• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What about the 2022 Grand Coddiwomple?

wecoyoteBPC

How about we start a thread on the 2022 BMW MOA Grand Coddiwomple? Is "MOA Getaways and Events" even the right place to post a thread on the Coddiwomple?

We are new to BMW, BMW MOA and the Grand Coddiwomple. A good friend of ours, Jennifer Ott, placed second in the 2021 Grand Coddiwomple and I just couldn't resist signing up for the 2022. Though I likely won't be a contender (Route 66 is a bit of a hike for those of us in Michigan), I figured it would be a fun adventure.

I've already done some online planning for where to find the letters for "WANDER FARTHER", some of the "Giants" and even other places that share names with places in the song.

Is there anyone else as eager as I am for the 2022 event to start? (As of this posting, only 19 more days until April 1!)

I’m all for your idea

I sent in or filled out the application on line for the 2022 G.C. about a month ago. I haven’t heard a thing yet. We are just beginning to warm up here in Wisconsin, so I hope my materials arrive soon. It’s supposed to be 55 by this Wednesday. Meanwhile, I have worked out several rides to spell out Wander Farther, so, I’m ready.

FWIW, Capt-HSV got his assigned #28 via Saturday’s postal delivery.

I signed up CDR-HSV immediately après moi; her’s has yet to arrive via Mr Postmaster General’s general Snail Mail. :gerg

All in due course one would hope.....:dunno
CIAO! HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen

:brow

“Advice from a Moose”
Think Big.
Spend time in the woods.
Eat plenty of greens.
Hold your head up high.
Stay on track.
Keep your nose clean.
It’s Okay to be a Little Wild!

As seen at the Chena Hot Springs resort, northeast of Fairbanks, AK last July.....
Those two ponds next to the Hot Springs are specifically reserved for Moose & Ducks only....

Momma-Moose.jpeg

Mine finally arrived today. Yay!
99d870a614701655c248dd56da9429e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Coddiwomple -- Still Waiting for My Packet

I'm still waiting for my packet to arrive and I registered in the morning on the first day registration (Ground Hog Day). FWIW, I'm also still waiting for my finisher's certificate and pin from the 2021 Coddiwomple. It would seem to me that the MOA administrators could put a little more priority into getting materials sent out to its members in a timely manner. Maybe hire a few more people for the mail room?? Sheesh!

I'm still waiting for my packet to arrive and I registered in the morning on the first day registration (Ground Hog Day). FWIW, I'm also still waiting for my finisher's certificate and pin from the 2021 Coddiwomple. It would seem to me that the MOA administrators could put a little more priority into getting materials sent out to its members in a timely manner. Maybe hire a few more people for the mail room?? Sheesh!

This program is run by volunteers, and there is always room for more. ;)

This program is run by volunteers, and there is always room for more. ;)

Ian is correct, however in this case the office staff - of one - handled the mailings of both last year's certificates and pins, and this year's flags & documents and both mailings were overlapped. That wasn't the plan, but all the wrap-up of 2021 was behind schedule by at least 30 days for all kinds of first-time-through reasons. On top of that, from what I know, there was a big delay in getting last year's pins made, and then a large batch of the mailings were returned by the Post Office, for some reason, and had to be remailed. I just got my 2021 certificate and pin yesterday. Hopefully, everyone will have their 2022 flag for the start on Friday. :thumb

You place far too much importance on what is intended to encourage people to ride and engage other members in friendly competition. I believe the staff at the MOA have other important tasks to address and yet give the Coddiwomple work as much attention as possible. Put this in perspective, you are not losing any money or in danger of losing life, limb or eyesight. The only thing that will be remembered about Coddiwomple are the memories you create while riding. Everything else Coddiwomple related will be little noted or long remembered.

Coddiwomple Shortcomings

In no way am I criticizing the volunteers that have worked hard to make the Coddiwomple a success, but I am tired of hearing the excuse that the shortcomings of the event were/are related to "it's run by volunteers." The greatest rallies in the motorcycle world are run by volunteers ... the IronButt Rally comes to mind. My point was (and still is) that I'd like to see our MOA give more support to this event by giving our volunteers what they need to make it even more successful. For example, how about a temp hire in the mailroom to get the materials out in a timely manner? Sure, we didn't pay an entry fee for this event, but we pay $49 a year for our membership benefits, don't we? Those benefits are supposed to include more than just a magazine. Another example, how about promoting the Coddiwomple with more support in the ON magazine? The 2021 event got only about one page of coverage in the ON magazine. The mag didn't even publish the names of all our members who successfully finished the event, yet any member who submitted the annual "mileage contest" form with just a few miles got their name (recognition) in the magazine.

