• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saddlebag questions

skibumwi

G'day,

How weatherproof are the saddlebag on the 2014+ RT?

Are liners a worthwhile investment for protection? Any recommendations for a decent liner bag?

Thanks,
Ski

G'day,

Are liners a worthwhile investment for protection? Any recommendations for a decent liner bag?

Thanks,
Ski

I don't have a RT but have always used bag liners in our BMW panniers.
It easier to put liners in the tent or carry them into the motel.
With painted lids, the more your carry them around the better your chance to scratch them.

I've been in some extremely heavy torrential rain with my 2014 RTW and did not notice any leakage whatsoever, for any of the BMW cases (side panniers and 49L top-case). I pulled off the road and stayed in a restaurant because it was impossible to see more than 50 feet in front of me and the wind was getting extremely high - had real concerns about the bike tipping off the stand.

There are three liner options that come readily to mind for the RTW:

Which is best is really a matter of personal preference. I use Kathy's liners, and have for some time now. First on my 2004 R1150RT and when I bought my 2014 RT, I bought a set for it. Wouldn't leave home on a trip without them.

For me the idea is two-fold, convenience and organization.

For convenience, I simply don't like taking a pannier off the bike after a long ride in the wet with all the water and road-grime on it. The liners are also far lighter and less awkward to carry than the cases.

For organization, I travel with the BMW 49L top-case and when I stop for the night I remove the liner from the top-case (it holds the items I'll want to access through the day, and some of my daily clothing). I place it on the seat and put my helmet (after I've removed my Sena and placed it in the liner bag), gloves, etc. in the nearly empty top-case. I then remove the pannier liner from the left pannier and I'm good to go. Far lighter and easier to carry than the cases.

My right side pannier (curb-side) holds my roadside and emergency gear needs (Neon Yellow Rev'it one-piece rainsuit, etc.) on the bottom and on top of that, in that side's liner I keep my clothing and other items that I won't need until the following day and the laundry from the previous day. These items are packed in stuff sacks inside the liner itself organized based on when I'll want them. So when I return to the bike the next morning, after the first night, I have my previous day's socks, underwear, and top, in a small stuff sack and move them from the left-side liner that I've carried to the bike and place them in the bottom of the right-side liner while taking out the next mornings change (in it's own stuff sack) and place it in the left-side liner, so again, when I stop for the evening it is just the the left and top case liners that I need to carry in.

I place the roadside/emergency gear in the right-side (curb-side) side pannier to keep as safe as possible for those unexpected roadside stops to fix something, put on rain-gear, etc. It is not very safe having to stand into the traffic when you could just as easily place the bike between you and all those distracted drivers streaming by.

That's why I really prefer to travel with liners, others are fine travelling without them, so to each their own.

Spent 7 years on an R1200RT. NEVER had an issue with even the most minor leak in the panniers, and I've traveled thru some torrential weather.

Bags inside the side cases were a big help at the end of the day, when stumbling into a motel room, exhausted.

Several designs on the market - skip the BMW brand - too expensive when other sources will do the same thing just as well. Kathys makes nice stuff.

Good luck and safe travels! :thumb

Very heavy rains with my 15rt no leaks, Kathy's bags for 1600 and 14up RT are excellent and a lot less expensive than Bmw bags

14rt, and lots of heavy rain miles, always with dry bags. I also have a Honda Interceptor with bags too. They have liners and I always felt the liners took too much room in the bags. I have a bunch of cloth backpacks, with the string shoulder straps that I use to compartmentalize everything. They remain soft and can be stuffed in all kinds of irregular shapes. I can really fill the bags to the max that way. They take up no space at all and transfer easily from bike to hotel room or tent.

Thanks for the inputs, I ordered the bags from Kathy's but plan to supplement them wih an assortment of stuff sacks.

I'm really happy that the panniers do their job so well.

