• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2017 R1200RT Failed me tonight

bobw

I went for a short ride and only 10 miles from home and my bike just quit running. What I got was the yellow engine icon. My 2017 RT only has 34840 miles on it so still a little warranty left. I pushed the bike into a drive way and Monday I will call my dealer in Austin, TX 100 miles from me to pick it up. I'm just glad I was not several hundred miles from home.
Bob in Waco, TX

What was the problem? Out of gas? Was there power? Can you hear/feel the fuel pump running?
OM

I had plenty of gas and I don't think I've ever heard the fuel pump. As a matter of fact I had just topped the tank off. The starter would turn the engine over.

What I got was the yellow engine icon.

Like Paul mentioned I would try a bottle of heet.
My manual shows the yellow triangle along with the engine light means the engine is in Emergency Operation Mode.
Flashing yellow triangle with the engine light means Severe Fault in Engine Management System.

Its possible I could have gotten water in the fuel but it was at Sams Club and a lot of people were fueling. The icon I got was in the shape of an engine and it was yellow

Its possible I could have gotten water in the fuel but it was at Sams Club and a lot of people were fueling. The icon I got was in the shape of an engine and it was yellow

Try the IsoHeet. It is a $3 investment. If you do have water in the fuel your warranty won't fix it.

So I just pour the can in and wait how long?

Pour in the bottle of fuel. Wait a few minutes. Stab the starter button a few times to energize the fuel pump and circulate the fuel mix. Then attempt to start the bike. It may take a few tries of 10 seconds of cranking to get the mix to the injectors. Several short periods of cranking usually will allow a start, followed by a few seconds of rough running, then normal running.

I tried the heet but didn't seem to work of the battery run out of juice first. Looks like a real pain in the ass to drain the tank as you have to remove it and take all the panels off

If it’s where you regularly fuel up, your probably fine. Try to get a full charge into the battery and give it a try. With these new bikes it’s real possible to be able to crank the engine and have the starter pull the battery below 9.2 volts in which the computer just stops.
If you are good with a volt meter, all the better.
OM

This reminds me of a friend who filled his tank with diesel. It wouldn't run after a few kilometers.

The dealer called and told me I had a broken wire in the bike and that it was caused when I dropped my bike a couple hundred miles ago on a low water crossing.

The dealer called and told me I had a broken wire in the bike and that it was caused when I dropped my bike a couple hundred miles ago on a low water crossing.

Thanks for following up :thumb
Sounds like you are good to go.
OM

Broken wire

Appreciate the update - can you get any more info/picture of the broken wire? Curious where this wire might be that could be damaged in a fall.

thanks

When I dropped the bike the highway peg pushed into the ignition coil cover and caused bad connection and it quit on me 24 hours later 250 when I was riding around home just after I filled up with gas. I never use the Ilium $300 highway pegs so will be taking them off. I'm real happy with my Ilium engine and bag guards. And for those that noticed I carry a gallon of water on my passenger peg.

Thanks for the picture.
It will be helpful to others with the same setup.

Back