My point was/is that the 2021 Coddiwomple, and now the 2022 event, could be much better with more support from the MOA administration. The rationale that "The only thing that will be remembered about Coddiwomple are the memories you create while riding. Everything else Coddiwomple related will be little noted or long remembered" implies (to me, at least) "why bother having the Coddiwomple at all?"

I tend to look at how things could be better. I'd like to see our MOA do better with the Coddiwomple.

In no way am I criticizing the volunteers that have worked hard to make the Coddiwomple a success, but I am tired of hearing the excuse that the shortcomings of the event were/are related to "it's run by volunteers." The greatest rallies in the motorcycle world are run by volunteers ... the IronButt Rally comes to mind. My point was (and still is) that I'd like to see our MOA give more support to this event by giving our volunteers what they need to make it even more successful. For example, how about a temp hire in the mailroom to get the materials out in a timely manner? Sure, we didn't pay an entry fee for this event, but we pay $49 a year for our membership benefits, don't we? Those benefits are supposed to include more than just a magazine. Another example, how about promoting the Coddiwomple with more support in the ON magazine? The 2021 event got only about one page of coverage in the ON magazine. The mag didn't even publish the names of all our members who successfully finished the event, yet any member who submitted the annual "mileage contest" form with just a few miles got their name (recognition) in the magazine.

My point was/is that the 2021 Coddiwomple, and now the 2022 event, could be much better with more support from the MOA administration. The rationale that "The only thing that will be remembered about Coddiwomple are the memories you create while riding. Everything else Coddiwomple related will be little noted or long remembered" implies (to me, at least) "why bother having the Coddiwomple at all?"

I tend to look at how things could be better. I'd like to see our MOA do better with the Coddiwomple.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Since two events are synchronizing well, I'm taking the Coddiwomple seriously this year, and incorporating it into my trip to the National Rally... Taking a 2 week vacation from work, and leaving home early the Saturday before the rally...

Day 1 (Sat): to Seligman: https://goo.gl/maps/otuerMoUdze8CWd88
Day 2 (Sun): Seligman to Albuquerque: https://goo.gl/maps/N42SzPQNiEmwZw3J8
Day 3 (Mon): Albequerque to Clinton: https://goo.gl/maps/MHJpr5R7Xq6uH5LWA
Day 4.1 - Springfield (Tue): https://goo.gl/maps/3SfD3oai7dV25iy77
Day 4.2 - Near St. Louis (Tue night - need to add any additional points): https://goo.gl/maps/GwiLLfMj5VzJXXSo8
Day 5 (Wed): St Louis to Chicago and partway back: https://goo.gl/maps/f1RqAr5UpsrqLA5v5
Day 6 (Thu) To the Rally: https://goo.gl/maps/dQLV44Gv84DctAsCA
~ 2,723 miles

I've already picked up the "end of the route" sign at Santa Monica pier, and the Wigwam hotel in S.B., so will try to pick off all of the following challenges in the trip to the rally:
* The Get Your Kicks on Route 66 Challenge
* The WANDER FARTHER Platinum Challenge
* The Historic Route 66 Challenge
* The States Along Route 66 Challenge
* The Celebrate the Mother Road! Challenge

For "Kicks" and Platinum, I'm heading home through 5 more states for a total of 13, passing through Reno, NV before re-entering CA. I still have to plan that route to find compatible cities to pass through, but have a few ides...

Wish me luck!

OK, r0ckrat! Here’s Wishing U Good Luck!

Not to burst your balloon, but there are lots of enthusiastic riders in this organization. But everyone has to play the game for the entire season (a la the NFL)! We took last year’s CW pretty seriously, and achieved 18+19th places. I would just say, Keep it at the FUN level on your Event Horizon. Do Not Get stressed over this summer riding contest. Come next March, we’ll see where we all got racked & stacked. :brow

Happy Touring in ’22; we’ll see all y'all in Springfield next month. Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

OK, r0ckrat! Here’s Wishing U Good Luck!

Not to burst your balloon, but there are lots of enthusiastic riders in this organization. But everyone has to play the game for the entire season (a la the NFL)! We took last year’s CW pretty seriously, and achieved 18+19th places. I would just say, Keep it at the FUN level on your Event Horizon. Do Not Get stressed over this summer riding contest. Come next March, we’ll see where we all got racked & stacked. :brow

Happy Touring in ’22; we’ll see all y'all in Springfield next month. Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer
LOL! Not taking TOO seriously, as I'm not retired and can't just ride around the country looking for additional tags... just trying to get as many of the points as I can on this trip.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Back