• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ram GPS mount

This does NOT replace existing resevoir cover!

It replaces the existing clutch fluid reservoir cover.

I hate to disagree but I just installed this on my R1200RT last weekend and it does not replace the existing clutch resevoir cover. It comes with some inserts and slightly longer screws and sits on top of the existing resevoir cover. See the below for a post I made with pictures to show it....

Twins...I bought this locally here in Austin from a guy...worked with me and he seems like a nice guy. I'm not affiliated with him, just ran across him on the RAM website as he's an official dealer...anyway...just wanted to clarify from what I knew...

I bought the RAM reservoir cover ball (easy install), arm & cradle from here. This is a self-business that the guy (Barry) rides himself. Didn't know him before I ordered but he went out of his way to bring the parts up to north austin instead of dealing with shipping them for me. On the weekends he rides around providing motorcyle EMS services...pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, I bought the power cable here. It looked different then the one listed above as it was fused. If the other is pre-fused then that was a better deal. :)

I bought the CF card from Walgreens as listed above....

I posted pictures of my mount for someone on the SportTouring Forum here just look for my same username and there are 3 attached pictures...

Hope this helps...

Gabe, I'll find out soon enough as I have one ordered. Got it off the net as I ordered it before seeing your post.

I hate to disagree but I just installed this on my R1200RT last weekend and it does not replace the existing clutch resevoir cover. It comes with some inserts and slightly longer screws and sits on top of the existing resevoir cover. See the below for a post I made with pictures to show it....

Well I hate to disagree.

If we are talking about the RAM-B-345U it looks like this (from the RAM web site)...

RAMB345.jpg

...and as far as I can tell from the above pic, that cover is flush with the rest of the clutch reservoir housing.

The pics that JustKruzen posted on BMWSportTouring is something completely different and looks like its been pieced together using RAM parts.

Anyway, I chose to be more creative and made my own RAM mount for my GS Adventure...
148883143_aJLpw-L-1.jpg

Simple, eh? The RAM-B-345U came out after my creation (I wonder where they got that idea), but at under $20 for that cover/ball, I was wondering about the quality of the RAM casting.

Well I hate to disagree.

If we are talking about the RAM-B-345U it looks like this (from the RAM web site)...

...and as far as I can tell from the above pic, that cover is flush with the rest of the clutch reservoir housing.

The pics that JustKruzen posted on BMWSportTouring is something completely different and looks like its been pieced together using RAM parts.

Simple, eh? The RAM-B-345U came out after my creation (I wonder where they got that idea), but at under $20 for that cover/ball, I was wondering about the quality of the RAM casting.

I guess the picture can be confusing but I do know from personal experience just last weekend that this does not replace the existing cover. I don't know who JustKruzen is but look for my screenname on the link to the other thread and you will see 3 photos attached to the thread. Just to avoid confusion I will attach them here as well...

Attachments

• 20080209 Pictures 022 Medium Web view.jpg
    20080209 Pictures 022 Medium Web view.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 866
Pic 2

Attachments

• 20080209 Pictures 024 Medium Web view.jpg
    20080209 Pictures 024 Medium Web view.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 799
The finished mount...

Attachments

• 20080209 Pictures 025 Medium Web view.jpg
    20080209 Pictures 025 Medium Web view.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 899
Finally...here's the description from the MountingInnovations website listed above:

RAM-B-345U
Motorcycle Reservoir Cover with Center Ball

Center Ball Reservoir Adaptor fits cleanly over your existing reservoir cover and is a one piece design.

Made of Die Cast aluminum with an over molded rubber ball,

Installation is simple and all necessary hardware is included.

Compatible Motorcycle Models Listfor the RAM-B-345 click here

And...just to top it off...here's the instructions to install from Ram themselves...CLICK HERE

That one is different from mine where the ball is off the "inside" toward the cluster on mine. It was a complete replacement.

258846291_e359N-M.jpg

I got it from Cycle Gadgets.

I guess the picture can be confusing but I do know from personal experience just last weekend that this does not replace the existing cover.

The one you've pictured clearly doesn't replace the cover, but then what you've mounted isn't what is shown on the RAM site.

Everybody might be right. There are several different mounts to fit the master cylinders - left and right.

One replaces the cover, and has a ball roughly in its center. This is the first one asked about in this thread and shown in #7. One replaces the cover and has the ball off to one side ( pictured in # 12). One is a metal plate that does not replace but mounts above the OEM cover supported on little spacers and retained with longer screws, (pictured in # 8). I have had both the second and third types.

here is the guy I use, he is in Austin and the TX distributor...They just came out with the replacement cover for the Hexheads.

two styles. look under resevoir mounts in the index and page down

345-u-- replaces the cover

346-u sits on top

www.mountinginnovations.com

The "reservoir mounts" from that site you listed say:

"RAM-B-345UCenter Ball Reservoir Adaptor fits cleanly over your existing reservoir cover and is a one piece design."

"RAM-B-346U Side Ball Reservoir Adaptor fits cleanly over your existing reservoir cover and is a one piece design"

Thats where I ordered mine from.

But some pics on the Ram Mount factory site look like a replacement type of mount where it REPLACES the OEM cover :fight I wonder if they are switching production to the "over" mount in place of the "replacement" type??????

:banghead

here is the guy I use, he is in Austin and the TX distributor...They just came out with the replacement cover for the Hexheads.

two styles. look under resevoir mounts in the index and page down

345-u-- replaces the cover

346-u sits on top

www.mountinginnovations.com

Hey Steve,

Not to disagree, but I bought from Barry at Mounting Innovations and the 345-U sits on top as well. The picture on both the RAM website and his site is horrible though as it clearly looks like it replaces the cover. Even Barry's verbiage at Mounting Innovations says it sits over the cover.

The 345-U fits over the cover and the ball is directly over the cover itself.

The 346-U fits over the cover but the ball is offset to the side...I guess maybe to get it out of the line of the mirror but not sure.

When I talked to Barry a few weeks ago, he suggested that I stick with the 345-U as it's one he had used many a time vs. the 346-U which is fairly new...

Anyway...just my 2 cents....FWIW...

Back