• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Key Fob power status

robocop

I have a 2016 RS with the keyless fob feature. My question is simple: Is the key fob powered by a battery? If so, where is it buried in the fob. Question two: If the battery goes south in the fob then your up a creek unless you brought your emergency plastic key along. Correct?

Been with the bike 2 years, still learning GPS, ESA and Engine riding modes. Sometimes I pull out my 1965 Honda Super Hawk out from the garage and go for a short ride just so not to forget how it used to be........

I have a 2016 RS with the keyless fob feature. My question is simple: Is the key fob powered by a battery? If so, where is it buried in the fob. Question two: If the battery goes south in the fob then your up a creek unless you brought your emergency plastic key along. Correct?

Been with the bike 2 years, still learning GPS, ESA and Engine riding modes. Sometimes I pull out my 1965 Honda Super Hawk out from the garage and go for a short ride just so not to forget how it used to be........

You can start the bike with a weak or dead fob battery. Page 51 in your owners manual shows where to place the fob when you have a bad battery.
Page 52 in your manual shows how to change the battery in your fob.
I plan to change this battery every year and I carry a spare battery on the bike.
These are cheap CR2032 batteries you can find about anywhere.

There's a warning light on your dash that will signal that's the battery needs replacing. I replaced my key fob battery on the road, easy to do.

This video shows how to change the fob battery.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TIbdzC5rqGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The guy making the video must have exceptionally strong thumbs. Getting my battery cover off is quite the chore. :banghead

The guy making the video must have exceptionally strong thumbs. Getting my battery cover off is quite the chore. :banghead

The first couple times I tried to remove the cover I gave up, figuring I was prying in the wrong spot.
After seeing the video I saw I was doing it right but needed more force.
I used my thumb like the guy in the video.

Last edited:
This video shows how to change the fob battery.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TIbdzC5rqGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice, thank you for posting this video.

My 15RT, starting getting the low bat signal after about 18 months
Easy Peasy to change, carry a couple spares now, just in case

I found that keeping the fob in the same pocket as my smartphone kept the fob from working reliably. Even replacing the battery didn't help, I needed to separate them - different pockets was enough. I was really irritated for 6 months before I figured this out. Same with hotel keycards - keep them in a different pocket from your phone

Back