• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This is going to be unpopular

She gazes into the BMW Motorad Dealership with a glint of green showing in her iris, the returning reflection is her new Gs that.:dunno Oh sorry I thought this was about nothing:brad :brad:blah :buds :bar :beer :rofl :rofl

Nice Post

Cheers Michael

I Love Salty Fog:wow

:ha

Next thread, I believe.

What would be the hurdles of Day Passes offered Saturday afternoon only?
  • That’s one additional armband, if any at all.
  • A half day of added volunteers.
  • An experiment in logistics.
  • The passes would be sold without registration.

BeemoKat, I would add the inconvenience of registering to your list.
I think the ability to purchase a ticket at the door to go see vendors would be a plus to some. These people would not be eligible for seminars, drawings, charging stations, camping and all the added amenities of a rally. I don’t see security to these things as a problem because those wanting day passes (I perceive these people as locals) are not looking for those amenities.

Last edited:
The record continues...

19 pages...how long can it go on?

Tom

My favorite reply so far is that people wanting to steal valuables worth thousands or hundreds (bikes with keys in or GPS's) are deterred by the high entry price for the entire event, but would be willing to pay a day pass to steal a bike.:violin
It has been decided by the people that volunteer and put on the who shebang that (based on their experience) day passes would be too hard to administer. That's good enough for me. No other lame excuses needed. End of discussion. Move on.

Blues Brothers!!!

My friends and I easily agreed that the entertainment was worth the $35 each to enter.:clap :clap :clap

I still don't understand why it took 7++ yearsof asking for a flea market for it to be added...I volunteered for that also but was ignored, remember when we had a website volunteer page?

mark - do you want to know something funny?

ted wrote that page. i maintained it. :laugh

knowing the luck of things like this, you probably sent him an volunteer e-mail when he was in the hospital for 6 months. (did you ever hear the story of "two-truck ted?")

i was trying to fill in for him while running a company in the middle of the dot-com boom. people were billing $500/hour in their day job and it was tough to find qualified volunteers.

but we had many volunteers involved and if the e-mail you sent got missed, then it would be my fault and i apologize.

in my 9 years I've learned... its tough to get involved in this organization, you have to know somebody. I'm not talking about volunteering at the national rather really "getting involved"

well, during this same time we're talking about, the volunteers were running the web site mostly on our own nickel, our own PCs and software and a $40/month hosting package.

we did know a few people, ted was on the board. yet we could not get funding for an SSL certificate to secure the credit card data from the thousands of trusting members who used the site to register for the rally and renew their memeberships.

things move very slowly, and for a lot of reasons that aren't worth the re-hash. suffice it to say that this is what all led to the formation of a communications and marketing committee (which should have been named the marketing and communications committee) and ultimately the Media Editor position.

things have made slow but steady progress since that point. and from what i hear, there is a nice site refresh in the offiing.......

thanks for the point to the web.archive.org site... because it basically verifies both your point and ted's.

there was a LOT of information on our site back then, even though we were not allowed to access the BMW press center.

there still *is* a lot of information on our site from back then, which leads me to ask if you're interested in something i need done for the upcoming (probably this winter) "Always an Adventure" section of the web site.

if you dig around in the web archive, and in the dark corners of our site, you'll find years worth of rally information:

Rally 1999 (out in cyberspace somewhere... i got a copy on my local drive)
Rally 2000
Rally 2001 ( a particularly bloody year...) ;)
Rally 2002
Rally 2003
Rally 2004
Rally 2005
Rally 2006
Rally 2007

Within each of these sites there are numerous stories describing rides, places to see, camping, etc.

