• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sale of a 09 R1200rt? Saw the flea markets, ton of RT's for sale. Do they sell?

mrtnfischer

Der Kaptain
I was thinking of posting my low R1200RT for sale, but there are so many listed. Is this the place to sell them?
They also seem high priced. Does anyone have experience selling in the flea market?? Let me know, I was thinking that I might go to Craigs list or Ebay... What say you.????:dance

The larger your audience, the better the chance of selling it. Don't forget the IBMWR marketplace.. it's quite effective, especially since our fleamarket really got messed up. Ebay will cost $$$. Craigslist is free. I had great success selling somewhat expensive vehicles on free venues like Craigslist (had to sell a Porsche for an estate - CraigsList came through in 3 days..) Less luck on Ebay actually.

eBay is actually really cheap national advertising, it's only a few bucks to list, and if you sell the bike through eBay it's $125, if it doesnt sell then there is no additional charge. Craigslist is ok but you have to filter the Crazy people out, and after a few days your add is buried. I list as many places as I can though to get the most exposure.

What an appropriate topic given that I've got the most expensive R bike for sale last I checked. I've got the bike listed here, BMWLT and Craigslist and haven't heard a thing. I think I listed in CL 2 weeks ago now. I have the bike listed at less than the suggested retail price on NADA and confirmed with my dealer that the price isn't too high. 2012 premium package on NADA suggests a sale price of $19,230 and my dealer wouldn't be asking any less than that for it. But here's my other thought, I listed that the price is negotiable so if someone was interested why not make an offer? Being that I've had none, it leads me to believe folks aren't interested. Do you think $18,990 is too high for a 2012 with the premium package?

Now, before anyone suggests my dealer may not being honest with me about my price being dead on, they know as soon as I sell this bike I'll be buying another one so it wouldn't be in their interest to delay the sale of my bike.

I have sold a number of bikes, Craig's list, with all it weirdo's, still has been the best for me.

I'm convinced that if a bike does not sell, or get hits, it is priced too high. What matters is what that particular model has sold for privately. What NADA states, or what a dealer gets relates little to selling big ticket items in a weak economy. I also think that people who have money to buy an expensive used BMW, also have the money to just buy new.

I find most of the BMW's posted on the Forums and IBMWR are priced higher than what you can find in other formats.

My last BMW I sold a couple months ago sold in a day on Craig's list.

Anyway, best of luck to the two of you who posted about trying to sell bikes right now.....It can be no fun.

I sold my Harley in a week and it was priced higher than it's NADA value last year on CL as well as another HD previous to that on CL. I suppose that BMW appeals to a smaller market which very well may have a negative affect on what it can be sold for in the private market and there could also be trepidation given then new water boxer in the RT next year. How do you determine though value if no one makes an offer? Negotiating usually involves some give and take, not hoping the price will be lowered to the point a buyer is comfortable. I agree that NADA is not the authority on price, it's a lagging indicator however you must have a starting point.

. I agree that NADA is not the authority on price, it's a lagging indicator however you must have a starting point.

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. I know in my case, I have never checked NADA before pricing a bike or car to sell. I go off the market, what is selling and what just sits and gets listed over and over again. All that really matters is what people are currently paying for a comparable model from a private party.

When I bought my K1600 I had a couple of months to wait before it came and I didn't want to be "bike less" so I decided to take my time and sell my Harley low rider for as much as I could get. Started with an ad for a couple hundred less than retail (and I had probably 2k in extras). Not a bite. Every week I bumped my listing and dropped the price by 100 or 200. I think it took me six weeks and first guy to call drove 500 miles and took it.

My experience with bikes other than BMW's is that the "real" market price is greater than trade-in, and less than retail. . .but probably makes a difference where you're located and how popular the bike is. I live in a desert as far as bmw r bikes are concerned! :)

I'm amazed at some of the prices I see on Craigslist, saw a 96 sportster,stock that the guy wanted 9500 for. . .

Good luck,
Dave

I think you're priced kind of realistically for a starting price. Maybe a tad high? I would think a final selling price in a range of around 17,000 to 17,750 is what you could expect. Maybe an asking price of 18,500 would be more in line? I dunno. Your mileage is certainly low. I assume it is still under warranty but I don't see a mention of that in your ad. You should mention that for a buyers peace of mind. I won the K1300S in the Superstakes but traded it immediately for the RT. We settled on a price of 18K. My RT is a 2011 bought last season with 9K miles equipped as yours is but also includes the matching trunk, which retails for like $1300 nowadays and a farkle or two more, like cylinder guards and highway pegs. The dealer also did a service and threw in new brake pads and new tires but mine does not have the NAV as yours does. The new tires and pads plus the remainder of the warranty sealed it for me. I felt that was very fair especially coming from a dealer. I also agree that BMWs don't have the mass interest of buyers that say Harley and Honda has unless you are already a BMW person. So my opinion is to just keep advertising on BMW specific sites and have patience.

What an appropriate topic given that I've got the most expensive R bike for sale last I checked. I've got the bike listed here, BMWLT and Craigslist and haven't heard a thing. I think I listed in CL 2 weeks ago now. I have the bike listed at less than the suggested retail price on NADA and confirmed with my dealer that the price isn't too high. 2012 premium package on NADA suggests a sale price of $19,230 and my dealer wouldn't be asking any less than that for it. But here's my other thought, I listed that the price is negotiable so if someone was interested why not make an offer? Being that I've had none, it leads me to believe folks aren't interested. Do you think $18,990 is too high for a 2012 with the premium package?

Now, before anyone suggests my dealer may not being honest with me about my price being dead on, they know as soon as I sell this bike I'll be buying another one so it wouldn't be in their interest to delay the sale of my bike.

Last edited:
Zbeemerider

I my humble opinion, your price is a little high. I just sold a 2011 RT with 10,000 miles on it, for $11,500, including navigation. Granted, this is not the best time of the year to sell a bike, but even in the peak riding season, I think $12,000- $12,500 would be the most this bike would bring. I find the best way to find what the bikes are selling for, not what people are asking, is to go to ebay, and look at the completed listings. That's usually a good guide. NADA or KBB really don't mean anything. I look at the BMW market place prices and can't believe what they are asking for them. But, that's just my opinion.

I my humble opinion, your price is a little high. I just sold a 2011 RT with 10,000 miles on it, for $11,500, including navigation. Granted, this is not the best time of the year to sell a bike, but even in the peak riding season, I think $12,000- $12,500 would be the most this bike would bring. I find the best way to find what the bikes are selling for, not what people are asking, is to go to ebay, and look at the completed listings. That's usually a good guide. NADA or KBB really don't mean anything. I look at the BMW market place prices and can't believe what they are asking for them. But, that's just my opinion.
It might have been an appropriate price two years ago when he posted that ...

JayJay

Do any dealers sell bikes on consignment?

Both ours have, depends on model ,year, and how many they have. I had the former Austin dealer sell my 05RT while we were many states away riding.
They charge a percentage, that time it was worth them dealing with it.

Back