• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bikes towing bikes

tomtietjen

slowrider
Anyone out there have any experiance with towing a motorcycle with another motorcycle with or without a sidecar. Saw an airhead at the rally with a sidecar and a rather heavy looking trailer with another airhead on it, didn't get a chance to talk to the owner.

I once saw a vintage hack towing a vintage bike. The bike was on a medium built trailer. Very basic. Axel with frame welded to a 'gutter' forthe bikes wheels. We were both rolling, so did not see details. I have never seen a two wheel bike towing another, but why not?
When (if) I retire, I would like to race a vintage boxer. My tow vehicule would be my rig.
The bike could also be placed in the place of the tub.
have fun...

Google's great.

004.jpg

funny-picture-9979523835.jpg

Don't know if you remember this article about the "Retriever".

retriever1.jpg

I meant the black goldwing towing the dirtbike. I had always heard that you should limit tonque wt to about 30 lbs and that looks like most of the wt of the dirt bike would be on the hitch.
Just bought my first sidecar on e-bay thur.,going to pick it up today.

I meant the black goldwing towing the dirtbike. I had always heard that you should limit tonque wt to about 30 lbs and that looks like most of the wt of the dirt bike would be on the hitch.
Just bought my first sidecar on e-bay thur.,going to pick it up today.

My bad. Goldwing owners seldom listen to reason, google: "darkside motorcycle"

Towing with a hack

This picture was taken my last day with my 73 R90/6. I was delivering it to the new owner behind my 84 R80RT hannigan fairing and 73 Velorex/ Jawa 560 Boat Tail sidecar. I wish the picture was better but it was taken with an early model digital. I have since towed many bikes like my NSU Lux and a couple of other airheads and Kawasaki 650 s with it.

Porkchopp

Attachments

• PORKCHOPPandSHERMANtowingBART2.jpg
    PORKCHOPPandSHERMANtowingBART2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
This is a better picture but doesn't show the car well.

Porkchopp

Attachments

• R80RThackwR906intow2.jpg
    R80RThackwR906intow2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 101
This picture was taken my last day with my 73 R90/6. I was delivering it to the new owner behind my 84 R80RT hannigan fairing and 73 Velorex/ Jawa 560 Boat Tail sidecar. I wish the picture was better but it was taken with an early model digital. I have since towed many bikes like my NSU Lux and a couple of other airheads and Kawasaki 650 s with it.

Porkchopp

Some pictures are instant classics. This is one of them.

Thanks

Bikes towing bikes...

Back in the day when I raced enduros (Pentons, Can-Ams, air cooled KTM's, and finally an '86 watercooled 400WR Husky..), we always kept a piece of 1/2" nylon strap about 20 feet long in the tool bag. Bowline in one end, around your rear fender loop allowed you to tow your buddy home. We did it with street bikes too. CAUTION! LAWYER WEASEL WORDS! Do NOT tie on to the towed bike. Take a few turns around the cross bar, dead center. Pass the bitter end to the left grip, and hold it married to the grip with your GLOVED hand. If things turn to worms (the towed bike swings wide like a water skier, and a guy on a Hodaka passes between the tower/towee, headed the opposite direction...just sayin'...it HAS happened..), you just let go, and coast to the side of the road. If tied on, all involved get an extemporaneous lesson in physics.
:banghead

Back in the day when I raced enduros (Pentons, Can-Ams, air cooled KTM's, and finally an '86 watercooled 400WR Husky..), we always kept a piece of 1/2" nylon strap about 20 feet long in the tool bag. Bowline in one end, around your rear fender loop allowed you to tow your buddy home. We did it with street bikes too. CAUTION! LAWYER WEASEL WORDS! Do NOT tie on to the towed bike. Take a few turns around the cross bar, dead center. Pass the bitter end to the left grip, and hold it married to the grip with your GLOVED hand. If things turn to worms (the towed bike swings wide like a water skier, and a guy on a Hodaka passes between the tower/towee, headed the opposite direction...just sayin'...it HAS happened..), you just let go, and coast to the side of the road. If tied on, all involved get an extemporaneous lesson in physics.
:banghead

:rofl :rofl :rofl BTDT

Back