I need someone with web skills to take all this information, structure it consistently, created consistent looking pages and help me get it published as reference for members planning trips in areas where past rallies were held.

interested?

ian

ps => http://web.archive.org/web/20031202030711/www.bmwmoa.org/roads/

this was a volunteer effort that ted initiated. there is good data here that needs to be resurrected.

speaking of volunteers....

i got to clicking around in the archive and came across a very good example of the volunteer spirit:

Zen and the road to Redmond

written by fellow g/s rider robert banis, and photographed by fellow gs rider marco prozzo... one of the best "ride to the rally" articles ever. these two guys didn't know each other and their talents were matched to suit the opportunity.

the copy is still relevant today... the photos are small because it was 2001. the photos are stunning.

it would be so cool to see some of this stuff live again.

ian

mark - do you want to know something funny?

ted wrote that page. i maintained it. :laugh

knowing the luck of things like this, you probably sent him an volunteer e-mail when he was in the hospital for 6 months. (did you ever hear the story of "two-truck ted?")

I'm not sure of the exact timeline but I remember when Ted was hit (wasn't it during the new york rally?) I was a early member of K11OG. I may have sent it to hime thinking well "he's not doing anything...now why don't he call??

My point was while he was commenting on getting involved, its not always that easy.

Its is great having Ted active on the forum, very nice having the background on some of these issues and where we've been.

I thinks its finally over

I see its been four days since the last posting on this thread. I think its finally, officially dead...

Tom

Nu-uh!

So........day passes, huh?

Tom. you should check out the Dells Rally. Galena and the Nat'l should not be your only yardstick for rallies. It is already at a resort so you can get a room.
I should warn you we don't have day passes though. ;)

Just to keep this thread going....

I think if you're going to have Day Passes you should also allow registered handguns, increase the gas tax, allow immigents to become citizens (and attend the rally at a discount) and permit abortions to be performed at certain booths.

Did I miss anything?

:lurk

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

No One said:
Came in from nothing a whole 0 miles from nothing. This is the 1st BMW rally of nothingness I had not attended. I attempted nothing in the mid 90's, but to attend the Chicago Area BMWOA rally in Galena, Il and was so turned off by the attitude of the nothing staff running the show I swore I'd had it w/ nothing rally's. Well its over 0 yrs later, I'd so I figure I'm back w/ BMW, Il go to the National nothingness seeing as its so close.

Well I guess I just don't get it, I have to pay nothing for a camp site I'm not going to use, full weekend-o'-nothing passes only, no daily passes (what if I lived in nothing but No Town, WI?) but I say to myself where else am I going to find all of these nothingness oriented vendors, right? I pay nothing for the nobody and I, so I can buy no lunch and walk around for no hours looking at no stuff to buy. I'm sure the nothing vendors paid to be doing nothing there, now why exactly did I have to pay all that nothingness to do nothing but to come in? I just got back not-at-all long ago, I loved to see so many nothing's in one place, but I wasted nothing and nothing won't happen again.

As I said nothing is not going to be popular, but let me point out some of the bigger nothings for me.

- Nothing for the locals. Being close to or near the nothing sight should have some nothingness, but I guess not.

- Camping sucks nothing, just my opinion, but I'm not making you pay for my nothingness laden hotel room, why am I paying nothing for no campsite I'm not using

-Liability waivers for nothing! Let me tell you the next time I see a nuthin' Harley bashing thread I will point out that I have never signed a waiver at a nothingness poker run. I don't see no waivers being passed out at the Sturgisness Nothingness Rally

Now I know everyone is all high about the rally, and I don't know where its going to be next year, but you probably aren't goin' to see me, as I see in no years nothing has changed

Is this the right thread for nothingness? Or is this something? :lurk

It appears to me that one very important point has been slighted in this forum discussion. I believe that the rally has historically and purposely been presented as a general membership party and that attendance is somewhat restricted to membership. (technically it is open to all- the only bar being a full price admission) I also believe that a good portion of rally attendees view it as such. I also believe that many members view the rally as a membership benefit. These are assumptions and are not supported by other than anecdotal evidence.

Motard

I believe 50% of the '07 attendees were MOA members.

Does anyone know how many people registered on saturday?
And how many volunteers were in the tent that day?

These numbers will be interesting and I hope that they can and will be supplied.

Both sides of the argument need to be a bit careful in how they use them. For example can the number of spouses/soÔÇÖs/minor family will be included in them? Does that speak to the value of a day pass, lack of value in the associate membership program, or is just the way things are?

Back