• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1972 BMW R75/5 - Rear Drive Shaft Boot Shavings?

b25bsaboy

Good morning to you all,

Yesterday I cleaned up the rear swing arm area and removed the transmission drive shaft transition boot, turned it inside out and discovered the following fillings. Where would have this come from?

Attachments

• IMG_1304 (1512 x 2016).jpg
    IMG_1304 (1512 x 2016).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 174
Could they be broken washers? From the factory they would have used long bolts with washers. They could break and the bolts would loosen creating havoc. Replacement bolts are shorter with no washer.

Those are aluminum threads from one or more shaft housing fill/drain plug holes in the final drive...

If they ARE aluminum (looks like it), that's about the only thing I can think of too.

Keensert time...

Definitely threads; but from where and how did they end up where they did...…….Is it making any shouldn't be making noises....Grinding???

The rotation of the driveshaft pulls gear oil forward towards the gearbox.
- what PAS said. I would add that the oil moving towards the gear box washes through the bearings in the "U-joint" from centrifugal force carrying any odd debris with it of course - which is how the bits wound up in the boot.

Check the fill drain plugs on the final drive. Specifically, the threaded holes one near the stamped numbers representing the gear ratio - and the one below it. You will either see threads or no threads. Possibly, a thread insert repair. Those are the fill and drain holes for the steel drive shaft housing. The actual final drive drain is on the housing bottom at 6:00 and the fill hole is at the rear of the housing at about 9:00. If you find nice clean original threads I'd bet the bits are from an earlier final drive unit. The plugs only need a few ft lbs of torque on new washers to stay put.

Good morning to you all,

Yesterday I cleaned up the rear swing arm area and removed the transmission drive shaft transition boot, turned it inside out and discovered the following fillings. Where would have this come from?

Thank you to all that responded to my question.

Found the culbert, as it appears when I drained all the oils, I didn’t pull or back out the top filler plug and it appears the PO was a little bit heavy fisted.

Guess its HeliCoi or Time Sert time again:banghead

Attachments

• 0E5A5419-2ABC-4D1F-800E-75162AEE800E.jpg
    0E5A5419-2ABC-4D1F-800E-75162AEE800E.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 38
Back