• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

California fires- Sonoma County- Mendocino, Napa County....Santa Rosa

Well once again, my friend lives right there...and he says the original fire started by power lines coming down due to high wind. Hard to make a criminal connection there.

Then there was a rumor of arson in a neighborhood a few miles away.

If you still insist that {I} misunderstood?...then there is no point continuing this.

Failure to adequately maintain a power system, which failure allowed the ignition of wild fires, might in and of itself be a crime. Negligent homicide - that is negligence resulting in death. Time will tell.

Aren't you sorta looking for the "boogeyman" there Paul ?...I mean mechanical systems / electrical systems / components and such do just fail.

Aren't you sorta looking for the "boogeyman" there Paul ?...I mean mechanical systems / electrical systems / components and such do just fail.

I'm not looking for anything. But I do understand that PG&E was being/has been investigated for failing to maintain certain elements of their infrastructure, and/or trim trees as necessary. That is all. I'm just a guy in Texas. When the investigations and the lawsuits start in California - as they certainly will - the world will then know more. Something is seriously wrong when high winds down lines that start fires that burn thousands of acres, a few thousand homes, many businesses, many vehicles and maybe a hundred or more people.

PG&E was fined very heavily in the past for wildland fires caused by negligent maintenance. In past cases it was discovered that some managers had diverted funds from line maintenance accounts to other activities. Not saying that’s the case here, but the precedent is established to make them liable.

Much the same has been done for railroad operations that caused wildland fires. We had a case of about 15 fires erupting along a line north of Reno after a defective locomotive went by spewing hot carbon chunks. Western Pacific RR reps were onsite before we finished extinguishing the fires. They were going door to door trying to settle damage claims before anyone filed...

I'm not looking for anything. But I do understand that PG&E was being/has been investigated for failing to maintain certain elements of their infrastructure, and/or trim trees as necessary. That is all. I'm just a guy in Texas. When the investigations and the lawsuits start in California - as they certainly will - the world will then know more. Something is seriously wrong when high winds down lines that start fires that burn thousands of acres, a few thousand homes, many businesses, many vehicles and maybe a hundred or more people.

Well I admit I was not aware of the information you provided........But is it out of the question that winds, whipping lines could cause them to snap? Particularly at the end connections ?

It happened when hurricane Ike came through here in "08" . Wind speed was said to be 81 mph...I went dark for five days. [They] said it was the wind toppling trees onto the lines, and in some cases just the whipping of the lines in the high winds . Granted we had no damage...other than some spoiled food....but no law suits that I was aware of.

Well I admit I was not aware of the information you provided........But is it out of the question that winds, whipping lines could cause them to snap? Particularly at the end connections ?

It happened when hurricane Ike came through here in "08" . Wind speed was said to be 81 mph...I went dark for five days. [They] said it was the wind toppling trees onto the lines, and in some cases just the whipping of the lines in the high winds . Granted we had no damage...other than some spoiled food....but no law suits that I was aware of.

The Diablo winds in coastal California are well known and generally predictable - not as to the day or week but certainly as to the fact they will happen, usually every year. Roofs are attached so as to withstand the winds. Power lines should be constructed and maintained so as to withstand the predictable winds. Trees should be trimmed so as to remain clear of the lines even with the predictable winds. In fact tree trimming is mandatory by Federal regulations since the great Northeast U.S. blackout that started when a tree downed a power line in Ohio which crashed the whole Northeast grid. I learned that when the power company in Kansas decided to clear cut under a transmission line across our property. Since their easement didn't allow that I threw them off the property. Eventually my lawyer and their lawyer worked out a new easement for which I was paid satisfactorily.

That is my only point. Multiple line failures at scattered locations which start several catastrophic fires is a pattern that needs to be and will be investigated. The fires have, I am sure, burned up many motorcycles including some BMWs I would surmise.

Well once again, my friend lives right there...and he says the original fire started by power lines coming down due to high wind. Hard to make a criminal connection there.

Then there was a rumor of arson in a neighborhood a few miles away.

If you still insist that {I} misunderstood?...then there is no point continuing this.

Ron,

I think your friend is probably right on the money about the original ignition source being the power lines in high wind? Arson will have to be substantiated or ruled out?

What you were misunderstanding was the difference between a natural disaster and arson resulting in the loss of property or ones life in a fire? Also, criminal negligence as it relates to property loss, injuries and death. My intent was not to insult you but to clarify and educate after some of your comments. I live 75 miles from this incident.. I spent 32 years in the Fire Service. 15 years on our investigation team. My last 9 years as a Chief officer. I think Paul G is right on the money (in his above posts) as far as the legalities go and the way I understand it? He has many years of experience in that field. He appears to really know his stuff! Great explanation.

I hope your friends and their property stay safe in the next few critical days? We might have a little much needed rain coming late next week?

John

Ron,

I think your friend is probably right on the money about the original ignition source being the power lines in high wind? Arson will have to be substantiated or ruled out?

What you were misunderstanding was the difference between a natural disaster and arson resulting in the loss of property or ones life in a fire? Also, criminal negligence as it relates to property loss, injuries and death. My intent was not to insult you but to clarify and educate after some of your comments. I live 75 miles from this incident.. I spent 32 years in the Fire Service. 15 years on our investigation team. My last 9 years as a Chief officer. I think Paul G is right on the money (in his above posts) as far as the legalities go and the way I understand it? He has many years of experience in that field. He appears to really know his stuff! Great explanation.

I hope your friends and their property stay safe in the next few critical days? We might have a little much needed rain coming late next week?

John

"I think your friend is probably right on the money about the original ignition source being the power lines in high wind? Arson will have to be substantiated or ruled out? "

That was my point.

Thanks for the well wishes...he said so far his house is still standing. And yes praying for rain.

Back