• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

slow starter

G

ghostridery2k

i just finish instaling used engine in my 87 k75,it started slowly yesterday,after 15 min of runing i shut it off for a moment and when i try to restart it starter just slowly crank the engine,restart fail.for some strange reason starter will continue cranking even key was off and boiled the battery.i try with new battery today and still slow crank.starter gone bad?jump power to the starter bypassing relay still slow crank.

i just finish instaling used engine in my 87 k75,it started slowly yesterday,after 15 min of runing i shut it off for a moment and when i try to restart it starter just slowly crank the engine,restart fail.for some strange reason starter will continue cranking even key was off and boiled the battery.i try with new battery today and still slow crank.starter gone bad?jump power to the starter bypassing relay still slow crank.
Sounds like the starter relay contacts have welded themselves together. This will require disassembly and repair or replacement of the relay. A low battery will do this especially when the engine is slow to start.

Lift the rear of the fuel tank and remove the cover to the electrics box.

Rap smartly on the relay located in the rear left corner of the box - the one with two heavy wires bolted to lugs on the edge of the relay.

Install a fully charged battery - or a new one as needed - and get on with life with the bike.

Lift the rear of the fuel tank and remove the cover to the electrics box.

Rap smartly on the relay located in the rear left corner of the box - the one with two heavy wires bolted to lugs on the edge of the relay.

Install a fully charged battery - or a new one as needed - and get on with life with the bike.

How about desassembling the relay and cleaning the (presumably) pitted and carboned-up contacts. Can this be done?

If you have to buy a new relay http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays.asp

Roughly 1/2 price. 75amp.

Ralph Sims

Jusst to be sure, is it THIS ONE?

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/relays_0332002150.asp

How about desassembling the relay and cleaning the (presumably) pitted and carboned-up contacts. Can this be done?

Yes it can be done. Prying will break the seal or plastic - and you can access the contacts. I'm not sure it is necessary. Often one tiny spot sticks, and when freed serves trouble free for many miles/years.

I think every classic K bike owner is required to learn once: cranking with a low battery will stick the relay. After that we get more careful about this and don't do it again.

Every spring (after winter storage) I get at least a dozen calls or emails asking about this problem.

i just install brand new battery and bike start right up no problems,i guess my other battery was week.thanx for help evryone, ........y2k

Back