• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

my first rally

nytrashman

i have never owned a BMW before buying this one and i have never been to a rally. with that being said i have outfitted my little F650GS with everything needed to travel from my home in NY to the rally in Wyoming. i would like to ride all back roads/secondary roads but my work schedule will not allow me that much time off, so i will ride the interstates. i know this is not the best bike for that type of travel but it's all i have so i will have to make due. i will stay in motels on my way there but i will bring my camping gear and camp on site. since i have never been to a rally before how safe will my riding gear be if left in my tent unattended all day? is this something i should be worried about or is it a non issue? i am really looking forward to attending and if there is any advise you can give me to insure i have a good first rally experience by all means please tell me.

i have never owned a BMW before buying this one and i have never been to a rally. with that being said i have outfitted my little F650GS with everything needed to travel from my home in NY to the rally in Wyoming. i would like to ride all back roads/secondary roads but my work schedule will not allow me that much time off, so i will ride the interstates. i know this is not the best bike for that type of travel but it's all i have so i will have to make due. i will stay in motels on my way there but i will bring my camping gear and camp on site. since i have never been to a rally before how safe will my riding gear be if left in my tent unattended all day? is this something i should be worried about or is it a non issue? i am really looking forward to attending and if there is any advise you can give me to insure i have a good first rally experience by all means please tell me.

You will not have to worry about your gear if it is zipped up in your tent. The camping area is secure. I will be travelling from NJ and I may have to take superslab for most of the trip as well, i can not be away from my job for more than 10 days.
Ron

Ron,
i had planned on leaving July 14th and doing three 600 mile days to get there via the slab. if your interested in a riding partner let me know as i am pretty flexible on my departure date/miles per day.

George

If you are not planning on camping on your way to or from the rally, you might consider renting all of your camping gear at the rally. Check out Ted Mayberry http://www.sherpamayberry.com or Theo Umlauf http://www.sherpapacker.com. From what I gather, folks who only camp at the rally are really pleased with the service. I think that besides a tent, they also include an air mattress, pillow and coffee. It would certainly make your ride easier without the extra gear.

Safe & Sound

In the Wisconsin Club we have a saying that was coined many years ago by one of our charter members:

At a BMW Rally you can leave your key in the bike, your leathers on the handle bars, and your camera on the seat. But your beer is never safe.

:D

Really - it's very rare to hear of something being "lifted" at a rally. Does it happen? Sadly, yes. But rarely.

See you in Gillette!

I am reminded of Durango, when a guy pulled up and asked if his stuff would be safe.
I told him sure, because everybody had nicer stuff than that.:laugh
You should seen the look on his face. (I was kidding, he had nicer stuff than mine)
He parked his bike by us and we kept an eye on it for him.
You will be fine, but I wouldn't leave really valuable stuff out in plain sight. A tank bag pouch or a pocket of something in your tent is good enough. Most people are aware of who is camping by them, and the neighborhood watch is really strong at Nationals.

Last edited:
The slab

Ron,
i had planned on leaving July 14th and doing three 600 mile days to get there via the slab. if your interested in a riding partner let me know as i am pretty flexible on my departure date/miles per day.

George

NYTM, I will stay in touch. I am still setting up my dates and my route.
Ron

thanks Ron, even if we don't ride out together i would be interested in seeing your route.

and thanks to everyone else who responded so quickly.

Rapid Roy, your right why would anyone steal my crappy stuff when there will be much better stuff to take......lol. it's good to know that who ever is camping next to me will keep an eye on my old junk, just as i will keep an eye on there stuff, including but not limited to their beer.

what kind of weather should i expect in Wyoming in July? i am thinking hot during the day and cool at night. not sure if i should wear my mesh riding gear with the removable liners or my non mesh gear but leave the liners home.

what kind of weather should i expect in Wyoming in July? i am thinking hot during the day and cool at night. not sure if i should wear my mesh riding gear with the removable liners or my non mesh gear but leave the liners home.

If you leave the liners at home, it practically is guaranteed that you will wish you had them.

Don't ask me how I know. :wave

If you leave the liners at home, it practically is guaranteed that you will wish you had them.

Don't ask me how I know. :wave

i have to agree 100% with that statement. it's like leaving your rain gear home because the forecast is for sunny 75 degree weather for the next week. 3hrs into your ride and the heavens open up for 10 solid days.

i am a bit limited on room so i need to carefully plan what i can and can not take. i am sure i will bring some useless items as well as leave some essentials at home. what about bugs in Wyoming? i am planing on bringing insect repelient but not sure if it will be needed.

i would like to ride all back roads/secondary roads but my work schedule will not allow me that much time off, so i will ride the interstates.
that's a shame. i rode from vermont to wisconsin for the last rally, and on the way over i stayed off the interstates entirely. on the way back, i took some interstates. on the way over, i easily found beautiful little local restaurants, saw great scenery, lots more twisty roads, easily stopped for breaks whenever i wanted, didn't get nearly as tired or bored, because the speeds and directions were always changing. the way over felt like an adventure, the way back felt like a commute. any long trips i take again, i'm gonna make it a point to stay on the secondary roads.

OldAndBusted: i have only been approved for the weeks of July 14th and the following week, July 21st for vacation. i guess i could leave Friday the 11th and take all secondary roads to Gillette. i will have to see if i can figure out a route that will take me only on secondary roads and see how many miles it is and how long it will take. if anyone wants to assist in helping me plan a route i would appreciate it very much.

