• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Keyless Ride" I got me a "hard key"

I say NO to keyless gadgetry. That is like a stupid modern tech idea.

No thank you, I rather have a key.

I am finding that many cars now are going for this as well. You know how it is, its easy to impress consumers with such fool proof (I am being sarcastic) gadgetry.

I purposely ordered my new R1200 GS Adventure without that option. In fact, I'd sooner not have a chipped key. More crap to go wrong as it has in the past from what I've read.

Further rant: how lazy can we get?

In our obese society, we could use every bit of calorie burning exercise. lol

I kind of miss the keyless I had on my RT - just sewed a lanyard into my riding pants and knew that when I geared up I had the key. Helps enforce ATGATT too! Was not a fan of BMW's solution to a dead fob battery though - remove the right speaker, stick your arm through the hole and hold the key behind the gage cluster (or use the plastic key). GS has a proximity sensor under the passenger seat, maybe you can get close enough from underneath so you don't have to remove the seat (and unstrap everything you've lashed to it...). K1600 has its sensor by the fuel filler. Why not pick ONE easily accessible place that's the same for every bike?

I think the chipped key is a mature technology and am not worried about it. I understand that when BMW Motorrad first introduced them they were so troublesome that some folks carried spare ring antennas for when it crapped out but haven't heard of that for a long time, apparently they learned how to make the antennas right. Cars have had chips for a long time and they work fine.

Globalrider - IIRC the gas cap on the keyless bikes doesn't have a key slot. That actually caused me more grief than the ignition, at least until I learned to keep my fob and cellphone away from each other.

Globalrider - IIRC the gas cap on the keyless bikes doesn't have a key slot. That actually caused me more grief than the ignition, at least until I learned to keep my fob and cellphone away from each other.

I take it the keyless activates a solenoid that unlatches the gas cap. If that is the case, its just another system to go wrong which is why I passed on that option.

I thought this was a great idea the first time I had to lock the box. As i commute, i cycle all three locks 2-4 times a day. $38 for me......(crickets)......it's done and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my present RT while I was on the road. Trade my previous GT on the fly while passing through OR.

Right while I was there buying, some dude bought the last 'key' RT and I ended up with a 'keyless'. Missed by minutes. Then again, mine don't have a radio. I hate a radio on a bike. Its hard to find radio-less RT/s nowadays...in America anyways.

Fob, metal key, plastic key

Hello, folks!
I read some new(er) and some older posts and i would think i lot of miles were ridden after that. In case you need a key for your bike - a fob, metal or plastic one, please send me a text or call me at +1 412 313 4918. That goes for BMW parts, gear or equipment. Please note that i can only supply brand new parts.
Thanks!

Simeon

Hello, folks!
I read some new(er) and some older posts and i would think i lot of miles were ridden after that. In case you need a key for your bike - a fob, metal or plastic one, please send me a text or call me at +1 412 313 4918. That goes for BMW parts, gear or equipment. Please note that i can only supply brand new parts.
Thanks!

Simeon

Hi Simeon,
If parts supply is something you wish to offer the Members, we have a specific area for that- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?56-Opportunities-Members-and-Vendors
Once there, you can set up something a bit more informative such as an the area of the country you are in both as a sign of legitimacy and an idea how far away an order is coming.
It's the best place for your offers to be displayed.
If you need assistance, myself or any of the Moderators would be happy to help.
Gary

When did BMW cease giving new Motorrad buyers TWO "keyless" fobs? Seems fairly recent to me and hard to understand as they still give you two if you buy a car.

You do not want to have to replace one of these keyless wonders. In a home invasion, my spare BMW 3-series key was stolen (it was in a change "bank") so I had to not only replace it, but have the car software reprogrammed and the other key to match so the burglars could not return with the stolen key and drive the car off. $540 altogether. :banghead

At least 2016. My ‘16 GTL was only 1 fob. Ordered the spare fob and 2 chipless keys when I went for 600 mile service.

