• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 1200RT mirror fell off

carguyjason

With less than a couple hundred miles on my new 1200RT, the right side mirror glass just flew off while riding. Anyone heard of this being a problem? I'm hoping I can self install the replacement to avoid a trip to the dealer.

Welcome to the forum!
A 2016 is still under warranty so you should be fine. I'm not familiar with the mirror configuration on that bike, maybe you could do the mirror transaction UPS if you can't get to the dealer?
I think your bike is a Wethead, so one of us will move this to Wetheads later.
Hate to have you loose track of your 1st post :)
Gary

Thank you - new to forum's in general so was not sure where to post it, and I surely would not know how to move it!
:thumb
Moving and rearranging is something us Moderators do :)
If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Gary

I'm fairly certain you can't do anything without returning to the dealer. They usually don't just give out warranty parts. You have to go in and have them do it.
I have heard of some falling off on older bikes, not the 2016. But not a lot.
dc

May I suggest one possibility:
The mirror was broken by someone during transit to or at the dealership. They tried a quick fix which obviously didn't work.
If this is the case, I would examine the bike and also have the dealership carefully check the bike for signs it was dropped and improperly fixed. There might be other hidden damage.
I once took delivery of a refrigerator where someone along the supply line tried to hide damage from a drop and getting everything made right was a long and painful process.

May I suggest one possibility:
The mirror was broken by someone during transit to or at the dealership. They tried a quick fix which obviously didn't work.
If this is the case, I would examine the bike and also have the dealership carefully check the bike for signs it was dropped and improperly fixed. There might be other hidden damage.

I gotta say, that's one heckova leap.

I disagree - my 1150RS was damaged slightly before I picked it up, but fortunately the dealer not only fessed up, they called me to tell me about it and it was going to take an extra day or two for them to make it right.

I doubt BMW wants to provide you multiple free mirrors and will insist on dealer installation to ensure it's done correctly and any other defective parts are identified.

"Avoiding dealer" is a really, really bad idea. Always.

The mirrors are supposed to be tethered to the bike so they can't fall to the ground. A trip to the dealer is in order.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mirror fell off

Dealer says, as suggested above, they have to install, and it will take a week or two to get the mirror from Germany. Some unseasonably warm weather predicted again this weekend, so I'll try to attach some sort of mirror so I can ride before winter finally sets in. The dealer as part of the sales pitch said they offer free pick up for service if bike can't be ridden. I think riding without a mirror probably qualifies for not being ridable.

Doubt if just the mirror glass can be ordered, my guess entire mirror
The mirror glass on the back looks like a ball that fits into a socket that has a clamping spring around it
I wouldn't be happy with just changing mirror, loose socket and it could happen again

Back