• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Not earthshaking importance...

They're both fun to ride

i-WbvQfzf-X2.jpg

i-QKDKZM9-XL.jpg

i-KsHD2B7-XL.jpg

Can We Do Something About Drab Colors?

Will BMW listen to enough of us if we complain about not getting bright easy-to-see-in-poor-light-conditions colors? Seems to me we can gripe and whine all we want, but as long as we buy all the gray/blue/silver/black bikes BMW makes, they will continue to ignore us. What is the best way for us to let the company know we REALLY want bright colors? is there a specific corporate office/division to which we can start an email campaign?

BTW, car manufacturers for years have pumped the BS into all of us by claiming that "studies" show clearly that buyers want silver and white and black cars. But what has really happened, IMO, is that car manufacturers have been creating the color demand by making mostly silver and white cars, so of course that is what has been the best sellers. Most folks will buy what is immediately available rather than special order and wait for some period of time. Same goes for motorcycles I believe, at least in my personal case that is true.

Hey, thanks a lot. Quite a difference, no?

The first time I rode an R69S as a teen in the late '60s I thought of it as a big bike. Times change. The R69S is easier to work on, but it needs work 5-10 times as often!

And white is not a drab color :whistle

The first time I rode an R69S as a teen in the late '60s I thought of it as a big bike. Times change. The R69S is easier to work on, but it needs work 5-10 times as often!

And white is not a drab color :whistle

White is a fantastic color..........right up there with red.

Relative to size, a year or two ago I had a service at Hermy's BMW in southeast PA and they provided me a Triumph Bonneville as an overnight loaner. I had the same reaction........."I remember thinking these bikes were big".

At times, I think we might be missing something with the new larger models.

not so

Will BMW listen to enough of us if we complain about not getting bright easy-to-see-in-poor-light-conditions colors? Seems to me we can gripe and whine all we want, but as long as we buy all the gray/blue/silver/black bikes BMW makes, they will continue to ignore us. What is the best way for us to let the company know we REALLY want bright colors? is there a specific corporate office/division to which we can start an email campaign?

BTW, car manufacturers for years have pumped the BS into all of us by claiming that "studies" show clearly that buyers want silver and white and black cars. But what has really happened, IMO, is that car manufacturers have been creating the color demand by making mostly silver and white cars, so of course that is what has been the best sellers. Most folks will buy what is immediately available rather than special order and wait for some period of time. Same goes for motorcycles I believe, at least in my personal case that is true.

Not all of us REALLY want bright colours. My last 4 RT bikes have been Tundra Green, silver, black and 90 the anniversary black.very happy with those. Sales seem to indicate this as well.
Regards

Not all of us REALLY want bright colours. My last 4 RT bikes have been Tundra Green, silver, black and 90 the anniversary black.very happy with those. Sales seem to indicate this as well.
Regards

But who knows, perhaps they would sell even more if the offered other colors?

Can not prove the negative, only the kook aid drinkers would buy them even if yellow was the only color sold. :thumb

Geez, what isn't a conspiracy theory?

Really, BMW sales are at all-time highs because BMW is forcing their will on their customers?

But never fear, someone else will post another BMW conspiracy theory here by next week.

Ford Paints it's hot rod Focus ST bright red, it's very cool.

I once had a K100RS I painted Ferrari red, it got a lot of looks.

Geez, what isn't a conspiracy theory?

Really, BMW sales are at all-time highs because BMW is forcing their will on their customers?

But never fear, someone else will post another BMW conspiracy theory here by next week.

Kent,

I don't know why BMW sales are at an all time high, certainly not because BMW is forcing anything on anybody, but you do not know how many more units they could have sold if they offered additional color choice.

What BMW does force on their customers are terrible seats. Of course, the aftermarket seat guys sell a lot of merchandise because of it.

Corbin, Sargent, Russell, The Meyer brothers, Kontour and others make money ONLY because BMW stock seat suck.

Hardly anyone says "I love my stock seat". It is often the first thing changed when a owner takes delivery.

Even Jeff Dean, renowned BMW expert and collector rode home from the dealer and ordered a seat for his new R 1200 RT.

I don't know about that. My R11RS has a stock seat. Come to think about it ALL of my bikes have stock seats.

And I dare say I've ridden a few more miles than Jeff :wow

Voni
sMiling

I've had a stock seat on 4 out of the last 5 beemers owned. I have had a sheepskin pad on the last two, though. Does that still count as stock?

I don't know about that. My R11RS has a stock seat. Come to think about it ALL of my bikes have stock seats.

And I dare say I've ridden a few more miles than Jeff :wow

Voni
sMiling

No quarrel with you.

Only saying that it is well known that many riders don't like the stock seats. I've never had a stock seat that worked for me and I didn't need to ride a million miles to find that out. :wave After a few hundred miles either your butt hurts or it doesn't. I put on a Kontour seat right before riding from Cheyenne to Redmond and didn't even think about the seat or my butt. Previously, on the same bike with a stock seat, my butt hurt after 400 miles. The only change was the seat.

Of course, each aftermarket seat is different, what works for me may not work for you. BTW I've owned RDL, Sargent and Corbin seats as well. None of them worked as well for me as the Kontour.

YMDV

I've had a stock seat on 4 out of the last 5 beemers owned. I have had a sheepskin pad on the last two, though. Does that still count as stock?

If I send off my stock seat to Kontour and they rebuild it, is it still stock? :dunno

If the stock seat was good why would you need a sheepskin pad. :dunno

Back