• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1999 K1200rs ABS problem

wsteele

My new neighbor has a '99 K1200RS with an ABS problem. He suspects that the brakes weren't bled properly, and created a problem. He saw me working on my bikes in the garage, and came over to ask me if I could fix it or to recommend a BMW shop in the area that could fix the problem. I know next to nothing about K-bike ABS systems or the proper bleeding procedures, much less how to fix them. I'd like to help him out, and fix it, if possible. Can someone point me in the right direction?

My new neighbor has a '99 K1200RS with an ABS problem. He suspects that the brakes weren't bled properly, and created a problem. He saw me working on my bikes in the garage, and came over to ask me if I could fix it or to recommend a BMW shop in the area that could fix the problem. I know next to nothing about K-bike ABS systems or the proper bleeding procedures, much less how to fix them. I'd like to help him out, and fix it, if possible. Can someone point me in the right direction?

What kind of ABS problem? Does he suspect the ABS is not working, or is he getting some warning lights? Thanks.

What kind of ABS problem? Does he suspect the ABS is not working, or is he getting some warning lights? Thanks.

Good question, he may not understand the normal ABS dash lights.
The easy test is to ride across the lawn and try to lock the back brake.

Good question, he may not understand the normal ABS dash lights.
The easy test is to ride across the lawn and try to lock the back brake.

I know you can get a brake warning if either of the brake master cylinders are low (the wheel circuit side) such as can happen as brake pads wear. And you get a warning if the rear tail light filament burns out. In that case, there's a dash warning light, and the bike illuminated the rear brake filament at reduced voltage to simulate the tail light until you get it replaced. Clever.

I believe the rear brake isn't working due to someone not bleeding the brakes properly. I'll try to look at it later this weekend, and try to get more details. Thanks, guys!

More details...

I spoke with my neighbor yesterday. He had the bike serviced at a shop, and the tech failed to top off the rear brake fluid reservoir after bleeding the rear brake. Subsequently, the rear brake was applied and caused the problem. There is no rear brake actuation when the brake is applied. He believes this has caused a problem with the ABS unit, and is wondering if/how to fix it. He also mentioned that there is some kind of switch or valve that may have been actuated and needs to somehow be unactuated. He also said that the front brake is working fine. Sorry, guys. I've always performed my own bike maintenance, but I'm a complete novice at ABS.

I spoke with my neighbor yesterday. He had the bike serviced at a shop, and the tech failed to top off the rear brake fluid reservoir after bleeding the rear brake. Subsequently, the rear brake was applied and caused the problem. There is no rear brake actuation when the brake is applied. He believes this has caused a problem with the ABS unit, and is wondering if/how to fix it. He also mentioned that there is some kind of switch or valve that may have been actuated and needs to somehow be unactuated. He also said that the front brake is working fine. Sorry, guys. I've always performed my own bike maintenance, but I'm a complete novice at ABS.

If it was me I would take it back to that shop and have them rebleed the back brake.
It probably has air in the line now.

You can bleed the rear brake just like you do on a non ABS bike.

Back