• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle Phone charger?????

czrider

Hello. Does anyone know of a motorcycle phone charger that I can plug into my 2003 R1150rt (so I can charge it as I ride)? The car ones are too big. I'd like one that plugs into the port that I trickle charge my battery on my bike. I've looked and looked online to no end:banghead:scratch

I have an iPhone 8Plus.

Thank you:love

Charge

I use 10,000 backup battery thing image.jpg

Would get the battery tender thing also
Extra battery thing about the same size as my iPhone 7 a bit thicker, got a two pack from sams for less than $30

On my '04 R1150RT with my iPhone 6, I plug this into the one of the auxiliary ports and use the USB charger that came with my phone. Works great.

I imagine (but don't know) that you have a typical BMW DIN accessory port somewhere near the front of the bike. I had a similar port on my former 2008 RT and one on my present 2015. I have used a device which puts out hefty volts and amps (enough for an iPhone 8) via two ports. Here is a photo of the Optimate unit:

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 4.16.21 PM.jpg

I run an iPhone 6S Plus fed from the accessory port (using an ANKER cable) using this device. I gave one to a pal of mine who uses it on a K1600B. No complaints from him...

I replaced the OEM power outlet with a typical North American one and inserted a dual charging USB plug.

Motorcycle phone charger

Ah for the good old days when a "motorcycle phone charger" was nothing more complicated than a pocket full of dimes. Now my wife can get me anywhere and make me come back home and finish mowing the lawn on such a nice riding day.....and I can't even say the battery died. :banghead This is progress?????

Friedle

Ah for the good old days when a "motorcycle phone charger" was nothing more complicated than a pocket full of dimes. Now my wife can get me anywhere and make me come back home and finish mowing the lawn on such a nice riding day.....and I can't even say the battery died. :banghead This is progress?????

Friedle

You need to ride further, until there is no signal.

I have Powerlet chargers for my phones.
They sell direct or on Amazon.

Got the Powerlet two years ago: $40. OK for six months of use, intermittent after that, failed after one year of use. Optimate good after three months use so far...

IMG_4739.jpg

I wired a standard cigarette light style outlet directly to the battery. Then I got a USB-cigarette lighter connector. With the cigarette lighter outlet, I can charge my phone, run a small air pump.

+ 1 on the Techmate. But if it wont fit in the charger, I also use an Anker portable charger. I streamed music and a baseball playoff game on a Saddle Sore 1k last October and still had power to spare.

anker Capture.jpg

Friedle

Disable the lawn mower before you leave, claiming you'll be searching for the parts needed.

Should work at least once! :dance

As for charging, I use the 'Golden Arches at lunch' technique.

Of course, in the trunk and shut off (no need to drain the battery 'searching for signals'), it's a problem I don't have.

Back