• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 K 1300 GT rear shock replacement/repair

melpat1

The above bike has 39,000 miles on it. Took it in and the local BMW dealer advised the rear shock was leaking oil and needed replaced. He advised the cost, including labor was $4,000!!!!!!
Hard to believe. Any suggestions besides riding it off a cliff?

A buddy of mine had the same experience with his K1300GT. Guy at the dealership said it could not be rebuilt. I thought that's outrageous and did some research. To cut to the end of the story the suspension was rebuilt by Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn Ontario for a fraction of what the dealer quoted. My buddy was quite pleased. I have no affiliation. Acceleratedtechnologies.ca

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

That is about the mileage where I replaced both shocks on my 2010 K13GT. I installed HyperPro shocks with ESA, from EPM Performance; sent in my old shocks so they could move over the ESA bits. The shocks were much, much less expensive than OEM, especially with the rally special they had going, and I did the labor myself. Not an easy job, especially if you are not well-equipped with tools. There are other aftermarket vendors you could check with as well, like Tom Cutter at http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com, or Ted Porter at Beemershop.com.

If you decide to go with aftermarket shocks make sure you carefully follow the instructions on setting the adjustments before removing the old shocks.

Best,
DG

I also have a set of the Hyprerpro from EPM. They were around $1300 for the pair, and they will rebuild them after 30000 miles. I'm very satisfied with the service and the ride.

I had the same experience. Guy at the dealership said it could not be rebuilt. I thought that's outrageous and did some research. To cut to the end of the story the suspension was rebuilt by Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn Ontario for a fraction of what the dealer quoted.

Ditto. John Sharrard and company know their stuff.

A buddy of mine had the same experience with his K1300GT. Guy at the dealership said it could not be rebuilt. I thought that's outrageous and did some research. To cut to the end of the story the suspension was rebuilt by Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn Ontario for a fraction of what the dealer quoted. My buddy was quite pleased. I have no affiliation. Acceleratedtechnologies.ca

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the info about Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn...….I've been looking for a shop who was capable of rebuilding my Wilbers !!! :thumb

Ted Porter's BeemerShop can rebuild Wilbers.

Thanks tonyfr, yes I’m aware of the Beemershop as that’s where I purchased the Wilber’s for my RT. But as I live in Canada,it’s more convenient to have an outfit close by that can perform rebuilds as opposed to shipping to California

But as I live in Canada,it’s more convenient to have an outfit close by that can perform rebuilds as opposed to shipping to California

A real BMW rider would ride out to Costa Mesa to get the shocks serviced. Maybe grab a coffee at the same time. :laugh

Kidding, of course!

Back