• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT or GS best for a rig?

vetsurginc

Terrible question I know, but should generate discussion. I've had a /2 rig, and currently a Ural, with a 2010 RT for a solo. I really enjoy riding a rig, and as I age, I'm thinking time to shift from 2 to three wheels. The Ural has been fun, but the limitations on road speed make Interstate travel not a good idea. RT is a great ride with easy long distance ability. GS is neat too in a more minimalist (less plastic) approach (and adventure - tone 'o fuel). I think the GS looks great with a rig, but you don't see many RT's (although pics on Claude's site and DMC show it is done). The car is going to be carrying my dog and luggage for the time being.

I'm wondering what the collective's sense is on the batter bike for a rig - thinking ease of service versus riding comfort.

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts. Please feel free to post pics for illustrations. :bow

doug

PS - anybody hack a 2015 Wasserboxer yet
:jawdrop

Terrible question I know, but should generate discussion. I've had a /2 rig, and currently a Ural, with a 2010 RT for a solo. I really enjoy riding a rig, and as I age, I'm thinking time to shift from 2 to three wheels. The Ural has been fun, but the limitations on road speed make Interstate travel not a good idea. RT is a great ride with easy long distance ability. GS is neat too in a more minimalist (less plastic) approach (and adventure - tone 'o fuel). I think the GS looks great with a rig, but you don't see many RT's (although pics on Claude's site and DMC show it is done). The car is going to be carrying my dog and luggage for the time being.

I'm wondering what the collective's sense is on the batter bike for a rig - thinking ease of service versus riding comfort.

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts. Please feel free to post pics for illustrations. :bow

doug

PS - anybody hack a 2015 Wasserboxer yet
:jawdrop

Look carefully at gearing: transmission ratios and final drive ratio. Without doing the research, I strongly suspect the GS gearing will be superior for a hack.

Another advantage of a GS tug is the wide handlebars give you a bit of leverage. I've only tried one RT rig. It had no steering mods and I personally found the effort it took to turn quite a handful.

Give Claude Stanley of Freedom Sidecars a call. The depth of his sidecar knowledge is incredibly and he'll give you some sound input whether you buy from him or not. He rebuilt the subframe on my Hannigan/GSA rig and the difference in handling was night and day.

I have traded emails with Claude. He definitely recommends the steering modes which is straightforward with the telelever. I'm getting stuck between adding a car to my RT (Hannigan Supersport), or going with the more open GS and a Ural style car. Both bikes have the power to do the job. And either could get a car tire mod for the rear wheel at least to ease pusher wear (which I am familiar with courtesy of the Ural:lol).

Good thoughts. Thank you.

Howdy vetsurginc

For your consideration

I went with a '14 WCGS and a adventure rig for a number of reason over a '14 WCRT combination. I actually owned a new '14 RT and had planned on hacking it. After exploring the limited RT attachment options available last year I decided to go the GS/DMC Adventure route. I'm pleased with the way the project came together and I'm really enjoying the resulting rig. I had a number of goals in mind and a GS rig covered more of my needs than a RT rig. What cinched it in my mind was the BMW Spring recall, subsequent three down months, BMW cash/trade in offer and a newly available GS in silver/white.

If you squint just right, in my eye the GS/DMC ADV rig traces lines back to BMW pre-war rigs which I find pleasing. A uralista probably sees it more as a Russian thing...lol.

Howdy vetsurginc

For your consideration

I went with a '14 WCGS and a adventure rig for a number of reason over a '14 WCRT combination. I actually owned a new '14 RT and had planned on hacking it. After exploring the limited RT attachment options available last year I decided to go the GS/DMC Adventure route. I'm pleased with the way the project came together and I'm really enjoying the resulting rig. I had a number of goals in mind and a GS rig covered more of my needs than a RT rig. What cinched it in my mind was the BMW Spring recall, subsequent three down months, BMW cash/trade in offer and a newly available GS in silver/white.

If you squint just right, in my eye the GS/DMC ADV rig traces lines back to BMW pre-war rigs which I find pleasing. A uralista probably sees it more as a Russian thing...lol.

I like the look of the GS/DMC rigs as well. Saw the white/blue/red setup at the RA rally at Barber. If he would have traded, I'd be riding it right now. I also have to be sure my passenger will like it. At 14 lbs he's not a lot of ballast, but he likes his ride :thumb

IMG_0486.jpg

If you're really serious look for a used K(flying brick) EML or EZS side car conversion . They are hands down the best . I've owned an RT/EML and a K EML. While the R was fun the K had more power , liquid cooling and the exhaust on the left . They also use auto tires and a leading link front end .

Not knowing exactly what you're looking for it's hard to share a recommendation. I have an outfit as described above ('85 K100RS w/EML Sport). It fits my needs very well which include traveling lots of highway miles at speed. Not just keeping up with traffic but passing It very easily. My hack has about 80K on it with only the first 600 miles as a solo bike for a break in. I've done some dirt roads with it which it handles fine. I just hate to beat it up. I have a dirt hack for that.

The K has the smoothness and dependability of a car engine and tons of power. My spouse absolutely loves riding in it following thousands of miles traveling two up with me. Much easier on hips and knees for the passenger.

Different amounts of wind exposure depending on the outfit. Mine doesn't have a roof but a pretty good wrap around windshield. If you like the wind you'll get plenty, but you'll get a lot more on a Ural or DMC.

As has been said on this forum before, you'll spend a lot less money, aggravation and time if you find the hack you're looking for, properly assembled, versus building it, even if you already own the bike. Following the assembly there are bunches of mods you'll want to do to the bike to dial it in. Consider just adding car wheels and tires for example. If they'll work on your hack, they'll cost a minimum $4,000.

Anyway best of luck on the path you choose. There are some really smart folks on the forum with lot's of experiments to share.

Ride easy, gp

As has been said on this forum before, you'll spend a lot less money, aggravation and time if you find the hack you're looking for, properly assembled, versus building it, even if you already own the bike. Following the assembly there are bunches of mods you'll want to do to the bike to dial it in. Consider just adding car wheels and tires for example. If they'll work on your hack, they'll cost a minimum $4,000.

Anyway best of luck on the path you choose. There are some really smart folks on the forum with lot's of experiments to share.

Ride easy, gp

Appreciate the thoughts. I'm watching for already hacked rigs, but they seem a rarity. Driving around in FL the protection of the RT (especially with an aeroflow) is almost too much. But on long trips I learned early that a good fairing and windshield make a tremendous difference in reducing fatigue during a long day.

PS - 6322 are you any relation to 6 (on House TV show ;-)

I'd lean toward the GS/A line. As you know, hanging a hack off of the bike will mean fewer mpg. Having ridden a Ural since '04, I'd also prefer the GS/A line for the wider handlebars for leverage and the higher ground clearance.

I've thought about hacking my '09 GSA, but will just stick with my Ural Tourist and realize when I take it, I'm just going to be going slower and taking backroads.

At the BMW Rally in Billings there were several GS/A hacks. DMC was selling one of theirs for $48,000, which I'll admit I found laughable. For that kind of money, I'd just buy a new Ural and have $30,000 in traveling money. :laugh

The other hack outfit I've seen at the Sipapu (sp) rally in NM was a R1200C with a Steib. Those are gorgeous outfits.

Back