• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800ST side cases

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
We wentto a local dealer last weekend to look at the F800's. Their ST was out on loan so we only got to look at the S. They told us that the side cases for the ST are the same as the K1200S. Does anyone have these? If so, what are your feelings towards them?

Since we do a fair amount of touring, we are considering trading in my 650 GS on the 800 ST. Not to be picky but I just don't like the luggage. They bags seem very small compared to my 650 GS and my hubby's RT. There is no trunk unless I look towards Givi or someone else. Furthermore, the whole idea of expanding them seems poorly thought out. Yes, they expand but leaving a soft expansion panel with nothing more than two plastic straps to protect it. To me, it looks as though the bags have just flopped open. The dealer touts them as the greatest invention in sport touring. I'm inclined to believe otherwise.

This is really holding me back. What's your opinion?

F800 Luggage

I have an F800ST on order (it should be arriving any day) and have considered the options thoroughly. I'm with you on the BMW bags, they're too small (15 litre closed, 25 litre expanded) and fiddly to deal with for my purposes. I've had BMW factory bags on 6 Beemers and this is the first time I wouldn't consider the OEM bags.

A lot of people seem to be going with the Givi V35 bags. I have a set on order along with a Givi top box to coincide with the arrival of the bike. The mounts are quite hideous (very 1970's), but the bags are great, (like BMW bags of yore) and at 35 litres are very functional. I'm not concerned about the appearance of the mounts since I leave the bags on all the time.

Check out the Givi http://www.giviusa.com/ and F800 Rider http://www.f800riders.org/forum/ websites for more info.

I was very much against the stock 800ST bags at first, primarily because of the price. However, I have decided to get them.

Why?

The majority of my riding will be in the city but I will be doing some long hauls (+8000 kms planned this summer).

1. In city riding I need some place to store rain and cold liners and other bits and pieces that I carry and for small item storage from runs to the store. 15 Litres will be enough.

2. On long hauls I will be going 1up. For that the 25 litres per side plus a soft top box and and tank bag will be plenty of storage for me.

3. The bike came with the mounts so I don't have to buy new Givi mounts for the V35.

4. The cases come with internal waterproof liners/bags that can be removed leaving the hard cases on the bike. Other liners are extra I believe.

5. The locks are keyed to my ignition key (not sure if GiVi can do this or not).

6. They don't look the greatest when they are expanded but as they can be ratcheted down they offer the flexibility of pretty much any volume between 15 and 25.

7. Plus I am still on my discount program from my bike purchase so the price difference will not be that much.

If the F800ST bags are the same as the K1200 bags you should repost your question on the K bikes board. The ST is so new you're not likely to get many responses from people with first hand experience here.

F800ST bags and front brake reservoir

I waited a year for the F800ST to be available in the U.S. Instead I just bought an R1200GS for two reasons: First, the bags, not only are the F800 bags small, there are no really good attachment points for larger bags. I custom made mounts for large Nonfango bags for my F650CS and they have worked well without drilling any holes in the bike. I doubt this can be done on the F800. The second reason not to buy the bike is the reservoir for the front brake fluid looks like an afterthought. It sets high above the handlebar and has a hose to connect it to the master cylinder. So there are three more places for it to leak as well as looking like someone stuck half a pop can on the handlebar. BMW has some great master cylinder/reservoir units (such as the one used on the F650CS), why not use one? As a professional engineer, I greatly respect and appreciate most BMW designs but they failed on those two points on the F800. Unfortunately, I would look at the brake reservoir every time I rode the bike.

The second reason not to buy the bike is the reservoir for the front brake fluid looks like an afterthought. It sets high above the handlebar and has a hose to connect it to the master cylinder. So there are three more places for it to leak as well as looking like someone stuck half a pop can on the handlebar. BMW has some great master cylinder/reservoir units (such as the one used on the F650CS), why not use one? As a professional engineer, I greatly respect and appreciate most BMW designs but they failed on those two points on the F800. Unfortunately, I would look at the brake reservoir every time I rode the bike.

Yes! I almost forgot about that! I sat on the bile that was on display and it immediately draws attention. I thought that was a pretty poor design but really don't know enough yet to figure out where it would be better suited.

I will post my question on the K board as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Great site for anything F800.

I saw photos of the Triumph 675 Daytona Triple. It has exactly the same fluid reservoir in the same place. Maybe it is due to limited space in the cockpit.

This is really holding me back. What's your opinion?

Pack less. The more I travel, the less I take. Do you REALLY need anything more than a change of clothes, a change of underwear and socks, and a bag of toiletries? I don't anymore.

Great site for anything F800.

I saw photos of the Triumph 675 Daytona Triple. It has exactly the same fluid reservoir in the same place. Maybe it is due to limited space in the cockpit.

My '99 Sprint ST has the same set-up (although the mount doesn't look as cheezy) and it's not a problem.

Pack less. The more I travel, the less I take. Do you REALLY need anything more than a change of clothes, a change of underwear and socks, and a bag of toiletries? I don't anymore.

Come on! you're talking to a woman! I've done really well packing for a week at a time in my 650GS bags. Now you want me to further eliminate? Do you guys have any clue how hard it is to travel with only two pair of shoes and two hair implements??? :banghead

I heard that they tried other locations for the fluid reservoir but it would develop bubbles in the fluid, so they put it on the isolated bracket. The vibrations on the bike are very low level, often little more than a slight buzz, but I guess that is enough to cause problems.

I really don't notice the reservoir. It is just part of the bike like anything else.

As far as the cases are concerned, I love them. But really I have nothing to compare with, having just returned to riding after 26 years and only bare bike at that time. The expandability is great, will easily take a fullface and can be adjusted to just the size needed. I may find that they are too small for long trips but I doubt it as I am going 1up. With a top bag and tank bag and maybe another bag on the rear seat I will have plenty of room. No need for all the female toiletries, a bar of soap, a toothbrush and deodorant and I am good to go till they run out.

Back