• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coolant change interval for new water boxer

Does anyone have info/recommendation for changing out the coolant on the new water boxer? I can't find any change interval in the BMW service manual. Time/mileage interval?

However that said we go back to our cars and never changing our anti freeze or brake fluid and we all live to drive another day :scratch

Yes, and a radiator for my car cost me $80 with free shipping and one for my K75 is $670. So it pays to be a bit fussier with our bikes than our cars.

Coolant change interval

Yes, and a radiator for my car cost me $80 with free shipping and one for my K75 is $670. So it pays to be a bit fussier with our bikes than our cars.
Paul, I agree with your assessment. I live in the Northeast and usually get 15-20K miles per year. Does change interval at 2 year/36K sound reasonable to you?

The OEM Repair Manual for the R1200R LC and the R1200RS LC calls for a coolant change at 18,000 miles.

I just completed an 18,000 mile service and the coolant change was a no brainer, easy to do with no real surprises.

Do drain the overflow tank before you open the radiator fill cap. Ask me how I know.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

The OEM Repair Manual for the R1200R LC and the R1200RS LC calls for a coolant change at 18,000 miles.

I just completed an 18,000 mile service and the coolant change was a no brainer, easy to do with no real surprises.

Do drain the overflow tank before you open the radiator fill cap. Ask me how I know.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

The list the shop printed for me only shows checking the coolant level at 18,000 miles.
Did you use the vacuum method when you changed the coolant?

I haven't changed antifreeze in anything in a very long time. The systems are tight and the fluids are better so I don't worry about it.
I do however add the Prestone anti-rust and water pump lube-
radiator_anti_rust_water_pump_lube.png

http://prestone.com/enmx/node/1428
And, I think it has helped. I have one engine at 26years, 8000 plus hours and the block's interior looks great. I do check the freeze point from time to time.
Everybody does it different.
OM

Service Manager told me NEVER. I said seriously and he said seriously :thumb

I would look at doing it at 3-4 years or so. I already have a gallon from the car dealer.

I know it is high quality and is supposed to be lifetime, but I will do mine on a service when it suits me. I do not believe anything is lifetime.

However that said we go back to our cars and never changing our anti freeze or brake fluid and we all live to drive another day :scratch

I recall that was the original stance on the EVO final drives...Lifetime fill was the head scratching guideline....and that became a bit different very quickly :banghead

The mechanic that maintains my cars and truck checks the coolant's PH, or some chemical indicator. They change it if it goes out of spec. They do this every time I bring it in. So far, they have never had to change it and that's over 100,000+ miles on each. There is a condition that can cause damage to the engine, corrosion no doubt, if the coolant goes bad.

Larry

The modern coolant chemistry resists corrosion and break down much better than in the past. Modern engine and radiator design specifying the best materials also greatly extends the life of coolant. I have to assume BMW does a good job of both!

One car says 7 years another says 5 years.

I believe 5v years is totally safe. evan longer is probably safe.

Now if you have added tap water or some cheap coolant...you have violated the integrity of the system...so a shorter time seems prudent.

But I know of some you feel better doing its sooner. Just like changing oil at 3 k miles.

As always if you feel better doing it sooner...change it. It is only $$$

What was the factory recommendation it on the old K-bkes? I can't remember. It seemed like a long time.

On the K1200RS Brick it was every two years.
I thought that was too often but I did it because it was easy and cheap to do.

The list the shop printed for me only shows checking the coolant level at 18,000 miles.
Did you use the vacuum method when you changed the coolant?

Lee,

Our R1200RS had a seep, weep, leak out of the water pump drain hole (that went away at about 5,000 miles).

Consequently I've kept an eye on the coolant level, adding about 25~50 cc's a couple of times over our first year of ownership.

Draining and refilling the coolant was an easy job. I had some BMW coolant left over from doing the K-GT and the K-RS, so why not.

Yes, I use an older Air Lift tool. l added an additional valve to it to make it a bit more user friendly like the later versions are.

Also, I recycle all my waste fluids, bottles, cans, paper...etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

I remember four years as a published interval from the brick days, but that disappeared from the service schedules around the time the K7x came out.

Back