• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Filler Cap Problem

bobr9

I have a 99 R1100RT with an aftermarket oil filer cap installed by PO. The cap is the metal type requiring an allen wrench for installation/removal. My problem is that when I put it back on the other day after topping off the oil, I tightened it to the point where the whole assembly now just turns (by whole assembly I mean both the cap and the insert liner that it screws into).
So I am looking for suggestions on how best to get it out. I am thinking it may be best to just pry it up with a screwdriver, but wanted to see if there was a better or less destructive approach. Thanks..

I have a 99 R1100RT with an aftermarket oil filer cap installed by PO. The cap is the metal type requiring an allen wrench for installation/removal. My problem is that when I put it back on the other day after topping off the oil, I tightened it to the point where the whole assembly now just turns (by whole assembly I mean both the cap and the insert liner that it screws into).
So I am looking for suggestions on how best to get it out. I am thinking it may be best to just pry it up with a screwdriver, but wanted to see if there was a better or less destructive approach. Thanks..

I think there is a better way. What has happened is that the little set screw(s) that hold the outer part are now slipping. On most designs the outer part is hard to see, let alone hold from the outside.

I think you will have better luck from the inside. Take the valve cover off and see if a screwdriver tip can't jam a bit and hold the ring while you remove the cap.

the set screw on that filler housing is accessed from the inside of the valve cover. doubt you'll need anything more special than the corect size allen key. it is smalll, and metric.

Well....I just found out that the cap I have is a Moto-techniques design, and apparently (according to others) the set screws can not be accessed from inside the valve cover. Apparently they are designed such that if they come loose they will not fall into the engine.

Does not look like there is any room to grab the ring from the outside with channel locks, so whatever I do will have to be done from the outside. Wondering if anyone had a similar experience with this particular cap? Thanks...

have you actually looked inside the valve cover?

i knew from your description that you had the Moto-Technique's cap (as i suspect PG did as well), and what i gave you for directions is exactly what you should be doing. i've had mine for about 8 years now. and have had to remove, re-install & tighten that inner ring several times. you can ONLY access it from the inside.
ignore the naysayer(s), and just try our recommendations. use some blue loctite on the set screw if you are really worried about it backing out. fwiw-i have not bothered with it.

Out of curiosity, did those who said "can't do it" expalin exactly how that part is held in the valve cover if not from the inside? :ear

No they did not, only that it is designed to prevent the screw from falling in the engine if it were to back out. Since I did not install it, and really have not paid much attention to it when I took the valve cover off to adjust valves, I am somewhat clueless on how it is put together. I will proceed with your advice though. Thanks again for your input.....

actually, there is nothing that keeps the set screw from backing all the way out except proper torqueing. if it were to start backing out, you'd see a rapidly worsening oil leak around the outer edge of the insert ring.

Moto-techniques just sent me the installation instructions and it looks like from this with the cap installed it blocks the set screws. I'll just have to take the valve cover off and see what I have. Not sure I like this design.

REMOVE VALVE COVER

PRESS OUT STOCK PLASTIC INSERT FROM THE INSIDE, OR CAREFULLY PRY
IT OUT FROM THE TOP SIDE

START THE SET SCREWS IN THE INSIDE (THREADED) PART OF THE NEW
INSERT. THIS WILL MAKE IT EASIER TO TIGHTEN THESE LATER. WE
RECOMMEND THE USE OF LOW OR MEDIUM STRENGTH (BLUE) LOCTITE,
EITHER NO. 222 OR 243 ON THE SETSCREWS. EVEN WITHOUT LOCTITE, WHEN
PROPERLY INSTALLED, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE SET SCREWS TO FALL
INTO THE ENGINE AS THEY ARE "TRAPPED" BY THE THREADED PLUG WHEN
SEATED. HOWEVER, IF THE SETSCREWS ARE NOT SUFFICIENTLY TIGHTENED
AND/OR LOCTITEÔÇÖD, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THEM TO LOOSEN ENOUGH TO
ALLOW THE INSERT TO ROTATE IN THE VALVE COVER.

LUBE THE INSTALLED VITON O-RING ON THE NEW INSERT WITH ENGINE OIL
OR GREASE.

PLACE THE INSERT LOOSELY IN THE TOP OF THE VALVE COVER AND ALIGN
THE SET SCREWS TO BE PARALLEL WITH THE CENTERLINE OF THE BIKE.
USING PRESSURE FROM TWO THUMBS, FIRMLY PRESS THE INSERT ALL THE
WAY DOWN UNTIL THE O-RING FULLY SEATS IN ITS GROOVE IN THE VALVE
COVER. IF YOU CANNOT GET THE O-RING FAR ENOUGH DOWN TO SEAT,
PLACE THE VALVE COVER ON A BENCH, PLACE A SMALL BLOCK OF WOOD
SQUARELY OVER THE INSERT AND CAREFULLY TAP INTO PLACE WITH A
HAMMER. THE INSERT IS FULLY SEATED WHEN THE TOP OF THE INSERT IS
FLUSH WITH THE TOP SURFACE OF THE VALVE COVER.

FROM THE BACKSIDE OF THE VALVE COVER, FIRMLY TIGHTEN THE
SETSCREWS WITH THE ALLEN WRENCH. INSTALL THE FILLER PLUG AND
TIGHTEN SECURELY WITH PROVIDED "MINI-WRENCH". THIS TEST ENSURES
THE SETSCREWS ARE TIGHT ENOUGH TO PREVENT THE INSERT FROM
TURNING. IF IT DOES SLIP, CAREFULLY TIGHTEN THE SETSCREWS A LITTLE
MORE. RE-TEST.

REINSTALL THE VALVE COVER. BE SURE TO NOT DISTURB THE RUBBERSEALING
GASKET BETWEEN THE VALVE COVER AND THE HEAD.

Back