Ski

Never a leak and they have been tested. Liners for me are a must, carrying a dirty case into a hotel room or tent isn't good and if you hit a wall with them you'll really think why don't I have liners? I'm still using my old liners from my 02R1150RT from Helen 2 Wheels, long story but she is out of the biz and wouldn't buy from the company marketing under her name. I got a nice set of liners from Cee Baily for my Wee Strom (Pelican cases), it may be another consideration. https://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw-k-1200-gt-2006-up-motorcycle-saddle-bag-liners

Jay

G'day,

Thanks,
Ski

2009 RT. Never had them until I bought a 2014 1200 Multistrada Grantorisimo. Since then I'm a believer as the other guys have pointed out. Leave the luggage on and grab the bags. However, you cannot pack as much stuff in those bags with liners, as you can in raw saddlebags. Since the BMW saddlebags don't leak, you could also do what I do. That is buy some small mesh bags from Kathy and pack multiple mesh bags into each bag and use them to organize your stuff. So when I get to hotel or rally I only unpack the mesh I need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Multistrada came with all the liners. Very nice Italian stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had a number of Cee Bailey's products and like their stuff quite a bit. The only issue I have with their liners for the RTW is that the bags are (from what I recall) straight up and down on the sides.

I chose the Kathy's Liners because they have external pockets where the recesses are in the panniers so there is very, very little wasted space using her liners. I also found as others have noted that the BMW liners take up too much space and are, as I noted, very expensive. The RKA liners are better at that but still don't match Kathy's for load capacity and value for $. The RKAs almost match the BMW liners for snazzy looks though. ;-)

The over-the-shoulder straps on the BMW liners are pretty handy ... something I think you don't get with the budget brands.

The BMW liners retain a fixed shape ... the shape of (most?) budget brand liners is determined by what you stuff them with, as they are flimsy/floppy.

The over-the-shoulder straps on the BMW liners are pretty handy ... something I think you don't get with the budget brands...
Don't know about the others, but the Kathy's top-case liners also come with a shoulder strap and ones are available for the side bag liners for $8 IIRC.

...The BMW liners retain a fixed shape ... the shape of (most?) budget brand liners is determined by what you stuff them with, as they are flimsy/floppy.
Quite true, and for some that's a plus, for others it's a minus. That's why I suggested that one look at all three of the brands I could quickly think of and make their own decision. Each of us typically has slightly different needs, wants and desires and it is rare that one-size-fits-all applies.

One thing is for certain, a person who wants bag liners should be able find something close to what they're looking for in what is available. It might be more than one wants to pay (most things in life are), but there are very good options available.

What they said, the side cases are water tight. The liners are there for convenience first. You don't have to carry the case into hotel rooms.
I have Bestems that I bought on ebay. They're semi rigid heavy cordura, PU coated and lined with orange nylon.

I got the Cee Bailey liners, < 1/2 the price of BMW's. Haven't had any rain seepage yet, I just got the liners because of the way the saddlebags open out, instead of opening the top.

With the BMW liners it's reasonable to buy only one of them. They're great for the take-into-motel mode - easy packing and transporting - but not especially great for digging around in while stopped beside the road. With my new R1200R I bought only the left side and use other kinds of bags, or no bag at all, for the right side. I use the right side for jackets, gloves, snacks, pump, tools, etc., and when the bike's on its side stand, the right side case is sloped so its contents are less apt to fall out. For me, having only one liner bag works out well.

BMW Liners

Greetings,

I have a pair of the BMW liners. They are wonderfully made however they are so stiff as to be hard to put some items inside. I am a large guy so as you can imagine my coat is rather large as well, 3x tall, and it will not fit inside the liner nor will it fit in the pannier if the liner is inside. Just assumed it was because I'm so big only to find out my 5'2" wife's coat will not fit either. The armor in the sleeves and shoulders prevent you from rolling them up enough to fit. My textile HD jacket contains no armor and will roll up much smaller. In fairness they are both Tourmaster Transitions jackets so they are fairly large anyway.

The liners are excellent though for traveling as others have noted as you just grab them and go when you get to your hotel. Very well made bags.

SteveM

Its interesting, but I've never worried about my hard cases leaking in the rain. Modern bikes seem to have this all sorted out. No?

Its interesting, but I've never worried about my hard cases leaking in the rain. Modern bikes seem to have this all sorted out. No?

The bags on both of our 2011 K1300S bags leaked. Bags liner kept our stuff dry.
Sometimes at rallies when we were out on day rides with jacket liners or heated gear in the bags I had to remember to take that stuff in the room at night in case it rained.

Back