• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Non Warranty - warranty?

I once had a pressure washer purchased from northern tool, the hose bib formed a crack rendering the washer useless, called and asked if I could PURCHASE the broken part. First question after model number they asked was when I purchased it. It was verified I had purchased it 11 months into a 12 month warrenty, but sinse it was close to end of warrenty they would not repair it. Remember I just wanted to purchase replacement part. Got handed up the line, to director of customer service, same BS line. My girlfriend at the time was a attorney, she called customer service director, and asked if he remembered my call, answere was yes, she then explained she was MY attorney and we would be seeking legal relief for their failure to honor their warrenty. Three days later I received a new pressure washer in the mail. Remember I just wanted to purchase a broken part
Bottom line, THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE, use whatever it takes to recover, if you feel it wasn't your fault
Small claims court is a good recourse for this issue

We've been down that road and with someone that had a history of failures under warranty. All I can say is BMW will dig their heels in further. Don Eilenberger has a flowchart for how BMW deals with these issues, you should ask him about it. Anyway, the best solution is not to have to deal with it.

It doesn't seem to me that either the brake issue or the FD water are legit warranty issues though the brake could be an original dealer assmebly error as easily as that of the tire installer.

Having said that, I don't understand dealerships that don't do stuff to keep a customer at least somewhat satisfied, especially when it doesn't cost much. If I'd have been on the service desk I'd have done better at explanation and found a way to put at least a few $ in the customer good will column.

OK, you admitted that you knew you'd be paying for the front sensor so I don't understand what that whole part of your argument was even about. If anyone caused it, it was the people who changed the tire. Or maybe it popped out of a clip, or a rock knocked it out of position, but most likely it was the tire changer especially if the wire is clipped to the brake hose (don't know if this is the case).

As for the FD, is there even an issue here? Has anyone told you why your cruise and ABS are still out? Water contamination isn't necessarily a big deal; it happens and then you change the oil. The tire changer wouldn't have had any reason to touch it. Most likely this was caused by the dealership who changed the FD oil but after you (in your own words) made a stink about the sensor that wasn't their fault, I can understand them trying to back away from you.

What is still wrong with the bike?

OK, you admitted that you knew you'd be paying for the front sensor so I don't understand what that whole part of your argument was even about. If anyone caused it, it was the people who changed the tire. Or maybe it popped out of a clip, or a rock knocked it out of position, but most likely it was the tire changer especially if the wire is clipped to the brake hose (don't know if this is the case).

As for the FD, is there even an issue here? Has anyone told you why your cruise and ABS are still out? Water contamination isn't necessarily a big deal; it happens and then you change the oil. The tire changer wouldn't have had any reason to touch it. Most likely this was caused by the dealership who changed the FD oil but after you (in your own words) made a stink about the sensor that wasn't their fault, I can understand them trying to back away from you.

There is a clip and a tie wrap. If the cable isn't set right before tie wrapping, it will rub. Mine did it before any tires were changed.

My argument is about BMW assuming that the failure was due to someone other than them touching the bike. And that the failure occurred 6000 miles after the tires were changed. To my mind that is a stretch. Additionally, one of the clips was broken. But more than anything the attitude. The first thing they said was it was the people that changed the tires.
The final drive issue came up as a result of the 12k service. They said the vent was missing and blamed that on the tire change as well. The weird thing here is that I have not been in rain since the last time they serviced the bike. The Salem trip was dry and the RA rally was too. The bike is garaged and when I am on the road it is covered. So, you tell me.

I told them from the start that I would buy the front sensor because I chose to "fix" it on the road. I was 400 miles from a dealer with no speedo, my call I will pay. But both sensors were out and to me that was very strange. I got the speedo back when I spliced the front one but ABS, cruise were still out. That told me the rear was out as well.

Thanks for your input.

Has the bike (ABS and cruise) been fixed yet? If so, was it just the rear sensor, and was there any kind of damage visible?

Final drive warranty

I have a friend who bought a new RGS in 08, the big bearing in the final failed at 27,000 miles, it was repaired under warranty. It failed again at 49,000 miles, BMW said no warranty this time.

He paid for the repairs and sold the bike. He now has a Yamaha TDM1200 with 36,000 trouble free miles on it. Too bad, he had been a BMW rider for 25 years and now he's gone. He will never buy another BMW motorcycle because of BMWNA's attitude.

After a couple of conversations with no sadifaction with reps at NA, he got the impression that they felt the drive units were normal wear items and had to be replaced from time to time.

He wasn't buying that, his last BMW had 110,000 miles on it with no drive train issues at all.

I have a friend who bought a new RGS in 08, the big bearing in the final failed at 27,000 miles, it was repaired under warranty. It failed again at 49,000 miles, BMW said no warranty this time.

He paid for the repairs and sold the bike. He now has a Yamaha TDM1200 with 36,000 trouble free miles on it. Too bad, he had been a BMW rider for 25 years and now he's gone. He will never buy another BMW motorcycle because of BMWNA's attitude.

After a couple of conversations with no sadifaction with reps at NA, he got the impression that they felt the drive units were normal wear items and had to be replaced from time to time.

