• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Huh.... What was Honda thinking?

You quoted this part of my post, did you see it?

For what it is worth, a rather well-known longtime (and VERY long distance) BMW Rider has one and seems to like it quite a bit.

I think pointing out that Honda calling things like ABS on a 2010 bike a "Honda Innovation" is well-placed, ABS has been on bikes for 20 years, fuel injection for at least 25 years, and shaft drives, well, even quite a bit longer than that.

personally, i don't care for the built in luggage system.

It appears to me that BMW owners are at the top of bike bashers.

Honda may have been reading this forum about how many want BMW to make the K75RT again and cash in. Now that Honda has made a similar bike, you guys are bashing it.

I thought the K75C I had was rather mundane and unexciting, a recurring theme about the "Dullville" in this thread.

Too heavy, the Honda is 47lbs lighter than the K75RT 567/520. Power is 75HP for the K. 65HP for the NT. 1/4 mile times K75-13.5/ Nt-14.0. Top speed K75-116mph, NT-115mph.

I'm guessing that after inflation adjusting the K75RT had a much higher price.

These specs are from http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/

Ralph Sims

Honda says a NT700V has a curb weight of 562 pounds and yes, it's 50 or so pounds lighter than the K75RT (a 1980s design). The Honda is still 100 pounds more than the F800ST and almost the same as the R1200RT. It's no "lightweight" by any standard, except maybe compared to a Gold Wing - 928 pounds! - and pointing out facts like this is not bashing.

The NT700V would be a much nicer ride if it were slimmed down as many other bikes have been. I just do not see it as a viable alternative to a true middleweight sport-tourer unless there is some very compelling reason: legal size/power/license restrictions; insurance; import restrictions (remember why we have 700cc bikes in the first place); or whatever. With the BMW, your money obviously buys engineering and materials that reduce weight and improve performance.

BTW, I like Hondas just fine. I've owned all of the Japanese makes at one time or another. Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Suzuki. They were mostly reliable, fun and the price was right.

Honda says a NT700V has a curb weight of 562 pounds and yes, it's 50 or so pounds lighter than the K75RT (a 1980s design). The Honda is still 100 pounds more than the F800ST and almost the same as the R1200RT. It's no "lightweight" by any standard, except maybe compared to a Gold Wing - 928 pounds! - and pointing out facts like this is not bashing.

The NT700V would be a much nicer ride if it were slimmed down as many other bikes have been. I just do not see it as a viable alternative to a true middleweight sport-tourer unless there is some very compelling reason: legal size/power/license restrictions; insurance; import restrictions (remember why we have 700cc bikes in the first place); or whatever. With the BMW, your money obviously buys engineering and materials that reduce weight and improve performance.

BTW, I like Hondas just fine. I've owned all of the Japanese makes at one time or another. Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Suzuki. They were mostly reliable, fun and the price was right.

I actually agree with you. It's not a bike I would buy, however my point is so many on this forum have wished the F800ST was a RT or BMW would make a K75RT and are bashing a different brand bike that is so close to the K75RT.

I wonder why die hard Bemmerphiles even care what anyone else makes.

Ralph Sims

personally, i don't care for the built in luggage system.

Agreed. What happens after a tip over? I would rather have a detachable bag that can be easily replaced. And, those integrated bags may make some maintenance actions a bit harder. They would always be in the way.

Heavy motorcycles!

I don't like them, all that huge weight defeats what a motorcycle is to me.

You don't need it to tour or sport ride.

you like the weight... get a cage.

yeah! get a cage.

Looks like an updated, somewhat less ugly, Pacific Coast. Even the engine is almost the same size. Being a Honda, it is probably a good bike and very functional, in a generic, bland sort of way.

I don't like them, all that huge weight defeats what a motorcycle is to me.

You don't need it to tour or sport ride.

you like the weight... get a cage.

yeah! get a cage.

I agree! Sure, you "can" make a heavier bike do more things, if you work at it. And the more riding is work, the less fun it becomes. What's the point in that?

I can't believe how heavy a lot of bikes have become. I guess I am old school; I think, if you can't pick it up and push it by yourself, it is too big, and you shouldn't be riding it. :hide Maybe this is why so many such riders do not travel alone.

My 91 K75RT weighs 600 lbs full of fuel on a certified scale. Has it gained weight from dirt/oil buildup etc, or did BMW understate the weight?

NT is a gr8 looking midweight tourer, IMO.
To bash other mfgs. shows a sign of insecurity or some type of justification in owning "their" brand.
I enjoy "all" bikes regardless of mfgs. Why? Choice is wonderful, what if you were in U.S.S.R. and your choice was only Ural:scratch lol.
Seems North America is infatuated with the huge displacement bikes, perhaps Europe too, what with the 2300 cc Triumph.
When on vacation in Mexico, Asia, bikes were everywhere, but not usually more that 150cc, perhaps due to $$$ and that is their "only" means of transportation.

We are spoiled with choices, and yet we find it easy to be critical of it.
I just purchased a 31 year old 500cc Honda to toy around with, its awesome, my 1st Honda, and it is shaft drive without a history of catastrophic FD failures.:thumb

Interesting you bring up the U.S.S.R., where people were told what they could and couldn't say and think.

NT is a gr8 looking midweight tourer, IMO.
To bash other mfgs. shows a sign of insecurity or some type of justification in owning "their" brand.
I enjoy "all" bikes regardless of mfgs. Why? Choice is wonderful, what if you were in U.S.S.R. and your choice was only Ural:scratch lol.
Seems North America is infatuated with the huge displacement bikes, perhaps Europe too, what with the 2300 cc Triumph.
When on vacation in Mexico, Asia, bikes were everywhere, but not usually more that 150cc, perhaps due to $$$ and that is their "only" means of transportation.

We are spoiled with choices, and yet we find it easy to be critical of it.
I just purchased a 31 year old 500cc Honda to toy around with, its awesome, my 1st Honda, and it is shaft drive without a history of catastrophic FD failures.:thumb

That doesn't mean some bikes aren't really boring or ugly or otherwise unappealing.

That doesn't mean some bikes aren't really boring or ugly or otherwise unappealing.

True enough, there are some ugly bikes out in the world, but "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder":drink

I still think the NT is a good looking midweight that may steal some sales from the BMW lineup.

As far as Ural...well someday I think I might like the sidecar in my fleet,:scratch

With 2 wheel drive it might extend my riding season.:thumb

Perhaps instead of the F800S and F800ST (which were too close in style and looks) BMW should revisit the F800 market with the F800R and a F800ST with a slightly larger fairing and bags more like those on the R12 series.

Light weight, belt drive, easy handling, great power (much better than the Deauville) some fairing and bags and a price point a few thousand below the R12R, and BMW would have a great marketable bike!

Saw the Honda on the street the other day. Nice looking, if not striking, bike. It looks like an ST1300 puppy. I was not at all surprised that the pilot was pushing 70, riding both very cautiously and as though he'd put in a lot of miles over many years. It fills the exact niche that the K75 did. Not too sporty. Not too fast. Relatively comfortable. Relatively benign. More appliance than motorcycle.

Saw the Honda on the street the other day. .... It fills the exact niche that the K75 did. Not too sporty. Not too fast. Relatively comfortable. Relatively benign. More appliance than motorcycle.

yeah, that is true. a well-sorted and suspension-improved K75S would act much like an electric carving knife confronted with a roast of a curvy road. slice & dice, coming up. ;)

In the spirit of prepping it for sale, I'm re-christening my bike Knary75 and modding it with Husky logo stickers. :thumb

Back