• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Zumo 660LM Fuel Gauge Issue

Hello

I purchased a new Zumo 660LM at the Salem Rally and used it on the remainder of my trip. I don't seem to be able to get the fuel gauge to operate properly. I read the manual and set it up as directed; however, the warning appears at different mileages and the visual warning only flashes on the screen and there is no audible warning. Tech support was not of any help. Anyone else have a similar problem?
thanks in advance for the help.

You have set two values, total miles and how much advance you wish to be warn.

Om my R1200S I set #1 to 190 (even though I can go 10-15 more) and 40 warning. This gets it correctly every time.

Gas Gauge Issue

Joordan

I set "Distance Per Tank" at 200 and "Low Fuel Warning" at 195. Iss that correct? You indicated you set the second miles at "40". Am I misunderstanding the way the warning works? I feel pretty ignorant at this point.

Low fuel warning should be 40-50 not 195 or you'll get notice 5 miles into riding.

I don't seem to be able to get the fuel gauge to operate properly.

Does your BMW model not have a bar graph fuel gauge and warning light?

That is all I use on mine and I can easily trust it down to 2 liters of the 30 liter capacity.

And if not the on-board fuel gauge, the trip odometer works quite well.

My BMW does not a fuel gauge. It has a 50 miles countdown to empty that is not as accurate as a Garmin unit!

The Garmin gauge is dead-on once set correctly, and it'll point you to fuel stations once a warning is on.

The model is a 2007 R1200S and most do not have a fuel gauge because to have one required the PC and most do not. I have engine temp, and gear. And occasionally, a 50-0 count down.

The Garmin has proven more accurate with my guesses on range (190) and warning (40 or 50). That it points me to the nearest fuel stations that whole time is priceless, too.

The model is a 2007 R1200S and most do not have a fuel gauge.

In that case, it is understandable that anything else might be more accurate. No fuel gauge? Dumb or what!

Without a fuel gauge, I could go on past fuel burn history (my Excel fuel consumption history spreadsheet shows a very narrow range) using my trip odometer.

Without a fuel gauge, I could go on past fuel burn history (my Excel fuel consumption history spreadsheet shows a very narrow range) using my trip odometer.

I have been keeping Excel records on my /7 since I got it in 1980...obviously no gas gage. I know within probably 0.05 gallons how much fuel is in the main tank. When I hit the first indication of needing to go to reserve, I do a quick mental calculation of fuel mileage. Knowing also reasonably well how much fuel I have on usable reserve, I can then quickly calculate miles to empty...I'm then looking at the map to figure where my next gas stop is. But it does take cumulative history to be able to do that.

It also lets me know if the engine/carb performance is within normal bounds.

When I hit the first indication of needing to go to reserve, I do a quick mental calculation of fuel mileage. Knowing also reasonably well how much fuel I have on usable reserve, I can then quickly calculate miles to empty...I'm then looking at the map to figure where my next gas stop is. But it does take cumulative history to be able to do that.

Here is a trick for GS airhead riders with dual petcocks.

When my engine stumbles indicating a need to switch to reserve, I note my mileage, switch my right petcock to reserve and my left petcock to off. The right side of the tank is smaller due to the electrics (ignition module, voltage regulator, relays) under it. When the engine stumbles again, I note the mileage gone since switching to reserve, I switch my right petcock to off and my left petcock to reserve. I can now go at least that same distance again since there is more fuel on that side of the gas tank. As for the gas sloshing about in the gas tank, well that is minimal and if it does quit on me, I can switch the right petcock to reserve and whatever sloshed over to that side will get me up someone's driveway...it never came to that.

Fuel management...from my flying days. Mind you, we never cut it that close. :)

It also lets me know if the engine/carb performance is within normal bounds.

Also a reason I do so.

Alex -

This getting a bit off topic, but I do exactly the same w/ right/left petcocks. I know how much fuel I have in each tank saddle. To get the last of the fuel, the tank can be removed and tilted to get all the fuel to one side...might get another 5 miles. But it has never come to that!

No fuel gauge? Dumb or what!

You are being stupid not understanding that most R-S models did not want a trip PC with TPM and assorted garbage. Most were track models. Only 4K came into the USA and there a few hundred left!

Back