• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is IN ABATE just a myth?

E

EXPATRIATED

I'm kidding really. But this is frustrating. I've been trying to register for the Indiana ABATE beginning riding course for 3 years now here in Indy. I waited all winter with the date they would begin taking registrations for this summer--was FINALLY going to get in there. Marked on the calendar and everything.

The process this year: Cannot register online. You print out the registration with your top 3 class choices (by weekend) and mail it in. (A DEvolution, of sorts, in my opinion). Well, I did that the first week registration was open and I got my letter and check back in the mail today telling me those dates are already full. Now that it's been a couple of weeks later since I first tried to register, I guess mailing ANOTHER letter in with 3 MORE dates will be pretty much hopeless. I doubt the classes are EMPTYING as time goes by.

I've never had formal basic rider training and 15,000 miles of riding later, doesn't look like I'm going to get it anytime soon--ugh!

PS---And if you are here and work for IN ABATE, the new system of registering is horrendous--why not let people register online like previous years? What with all the paper and snail mail?

just a rant...i feel better now. well, not really.

Is there someone you can call so your voice is heard? It sounds like the system is broke and needs fixing.

We registered both of my sons online here in ND (seperate years) and had no issues whatsoever.

Good luck.

I'm kidding really. But this is frustrating. I've been trying to register for the Indiana ABATE beginning riding course for 3 years now here in Indy. I waited all winter with the date they would begin taking registrations for this summer--was FINALLY going to get in there. Marked on the calendar and everything.

The process this year: Cannot register online. You print out the registration with your top 3 class choices (by weekend) and mail it in. (A DEvolution, of sorts, in my opinion). Well, I did that the first week registration was open and I got my letter and check back in the mail today telling me those dates are already full. Now that it's been a couple of weeks later since I first tried to register, I guess mailing ANOTHER letter in with 3 MORE dates will be pretty much hopeless. I doubt the classes are EMPTYING as time goes by.

I've never had formal basic rider training and 15,000 miles of riding later, doesn't look like I'm going to get it anytime soon--ugh!

PS---And if you are here and work for IN ABATE, the new system of registering is horrendous--why not let people register online like previous years? What with all the paper and snail mail?

just a rant...i feel better now. well, not really.

With 15K under your belt you can handle the ERC (Experienced Rider Course). So come to the MOA Rally in Tennessee; sign up for the course; and go away a better, safer, rider. If ABATE wishes to make it hard, so be it. MOA, and the BMW MOA Foundation that subsidizes some of the cost of the course, wish to make it easy!!

I don't know what "ABATE" is, but it took 4 years of investigating before I was able to find someone who would answer the phone, emails, etc for the MSF BRC that I took this past summer.

Is there someone you can call so your voice is heard? It sounds like the system is broke and needs fixing.

We registered both of my sons online here in ND (seperate years) and had no issues whatsoever.

Well, lessee:

North Dakota population: ~635,000

Indianapolis population: ~785,000

Can't imagine why he'd have any trouble there. :scratch

With 15K under your belt you can handle the ERC (Experienced Rider Course). So come to the MOA Rally in Tennessee; sign up for the course; and go away a better, safer, rider. If ABATE wishes to make it hard, so be it. MOA, and the BMW MOA Foundation that subsidizes some of the cost of the course, wish to make it easy!!

I'm definitely doing this!

+1 on the ERC!!!
I had taken the course at the Trenton Ralley some years ago.
More of a "hands on" approach,doing manuvers/skills, a real world scenerio.
Worth every minute.
Both my sons have done the MFS courses. Those courses are more for the beginner,with little or no knowledge at all.

+1 on the ERC!!!
I had taken the course at the Trenton Ralley some years ago.
More of a "hands on" approach,doing manuvers/skills, a real world scenerio.
Worth every minute.
Both my sons have done the MFS courses. Those courses are more for the beginner,with little or no knowledge at all.

I'm a guy who's been riding for over two decades now. Other riders who know me and the course give me good marks for my capability and street sense. But I'd bet I have a few absolutely MSF-prohibited habits ingrained in me - like maybe kickstand etiquette. I always wonder how much crap I'll get from MSF instructors for that. Maybe Greenwald will tell me ... :dunno

I'm a guy who's been riding for over two decades now. Other riders who know me and the course give me good marks for my capability and street sense. But I'd bet I have a few absolutely MSF-prohibited habits ingrained in me - like maybe kickstand etiquette. I always wonder how much crap I'll get from MSF instructors for that. Maybe Greenwald will tell me ... :dunno

Been riding the streets since 1974. And yeah,I've developed a few hard to break habits but nothing thats gonna get me in trouble or cause others hurt.
...for example,I always ride with a finger or two over/covering the front brake.
MSF wants you to use "All your fingers" when braking or clutching.
So, while doing the course,I used all my fingers. When back on my own,I go back to using a couple fingers covering the levers all the time. Habit I developed during my Dirt Racing Days. I could argue why my way is and has served me better but I'm not here to to do that.
But one thing is for sure...I'm not afraid to learn new and better riding skills!

I have friends in Illinois ABATE. Mostly Pirates an Chrome and Show riders if ya know what I mean. (I know,I shouldn't be judgemental...so sue me!!!:nyah )
What I don't agree with, is when the local ABATE Club has what they call a "Helmet Roast". 99.999% Pirates and Chrome n Show bikers throw a big party. "Helmets Suck" stickers are plastered all over on everything.
And then the "political side" of "Their *THE GOVERNMENT* telling me what and what NOT I can DO!" conversations or should I say arguements.
Now I'm all for "Your Choice or Not" when it comes to helmets and safety equipment, but don't make that issue into a "Farce" burning helmets in a bomb fire or a "Peer Pressure kinda thing" *Helmets are so Un-COOL*!...... or let alone a personal attack on me because "I choose to wear" ATGATT (all the gear all the time).
So I choose not to particpate in the ABATE community.

Back