• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1300S Side stand

zoomie

I have owned a K1200R, K1200R Sport and a K1300S. All three have a common irritant. The side stand. I can’t seem to lower it with my foot. I’ve tried to get in between the peg and the shifter with both my heel and my toe, but no room. For some reason I can’t reach it behind the peg, either. I have never had this problem on any other bike I’ve owned. I feel like a dweeb reaching down and lowering it by hand. Suggestions?:scratch

Both my wife and I had a K1300S.
I didn't have a problem with the side stand but from time to time my wife had trouble putting the stand down.
Never figured out a good solution other than having me put the stand down for her.
She has long legs, so the reach wasn't the problem, the position of the stand was wrong for her.

One of the side stand enlargers had a tab that stuck out but it seems like this enlarger didn't work on the S.

Here's one made for the RT.
31rgn7FrtdL.jpg

RATS!

I ordered one of those. Maybe some redneck engineering can make it work?

It might work. I did not find one that said it fit the K1300S and did not try it.
I don't think the tab will interfere with anything but the shape of the recessed area in the plate may be a problem.

IMG_0087.jpg

The angle of Lee's picture makes it hard to see but is there not a tang on the sidestand to which the springs are attached and which sticks out about 2 inches? I use this with my toe to deploy the stand. Works every time.

The angle of Lee's picture makes it hard to see but is there not a tang on the sidestand to which the springs are attached and which sticks out about 2 inches? I use this with my toe to deploy the stand. Works every time.

It has a tang like the one pictured in post #6.

The picture in post # 6 is good news for the OP because the GT stand should be the same as the S.

The additional problem is that I had to use a Verholin peg lowering kit to be able to get my feet on and off the pegs. This kit moved my feet down and forward enough to preclude me from getting my size 13s between the foot peg and shifter. Ergonomics is a real pain. Change one thing and at least two other problems pop up.

On to ebay to price GT stands. As always, I appreciate the help! :scratch

The additional problem is that I had to use a Verholin peg lowering kit to be able to get my feet on and off the pegs. This kit moved my feet down and forward enough to preclude me from getting my size 13s between the foot peg and shifter. Ergonomics is a real pain. Change one thing and at least two other problems pop up.

that was a key piece of information that should have been in the first post.....no lowered pegs = no problem.

that wasn't in the original post either......:scratch. a clear picture of the problem lends itself to better proposed solutions, faster..

He did state it later.
The additional problem is that I had to use a Verholin peg lowering kit to be able to get my feet on and off the pegs. This kit moved my feet down and forward enough to preclude me from getting my size 13s between the foot peg and shifter.

I did post a solution.
The stands should be the same. I have lowering pegs on my GT and I use the heel of my boot to lower the stand.

Get rid of the lowering pegs and ride it like it was designed to be ridden!
Apparently with size 13 shoes, he must be on the tall side. Might be a little cramped riding.

Gee! Tough crowd.
Actually, these K bikes are quite comfortable for those of us of normal stature. I have little problem riding my R1200RS with the optional pegs, but I’m thinking perhaps my current situation has more to do with the width of the pegs contributing to the lack of room between the peg and shifter.

Anyway, as I said before, other than this issue, the bike fits me well and is actually more comfortable than the R1200RS. Before some wag brings it up; no, I do not have risers on the handle bars, a touring wind screen, highway pegs nor saddle bags. :thumb

Gee! Tough crowd.

Anyway, as I said before, other than this issue, the bike fits me well and is actually more comfortable than the R1200RS. Before some wag brings it up; no, I do not have risers on the handle bars, a touring wind screen, highway pegs nor saddle bags. :thumb

LOL!

i am sure you already realize this, but since the S is a sport bike, the lowered pegs have already compromised max lean angle. extending the existing sidestand nub or adding a k13GT sidestand will compromise it further. yes, even the stock peg location can hit the ground when working it (on track).

Back