• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 RT intermittent death

kkahn

Hey all. Got my first 2000 R-RT "new to me" with 54k 6 months ago. Ran great until a few weeks ago when 30 miles into a trip she shut down and turned over but wouldn't restart. Had her towed home and she restarted instantly. Suspecting the HES I yanked it and sent it to the GS guru in Canada who rebuilt it and sent it back. Put it back in the bike and she started, ran for a minute then died. Hung up my tools for the night, came back the next morning and she started right up and ran for ten minutes until I turned her off. Put the tupperware back on the next day and wouldn't start. Came back the next morning and started right up. Took a 10 minute ride with no problems.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting. I read that I should check the coils, but I'm new to wrenching on the boxers and am not quite sure what that means.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all. Got my first 2000 R-RT "new to me" with 54k 6 months ago. Ran great until a few weeks ago when 30 miles into a trip she shut down and turned over but wouldn't restart. Had her towed home and she restarted instantly. Suspecting the HES I yanked it and sent it to the GS guru in Canada who rebuilt it and sent it back. Put it back in the bike and she started, ran for a minute then died. Hung up my tools for the night, came back the next morning and she started right up and ran for ten minutes until I turned her off. Put the tupperware back on the next day and wouldn't start. Came back the next morning and started right up. Took a 10 minute ride with no problems.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting. I read that I should check the coils, but I'm new to wrenching on the boxers and am not quite sure what that means.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

With that year, I'll assume you have an R1100RT, but please advise if that isn't true.

The single spark 1100 and early 1150 Oilheads, have a single, central, coil. It is located just behind the steering yoke, just under the front of the gas tank. I have personally replaced the coil on my RT, and the coil on the 1100RT of two of my friends. In each case, the symptom was engine would suddenly die, then restart. As time went on, you had to wait for longer time periods before the bike would restart. The coil overheats internally and stops producing spark. A new coil isn't terribly expensive, and if you can find a low mileage, good condition, used one, you might do okay.

The good news is that the HES wiring upgrade you had done is a known problem with all of the early Oilheads. If you don't fix it, you will eventually get stranded. Fixed properly, you should never worry about it again.

Thanks Michael. Yes it is an R1100RT. I figured getting the HES rewired was worth it for preventative maintenance if nothing else. Quick question on the coil. If it's an overheating issue, would that be the culprit if the bike wouldn't start with a cold engine after sitting overnight?

The Oilhead RT does a great job of giving you hints. Every time you get ready to start the bike, watch the RID, and listen carefully at the tank for the sound of the fuel pump engaging for about a second. When you turn the ignition on, and lift the side stand, the RID should activate- the gear indicator and fuel gauge will display. The oil temperature will too, but not if the motor is cold. The display and the fuel pump will activate at the same time. The critical thing is that you hear the fuel pump cycle. Very slight possibility that the fuel pump relay is not always making contact. I’d put it in the remote category, but possible. Intermittent problems are always tough to diagnose. Paul’s suggestion to check for spark is also excellent.

Thanks. Checked the plugs and they seemed ok. Took it out for a 20 minute ride with no problems. Guess I'll just keep doing that until it dies again.

I recommend not idling the bike for more than a few mins as well. Its not good for them.

Any update on this issue? I just had my bike turn off, crank right back up, and then turn off about 30 seconds later. I've replaced the HES so wondering if this might be the issue. Will be taking it out this weekend to see if it repeats. I've got a 2000 R1100RS.

I'm picking up a good condition 94 r 1100 rs, so religiously watching any 1100 series issues. My new to me bike has 56000 miles on the clock and a one owner bike. So this information about the coil is much appreciated. I'm wondering if as a preventative measure I should just go ahead and replace the coil and send the HES sensor off for rework. I'm a big proponent for preventative maintenance so kind of plan on tackling this topics in my tinker time. Could I possible get the contact info for the Canadian gentleman who rework the sensor?. Thanks.

I'm picking up a good condition 94 r 1100 rs, so religiously watching any 1100 series issues. My new to me bike has 56000 miles on the clock and a one owner bike. So this information about the coil is much appreciated. I'm wondering if as a preventative measure I should just go ahead and replace the coil and send the HES sensor off for rework. I'm a big proponent for preventative maintenance so kind of plan on tackling this topics in my tinker time. Could I possible get the contact info for the Canadian gentleman who rework the sensor?. Thanks.

If the HES has not been rewired then absolutely get that done. As for coils, while a failure can happen coil failure is not a known common weak point on Oilhead bikes.

The stick coils on late model 1150’s and 1200’s dual plug engines are the wonky ones . The 1100 is good to go!

And GSAddict is your :ca bud!

The stick coils on late model 1150’s and 1200’s dual plug engines are the wonky ones . The 1100 is good to go!

And GSAddict is your :ca bud!

Indeed, in my post above I should have been clear about the 1100 and 1150 single plug bikes versus those with the dual plugs and stick coils. "Progress" is not always what is is cracked up to be.

Another possible cause, is the ignition wiring, that exits from the key ignition, and is wrapped around the head stock frame work. Mine developed a small break in one wire, but due the fact that it had been zip tied to the frame, it would separate, and reconnect intermittently. I replaced that portion of the wiring harness. Mine had this problem at about 65000 miles.

A few years ago I had a similar problem and the wiring/switch at the side stand switch that was the culprit.

Back