• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tennessee Welcome Center- Memphis

barryg

I know a lot of the rally attendees will be entering Tennessee from the west will be traveling east on I-40 into Memphis. I think exit 1 onto Riverside Dr. Heading south. The address is 119 Riverside Dr. Turn right at Bass Pro Dr./Jefferson Av. I think the Welcome Center is 1/8 mile off I-40. It's close. Stop and get your free Tennessee state map. Check out the statues of Elvis Presley and BB King. Lots of info on central TN. It's a nice break stop.:)

If your running/riding ahead of schedule ride a 1/2 block and visit the Bass Pro Shop at the Pyramid. It's over the top and has nice restaurants.

Cordelia's Market- Mud Island

Another close eatery is just north of the Welcome Center on Mud Island. The address is 739 Harbor Bend Rd. Nice indoor restaurant and a nice patio outside. You will pass a beautiful outdoor park overlooking the river. Get your food at the market and get your spot at the park for a picnic. The park is called Mississippi River Greenbelt Park. I:thumb

Westy's Bar and Restaurant

About half way between the Welcome Center and Cordelia's is this restaurant at 346 N. Main. This place has one of the largest most diverse menus in Memphis. Everyone down town eats there. They also deliver to the local motels and hotels. 901 543 3278

These stops can be done fairly quickly, their close to I-40, so you should be able to keep moving toward Lebanon and the rally.

I'll be picking up I-40 at mile marker 25 (I-269 interchange) at around 4pm Wednesday afternoon. You guys should post-up your expected transit times so maybe we could hook up and ride together.

There will probably be 10's of 100's coming thru there all day on I-40 heading east toward Nashville. Just fall in line and become part of the procession. :dance

There will probably be 10's of 100's coming thru there all day on I-40 heading east toward Nashville. Just fall in line and become part of the procession. :dance

I regret that you are probably right, but with the several secondary roads running generally east from Memphis I am not sure why.

If your riding ahead of schedule and have some time on your hand, stop in Memphis and go to The Rendezvous for BBQ. It's across the street from the Peabody Hotel, in the alley. I love their dry rub ribs. I eat half dry and the other half soaked in the sause. If your riding solo, just sit at the bar, it's got the best view. The place is is a visual smorgasbord and along with the aroma of the Q. It's just great. Love the waiters, Robert Sr., Robert Jr., Geno. I may have to go tonight. 52 S. 2nd, in the alley. PS If you pressed for time going to the rally, just stop on your return ride home. :thumb

Paul, this thread was aimed at riders who are under a restricted time frame. I was just pointing out a few stops where they can see some nice places get some good food and get the most out of their compacted ride to or from the rally. Yes, it's great for the retired, to take your time and meander your way to and from the rally. Plez enjoy your meandering ride thru the pastoral hiways and byways of Western and Central Tennessee.:thumb

Paul, this thread was aimed at riders who are under a restricted time frame. I was just pointing out a few stops where they can see some nice places get some good food and get the most out of their compacted ride to or from the rally. Yes, it's great for the retired, to take your time and meander your way to and from the rally. Plez enjoy your meandering ride thru the pastoral hiways and byways of Western and Central Tennessee.:thumb

I understand, but Google Maps shows that a route over through Waynesboro would take only one hour and sixteen minutes longer. So call it a couple extra hours. I think that is a decent tradeoff for staying off I-40.

Excellent choice, I've ridden it a few times, probably more than a few times. Riding across south Tennessee is great. Highways
57, 64, 100, 412 all outstanding roads. The BMW RAMS had their Return to Shiloh Rally at Pickwick nearby, for many years. Great little country pastoral routes. Tennessee is the complete package of riding and hospitality.

Kind of a historical area. Shiloh Battlefield, The historical background to the movie Walking Tall is nearby, Adamsville, if I remember correctly. If your an old movie buff, a John Wayne movie starts in the little town of La Grange, TN. The movie was The Horse Soldiers. Lots to see and do in Tennessee.:)

Excellent choice, I've ridden it a few times, probably more than a few times. Riding across south Tennessee is great. Highways
57, 64, 100, 412 all outstanding roads. The BMW RAMS had their Return to Shiloh Rally at Pickwick nearby, for many years. Great little country pastoral routes. Tennessee is the complete package of riding and hospitality.

From Topeka or Lawrence, Kansas I rode to the Return to Shilo - Best Rally by a Damsite - several times. I like that countryside.

Catfish

If you are in the Shiloh Battlefield area go to the Catfish Hotel and eat you will be happy you did.

Hagy's Catfish Hotel Restaurant

Yes, I had the catfish dinner here several times back when the RAMS Rally was here. I liked it. If your a BMW rider meandering to or from the rally, this is a great stop. 1140 Hagy Lane Shiloh, TN. 38376. 731 689 3327:thumb

I remember that quite a few of the rally attendees stayed at the hotel. I used the Corps of Engineers campgrounds. Camping in the Pines was another RAMS motto. Visit the famous Shiloh Battlefield Park. Perfect for you meandering rally goers. :dance

West TN. Delta Heritage Center- Brownsville

For those running I-40 east and don't like the idea of stopping in Memphis, this is a good stop just off the super slab. Basically a welcome center and west Tennessee Museum. A lot of the museum is devoted to Tennessee music history. Tina Turner and Carl Perkins are featured. Tina grew up just north of Brownsville in the famous little town of Nutbush. Nutbush city limits. Tina grew up in typical southern poverty and reached the highest achievements possible in music and Hollywood. Fame and fortune from a dirt poor upbringing. :thumb

Carl Perkins grew up in Northwest TN. In the little town of Tiptonville. He was one of the early pioneers of Rock&Roll. Was 'discovered' by Sam Phillips of Sun Records in Memphis. Sam paired Carl with the little known at the time Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis. They became the famous Million Dollar Trio. Carl later became the King of Rockabilly. Anyway he's featured at the Delta Museum.

The west TN. Delta Museum has a lot of lesser known blues, rock&roll, soul, country stars on display.They also have a lot of info on all the different regions of TN.. Stop here and get your Tennessee dot map. Nice local restaurants to complete the stop.

Back