the Harley (I have both) my whole mindset changes...I even have different gear and I develop a German accent and I don't "wave" I salute!! Ja Ja Seriously 2 different bikes and I love them both. I tour on one and cruise on the other.

edit: I have learned after ANY purchase, I stop looking- especially at prices...the deal is done it was what it was and I don't like to beat myself up with my ...impulsiveness? stupidity? bargaining inability?

<snip> I have learned after ANY purchase, I stop looking- especially at prices...the deal is done it was what it was and I don't like to beat myself up with my ...impulsiveness? stupidity? bargaining inability?

THIS ^^^

Good deal or bad, it's done so worrying about it won't help at all. It is actually hurting you (the OP) because it's affecting your ability to bond with the machine.

THIS ^^^

Good deal or bad, it's done so worrying about it won't help at all. It is actually hurting you (the OP) because it's affecting your ability to bond with the machine.

Oh, no. I have to keep on worrying about it or I’d have to find something else to keep me awake nights.

If I take the kbb listing value and add the two option package values and a price for the top case then my pain eases somewhat. But not completely because I still miss the road Glide Ultra more than figures show.

As several suggested I do, I have spent two days riding and getting a better feel for the R1200RT.

Still nothing special to say about the power. It is adequate. My '83 GS1100e had more grunt 'n' go and I believe Harleys torque out better.

Over all, it is a very fine ride and I would like to keep it, if I can learn to live with the feeling that I got fleeced.

Downshift! It is not a HD v-twin. Keep in mind you don't run it at 2,500 RPM like a Harley, it is happier at 3,500 and above.

As for the fleecing, yup, the dealer could have treated you better.

I am dealing with a fleecing too, but self inflicted. I bought a used 2018 R1200RT last fall that had 125 miles on it, long story on the bike and miles, but at the time it was an alright deal for $21,000, list was $25'ish, but BMW was giving the dealers a kick back to get the price down to $22,500 that I did not know about, so I could have bought a new bike for 1,500 more. Now come to this spring. 2018's are sold all over for $18K-$19K so my deal is really bad today. I borrowed money to buy it and now owe more than it would be to replace it. Well, crap! Live and learn!

Life is a Konmarie undertaking; one should keep what brings joy and discard the rest lest it’s clutter mar the feng shui of one’s life.
:D

Motorcycles are always a poor investment money-wise. They are expensive to buy and maintain, depreciate rapidly, increase insurance and other costs, and so on. Sensible people look backward on their motorcycle investments and weep, the rest of us look forward at the thrill, enjoyment, relaxation, camaraderie and more that we will get from riding our irrational purchases; we grin with anticipation and pleasure, both inwardly and outwardly. It has always been thus—we either imbibe the exhilaration and crave the next riding fix, or turn away and seek enjoyment and meaning in...counting coins, I guess.

Time to pour a couple more Black Russian doubles,
:drink ;)
DG

PLUSES:

I think its best feature maybe is its light weight. Even filling up the gas tank increases the mass noticeably, so that's good because you don't have to fill it up but you can if you want to for longer range. Large tank is a plus.

Another unique positive is its looks. It is definitely one of the better looking cycles out there, especially compared to the Japanese or Scandinavian competition.

I readjusted the position of the Ilium Foot Pegs, moving them down and to the front. Now I would say that the ride is quite comfortable. The seat is flat, which is good. Some other BMWs I've had were "U" shaped, which I cannot abide. The handlebars are just right so, overall, I'm quite comfortable. Nice, roomy bags and topcase.

The Boxer engine character/ low gravity center is obviously a plus that no other has, maybe the Ural. I like the windscreen. The "U" dip at the top of the windscreen is a genius idea. I like the heated bars and seats. Harley has those too.

NEGATIVES:

The turn indicator switch is very poor. It's tiny and I can't reliably locate or feel it with gloves on. BMWs used to have left hand right hand indicators. I think the magazines talked BMW out of them. Big mistake. I just use arm signals. Advantage Harley.

Biggest negative is the price, both the new MSRP and the price I paid for a four year old example. I should never have paid $14.9K and it sticks in my craw. The 2010 - '13 model years would be the better investment, IMO. I understand the newer wet head has some more power and probably is more rideable in the heat, but I doubt the additional power is that noticeable.

The electronic gewgaws with the multifunction display is not desirable to me. I have to sift through too many screens to get where I want to go. Most of the features are interesting but not worth $2000. The modes and the ASE are not valuable to me. The radio is not valuable to me. Most riders are better served with in-helmet speaker bluetooth and their smartphones. I still cannot find AM radio. I suspect Angela and her comrades don't want me listening to Rush Limbaugh.

I still only have one key, which isn't enough when you have the not-color-matched topcase. I do not care for the bad trip the BMW Dealer I purchased from put me on.

You only get fleeced if you sell it.

Downshift! It is not a HD v-twin. Keep in mind you don't run it at 2,500 RPM like a Harley, it is happier at 3,500 and above.

As for the fleecing, yup, the dealer could have treated you better.

I am dealing with a fleecing too, but self inflicted. I bought a used 2018 R1200RT last fall that had 125 miles on it, long story on the bike and miles, but at the time it was an alright deal for $21,000, list was $25'ish, but BMW was giving the dealers a kick back to get the price down to $22,500 that I did not know about, so I could have bought a new bike for 1,500 more. Now come to this spring. 2018's are sold all over for $18K-$19K so my deal is really bad today. I borrowed money to buy it and now owe more than it would be to replace it. Well, crap! Live and learn!

At first this post made me feel better from a misery loves company respective. Then I started to think that ... .

While Harleys do have torque, your new BMW actually makes 112 lbs. ft. of torque. That might just be more than your HD! You will learn it is there. I get the feeling you are riding the RT like you did the Harley. The power is there, you just are not tapping it. But power isn't everything anyway. The multiple screens that bother you....will become quite normal and welcome to use in time. Quicker than you think! Turn signals? I had the older style....very glad BMW went to the more universal style which again is something you have to relearn.

You have already gotten around what I thought was the biggest hurdle. The seating position. You have worked that out to your satisfaction. You mention the windshield...as good as that is there are aftermarket alternatives that improve on it significantly! Hang in there. The more you learn about the bike, the more comfortable you will get. Which will lead to more riding and that leads to being more comfortable! Like I said in my first reply, you couldn't be on two more different bikes.

If you want good power from the bike you need to be above 4,000 rpm if you want real power you need to be in the power-band which is I think starts at about 6,200 rpm I'm sure other know the details. The first time I was in the power-band and gave more throttle the bike pulled me back, I was surprised how powerful this bike is. Get the RPM's up and a smile should appear.

Jay

Oh, no. I have to keep on worrying about it or I’d have to find something else to keep me awake nights.

If I take the kbb listing value and add the two option package values and a price for the top case then my pain eases somewhat. But not completely because I still miss the road Glide Ultra more than figures show.

Look for a used Road Glide Ultra at a good price... Then you get that bike to ride as well and can average out the two deals in your mind so in one the dealer was favored and in the other you got the upper hand.

Once you get used to the RT, you might like the memory of the Road Glide Ultra more than actually riding one... (that goes for any bike, New vs the memory of what you used to have)

Back