• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Photo Assignment: Weekend of 9/8/07

kbasa

OK, folks. There was some discussion of photography in another thread and I thought it might be fun to start a sort of clinic, where interested folks could submit their photos for critique by a couple folks who seem to know a thing or two about photography.

These aren't meant to be public lashings, humiliation or anything of the like, but rather, an opportunity for all of us to improve our photographic skills. I don't know about you folks, but I've learned a ton about photography by having someone that actually knows what good composition and exposure are provide me with comments on my shots.

SNC1923 (Tom) and Knary (Scott) will offer commentary on photos submitted.

All right. Here are the rules:

Photos have to be shot this weekend.
You must provide the EXIF information if asked (we'll help you, if you'd like to know how to get it)
No photoshop alteration (we're looking to improve your skills with your camera, not software)
Your photograph must adhere to the theme, which will be described below.
Post your photos in this thread only. DO NOT start a thread in reply to this assignment.
Post only one photo per post, so that commentary can be easily provided for that photo.
And, the most important rule - Have Fun! We're looking to spread the joy that many of us derive from taking pictures, particularly ones that tell a story of some kind.

We'll try running this for a few weeks and see what happens. I think we have a number of folks on board the really know how to take pictures, but we also have a significant number of people that really want to learn how to do so.

This week's theme is "A long way to go". You can interpret this however you'd like. Pictures of roads, pictures of little kids learning something, you make the call. It's just like those writing assignments they gave you in high school where you had to write about "pride" or something.

Have at it and we'll look forward to seeing some of your work on Monday!

Man, I hate homework assignments over the weekend. My son was just complaining that in high school they assign lots of homework on the weekend.

Can I wait until late Sunday night to do this? :D

Why this weekend ?
I went somewhere last weekend and I took pictures.

Because there's a totally different dynamic between "post a picture you took sometime during your life" and "post a picture you shot this weekend."

One's not better than the other, but shooting one specifically for this assignment engenders a good-natured sense of competition--though this is really more about feedback and learning than winning or losing.

If this proves to be popular, we'll do different challenges with different guidelines and can open one up for a previously taken photo perhaps.

Man, I hate homework assignments over the weekend. My son was just complaining that in high school they assign lots of homework on the weekend.

Can I wait until late Sunday night to do this? :D

Pictures can be posted anytime beginning now; the only caveat is that the photo is shot this weekend.

Hopefully folks can get around to posting them on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

Great idea Dave.
Not to hijack, but... I think it would be helpful to explain and have students practice one of the characteristics that make a great photo. A good one to start off with is composition. A theme could be restrictive in teaching the basics. One of the first things that one should learn is the Golden Mean and the rule of thirds.

Burnszilla,
Associate of the Ontario College of Art & Design

Great idea Dave.
Not to hijack, but... I think it would be helpful to explain and have students practice one of the characteristics that make a great photo. A good one to start off with is composition. A theme could be restrictive in teaching the basics. One of the first things that one should learn is the Golden Mean and the rule of thirds.

Burnszilla,

Yes, yes! Great overview of the basics of composition.

IN the spirit of the moment....

If I have this right.....here is my plan...FYI....my photographic style is what I refer to as "random" .....so,

here is my weekend assignment.....

I know a place in the local mountains.....where MC events ( the bad kind) happen with some frequency......

so, if I go there with my digital camera....and start taking OH, maybe 1000 images...

just maybe, I will get one suitable to post here for JUDGEMENT....I mean instruction....

Do I have the assignment right??

Why this weekend ?
I went somewhere last weekend and I took pictures.

We'd like you to consider the theme mentioned above and compose a picture that reflects that theme.

These assignments will help you develop your sense of composition. It's also fun to see what other folks have done with the same assignment.