Practice

Make sure you put some time on your cycle before you go on that long trip. If your seat is uncomfortable or the arm position is bad, you might get a back ache, sore legs, etc.

You might wear a back support Waist belt. Weight lifters use them. You can find them at sporting stores, walmart, etc. Good driving gloves can help. Definitly use a full face helmet to cut down the noise. Ear plugs can help. Do you have a Wind screen?

i have put 15,000 miles on my bike since getting it last Dec. i have it setup as follows: an after market windscreen, a sheepskin butt pad, Jesse boxes, a Givi top box, and a RKA tank bag. i always ride with a full face helmet (arai or shoei) as well as ear plugs and either my Olympia airglide jacket or my Olympia voyager jacket. i have Olympia airglide pants as well as Olympia ranger 2 pants. for boots i have a pair of Daytona boots and always wear a kidney belt. i have several pairs of gloves from Helimot and Held. this may be my first BMW as well as my first rally but it is far my first bike as i have been riding since i was in my teens. i plan on switching my tires back to Metzler Tourance from my current TKC's. i also plan on replacing both sprockets as well as the chain and flush the brake fluid as well as replacing the pads. of course I will do an oil change prior to leaving as well. i have a great tool roll with all the tools i think i would need as well as spare tubes, tire irons and the knowledge and experience to change a tube on the side of the road. i believe i am more then ready for a ride of only 1800 miles each way, although i may take a longer route on my return trip.

Check out Ted Mayberry http://www.sherpamayberry.com or Theo Umlauf http://www.sherpapacker.com. From what I gather, folks who only camp at the rally are really pleased with the service. I think that besides a tent, they also include an air mattress, pillow and coffee. It would certainly make your ride easier without the extra gear.

Actually, last I knew, Theo doesn't provide a pillow. Other than that, we're pretty close.

Don't forget, we also provide sleeping bags. I believe Theo provides liners, I wash the bag between each event (no liners).

I provide the coffee, Theo does sometimes, though I think he's off looking for a high capacity pot now. I bought a 12 gallon (plus 6 gal hot water) propane unit, with the two 101 cup electric units, I hope to keep up with demand. :)

We also include towels (I do not provide wash cloths, I believe Theo does).

Also, we do more than provide the equipment, we also set it all up and tear it all down. All you have to do is find your tent and enjoy the rally.

-Ted (not Theo :) )

P.S., Theo is only joining the MOA for 2008. Between the two of us, we will provide up to 400 tents, a big plus considering some of the local hotel costs.

i have put 15,000 miles on my bike since getting it last Dec. i have it setup as follows: an after market windscreen, a sheepskin butt pad, Jesse boxes, a Givi top box, and a RKA tank bag. i always ride with a full face helmet (arai or shoei) as well as ear plugs and either my Olympia airglide jacket or my Olympia voyager jacket. i have Olympia airglide pants as well as Olympia ranger 2 pants. for boots i have a pair of Daytona boots and always wear a kidney belt. i have several pairs of gloves from Helimot and Held. this may be my first BMW as well as my first rally but it is far my first bike as i have been riding since i was in my teens. i plan on switching my tires back to Metzler Tourance from my current TKC's. i also plan on replacing both sprockets as well as the chain and flush the brake fluid as well as replacing the pads. of course I will do an oil change prior to leaving as well. i have a great tool roll with all the tools i think i would need as well as spare tubes, tire irons and the knowledge and experience to change a tube on the side of the road. i believe i am more then ready for a ride of only 1800 miles each way, although i may take a longer route on my return trip.

Sounds like you are prepared. Look forward to meeting you at the rally. My son-in-law and I are leaving from Central IL.

I think you are more than ready, it will be an excellent adventure.

If you plan on moteling it there, my experience has been to get an early start, put in your miles and get off the road early to grab a room. Traveling East to West, the time zone is in your favor for early starts anyways. Coming home sucks for the same reason (come to think of it, it sucks for other reasons).

And I will pass along the best advice that I ever read on this forum...as you head out into the middle of no where...don't ever pass up the chance to gas up. Yes, even if it's 2 gallons. You will never regret having enough fuel. :)

Sounds like you are prepared. Look forward to meeting you at the rally. My son-in-law and I are leaving from Central IL.

looking forward to meeting you as well, just look for the dirty F650GS, NY plates and which may or may not have knobbies on it.

If you plan on moteling it there, my experience has been to get an early start, put in your miles and get off the road early to grab a room.

This is extremely good advice. I like to be on the road between 5 and 6 (earlier if need be) and finish up at 2 or 3. Unpack, dip in the pool, big dinner, a few beers, walk back to the hotel and asleep by 9. YRMV, but this is a good plan.

Have fun on your bike and your trip. You'll have a blast at the rally.

The only thing I ever had stolen at a rally was my soul when Kbasa took my picture!

Given your time constraints, I understand your need to ride the slab most of the way. And besides, once you hit the Ohio border there is nothing to see till you get to the Black Hills/Badlands area of South Dakota anyway so you might as well be on the slab.

My plan-in-progress is to burn Interstate to the Badlands and then do the secondary roads through there and the Black Hills and on to Gillette.

If you are motelling it and only camping at the rally, you could ship your camping gear there ahead of time and ship it back home Sunday morning. The last few years the club has had a UPS facility on site and I would think they would do it again this year.

John

Back