When did BMW cease giving new Motorrad buyers TWO "keyless" fobs? They still give you two if you buy a car. My '10 K1300S came with THREE, albeit not "keyless" fobs 'cuz those were not used on motorcycles back in the day...! You do not want to have to replace one of these keyless wonders. 5 yrs ago, in a home invasion, my spare BMW 3-series key was stolen (it was in a change "bank") so I had to not only replace it, but have the car software reprogrammed and the other key to match. $500 altogether. :banghead

My guess: German efficiency. Cars can have different personalities for each key - presets for radio, seat positions, outside mirrors, temperature, customized driving modes (not economy/normal/sport but the custom mode where you can set each each option individually), etc. A husband and wife can have different personalities stored in "their" keys. Not many motorcyclists share a bike with someone else, and the fob doesn't store a personality, so there's no need for a second fob.

I live alone, I got 2 fobs with my car. One I use, the other is in the basement (on the board with all my other spare keys) where the battery is slowly dying.

BMW says if a chip key is lost/stolen, they can supply a new key (for a fee, of course) and the dealer will disable the stolen one. So the thief can't ride off on your bike or unlock the steering although they can remove the panniers.

When did BMW cease giving new Motorrad buyers TWO "keyless" fobs?

I don't remember BMW providing 2 fobs with a bike.
I've heard of buyers getting dealers to provide a second fob with the bike purchase.

If you loose your fob the plastic emergency key will start the bike while you're waiting on a replacement fob.

Lee: My '10 K1300S came with 3 hard keys. My '96 K75S came with 2 "folding" hard keys. But the '17 R1200GSA, my first "keyless" bike, only came with the one fob and the plastic key with the RFID chip embedded for "emergency" and/or "I lost the fob" starting. I am still waiting on the parts dept at the dealer to get me a price for a duplicate of the keyless fob.

Lee: My '10 K1300S came with 3 hard keys. My '96 K75S came with 2 "folding" hard keys. But the '17 R1200GSA, my first "keyless" bike, only came with the one fob and the plastic key .

Yep, all of our previous BMW bikes came with a couple hard keys.
Both of our 2016 R1200RSs came with one fob and one plastic emergency key.
On the RSs I ordered a metal non chipped key for each bike.

I like using a regular metal key on the seat lock better than the key in the fob.

In 2015 the price was $142.

Today my dealership advised the price for a "keyless" fob from Motorrad is now back to $250. I cannot imagine this device costs the mothership more than $75 to manufacture. Bill Me Whatever = bend over and grab your ankles, sometimes.... The parts department "suggested" I wait until one of their "30% off anything" sales.

Spare Metal Key for $35

Like most of you, I have one transponder keyfob and one spare plastic key with a chip in it. I have been reluctant to use the plastic key because I don't want to break it. So, I have been trying to get a spare metal key.

First, I tried to buy some keyblanks from eBay and Amazon. I got the blanks for about $7 each, but I could not find a local locksmith with the correct equipment to cut them. But, I did have success ordering a spare metal key from A&S Cycles for about $35. I needed to supply my VIN, and the order took about a month. So, now I have two ways to start the bike: the transponder fob and the spare plastic chip-key. And I have a robust extra key for use with the luggage. Nice. BMW Part Number 51257688674

Cap

BMW_Key.jpg

Like most of you, I have one transponder keyfob and one spare plastic key with a chip in it. I have been reluctant to use the plastic key because I don't want to break it. So, I have been trying to get a spare metal key.

First, I tried to buy some keyblanks from eBay and Amazon. I got the blanks for about $7 each, but I could not find a local locksmith with the correct equipment to cut them. But, I did have success ordering a spare metal key from A&S Cycles for about $35. I needed to supply my VIN, and the order took about a month. So, now I have two ways to start the bike: the transponder fob and the spare plastic chip-key. And I have a robust extra key for use with the luggage. Nice. BMW Part Number 51257688674

Cap

View attachment 71270

Interesting that they were able to "encode" the key long distance.
OM

I did the same with my 2016. It’s not encoded (wont start the bike) just open things with a key slot. Luggage removal mainly. I don’t trust the keyfob floppy key to stay intact with any thing other than occasional usage.

I did the same with my 2016. It’s not encoded (wont start the bike) just open things with a key slot. Luggage removal mainly. I don’t trust the keyfob floppy key to stay intact with any thing other than occasional usage.

This is what I was confused about with that 'metal key search'. I thought there is something inside that plastic key (a chip?) that is an electronic gizmo that allows you to start the bike.

I don't much see the point of all the effort it takes to get an extra key that don't start the engine. If you loose your key and you have that wacky metal spare, you might be able to rescue your cigarettes from the saddle bag; but then, you are still stuck on the road, aintcha?

Back