A bit of background - I learned to take pictures in a camera club back in Lynn, Massachusetts; the Greater Lynn Camera Club. One Monday night a month, we submitted slides, which were critiqued by the more senior members of the club. Invariably, we had an assignment each month. Take pictures of glass. Reflections. Motion. Depth of field. A particular theme, like we've done here. In addition to hearing about our own photos, we got to hear comments about other photos, which greatly added to our learning experience.

We shot with slides, which added expense. Here, we're using digital, so everybody should be able to shoot pictures and post them for just about zip.

So, consider what this month's theme means to you and take some shots. You may not have to leave your house. You might want to go for a ride. You might want to go for a walk. But this should, above all, fun. It will be an exercise that makes you think about your camera, the composition of your photos and what you're really taking a picture of.

Enjoy and we'll see what folks come up with.

As an example, I'm headed to Nashville on business. In light of this week's topic, I might have an opportunity at the airport. :D

Next week, we'll try something else. :buds

If I have this right.....here is my plan...FYI....my photographic style is what I refer to as "random" .....so,

here is my weekend assignment.....

I know a place in the local mountains.....where MC events ( the bad kind) happen with some frequency......

so, if I go there with my digital camera....and start taking OH, maybe 1000 images...

just maybe, I will get one suitable to post here for JUDGEMENT....I mean instruction....

Do I have the assignment right??

Not quite. We're looking to get you to consider composition. What's in the frame? Does it reflect "long way to go?"

Great idea Dave.

Burnszilla,

Those rules are an excellent start. :nod
But only a start.
Some folks (not you), confuse the rough guidelines, such as the "rule of thirds", that help people when they're getting started as ...well... rules.

Great idea Dave.

Burnszilla,

Since my computer just nuked my reply got to remember what I wrote:hungover

What Kbasa is trying to relay to the idea of how to think of the photographing assignment though his wisely wants you to get out and ride:D :clap :brow

Here is an image I did last weekend up on Haggerman Pass, Colorado this is the base image to show what camera at a averaging captured my friend and I experienced at high elevations
JustinHaggermanbwcinternenotadjt.jpg

This images I the finished image to my aesthetical desires to really represent the riding we didÔǪ the images has multiple layers to the levels, color balancing, and curvesÔǪ three main sections and play between color and B&WÔǪ. Not what is being asked in the photo assignmentÔǪ but still it shows what you can find in a photo to really bring out the representation of something more than just an image of ÔÇÿsomething(s)ÔÇØÔǪ
JustinHaggermanbwcinternet.jpg

Though I would claim that in a more contemporary mode of interpretation that all photos are a manipulated medium Ansel Adams is a prime example if you take his negatives and print them with a averaging of the light meter readings you get very dull and bland images but he with his mastery of making negatives that had depth and details to them brought the images out with manipulations.. his compositions without the dodging and burning in the printing process would not show their strengths the Golden Mean or rule of thirds is a good base to start from but dont adhere strictly to it to really learn and push you images taking abilities look in the details at times. One good way to look at is alike writing an story the three parts foreground (what is in front of your focal point), the focal Point, and the background think about what draws you into the image to find the story of the image and how it relates to taking you on a journey to an conclusion of the image or out and back to the focal point a photograph is a doorway/ looking glass to another world or another place think about the 3-D aspects you are forcing into a two dimensional plane when taking a picture.

A very good resource is RangeFinder Mag you can get a subscription (think it is still free for most)

RANGEFINDER

Many article for beginners to experts to learn something

Though I would suggest three things.
1. clean off your memory card before leaving the house back up on two other places..
2. set you digital camera to the highest quality (dpi) and file size settings
3. resave all you images as TIFF or RAW formats (if your computer photo software can read them normally most all software can read TIFF) since then you will not loose and data (details) in the images due to how JPEG format files are saved even if you open on and resave with out doing anything

Outback UFO
Museum Archived photographer

Ahem...I think you're ripping off the dgrin challenge thread :rofl

A long way to go, interrupted by Wisconsin cows with their long way to go.

Attachments

• cows-1000.jpg
    cows-1000.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 301
Back