He wasn't buying that, his last BMW had 110,000 miles on it with no drive train issues at all.

I thought that replacement parts, provided under warranty, had a 2 year additional warranty. Perhaps it was beyond the two years when the second one failed?

:dunno

It was beyond the 2 year warranty on repairs, but with only 22,000 miles on the repaired final he had lost his trust in the bike.

I don't know the man, but he had a riding buddy with a RT that had a drive unit failure as well. I don't know any of the details of that failure.

I have a 08 R12R with 40,000 miles on it and the only issue has been the fuel level sender.

I understand that this is not the time for humorous replies to feeling ticked at the dealer but as for an easy answer on water in FD with no rain:
Did the dealer wash the bike at earlier service?
Did a passing dog piss on rear tire? :dunno:dog Seriously, this is a common occurrence.

Another factor here that we cannot derive from a web conversation & it is a huge in terms of human emotional reaction potential-
We simply were not there to hear/have full understanding of just how much "tact"(or lack thereof) was used by the dealer personnel in relating their decision to not fund the warranty repair. That's a common weakness in web communications! One can be completely correct in what they say & truly tick someone off by how you say it, nothing new there!
Do the vents come off that easily on that FD? If not, somebody messed up, huh?
Sensor wire- I'd tend to blame the tire changer but who really knows...

I'm glad my first BMW, though nearly new with 1250 miles, was waaaaay out of warranty (it's a 2003). I get to do the work and not have to deal with these issues.

I worked on German prepress and press equipment for decades as a factory mechanic/tech, so know a few things of German ways, and get to dust off my fancy Hazet and Wiha tools!

This does make me wonder about the value of "new vs used". Might not be worth the hassle.

I know we love to bitch moan and complain on our side of the fence, but the grass is not always greener on the other side. The local BMW shop here is also a Kawasaki dealer. A CHP officer brought his bike (a newer Kawasaki police bike) in on a trailer because it just quit while going 80 mph. He wished he was back on a beemer. Granted that's one guy and one bike, and may not represent everyone or every bike, and I don't know the whole story.

I know we love to bitch moan and complain on our side of the fence, but the grass is not always greener on the other side. The local BMW shop here is also a Kawasaki dealer. A CHP officer brought his bike (a newer Kawasaki police bike) in on a trailer because it just quit while going 80 mph. He wished he was back on a beemer. Granted that's one guy and one bike, and may not represent everyone or every bike, and I don't know the whole story.

There is a problem with the main breaker shutting off on the C14 due to the electrical loads. The thing is, the C14P is not outfitted by Kawasaki and Kawasaki stopped authorizing the production of the C14P because of the problem. http://www.government-fleet.com/cha...s-57-more-concours-14-police-motorcycles.aspx

There is a problem with the main breaker shutting off on the C14 due to the electrical loads. The thing is, the C14P is not outfitted by Kawasaki and Kawasaki stopped authorizing the production of the C14P because of the problem. http://www.government-fleet.com/cha...s-57-more-concours-14-police-motorcycles.aspx

I'll also throw out there that it's interesting that Kawasaki stands behind their bikes even when they don't build the authority bikes and technically the problem isn't their doing. I think BMW could learn something from Kawasaki.

Not sure about the front wire...

But your story about the rear drive makes my blood boil!

If the vent is missing, my position would be it was never installed at all, or never installed correctly, in the first place...so its BMW's fault.

Certainly, the if rear tire design is the same as on my 2011 R1200GS, there is no need for the vent to be removed or disturbed during a rear tire change...so the third party rear tire changer had nothing to do with it.

In Canada, we have Government consumer protection laws to protect consumers from being victimized by shyster dealers\manufacturers. Don't know if there is any such legislation in the States.

I would be insisting that they make good the rear drive issues, at their expense, now, or else you will be taking legal action and\or contacting Government consumer protection agencies.

I know back in 1974, I received a full refund for a brand new Dodge Dart, after I had owned it for a number of months and put 10,000 miles on it, after I contacted the Government. That particular dealership is long since out of business...and no wonder given their completely inadequate performance.

Are you seriously wondering "if" there are consumer protection regs. in USA? WIKI that subject & you'll see that much of the world has them. FWIW,I will say here that I'm not stating I think the OP should sue anyone.
For many years now we have seen the many laws,TV messages,govmt agencies, pontificating by state atty generals & the list is really lone and burdensome. Now, does that equate to all is cozy & nice for consumers-no.
Lawyers feast on class action suits & small claims court offers possible avoidance of more pricey legal actions by joe public. I'll throw it back to you-Does Canada have the equivalent of the small claims process as here in USA?

While there is no need to disturb that vent while removing a rear wheel, that does not preclude it being knocked or broken while removing, for example, the brake caliper to remove the wheel.

With as little as is actually known about cause and effect in these two unrelated defects (or is it three), I can't come to any reasonable conclusions as to who did what, when, why, or how. Not without huge leaps at least.

Any one of us who has been riding or wrenching for any period of time has had "stuff" happen.

I think this is a clear case of stuff happens.

Back