• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'14 RT heat?

motodan

Anyone had a chance to ride their new '14 RT in "warm" weather yet? I know "warm" is a relative term this time of year (especially this year). I'm wondering what type of heat dissipation you may have experienced from the radiator/fan outlets, especially at moderate speed. Any too warm flow back on the legs? I only ask because I've had a K bike or two that can put out some heat...particularly when doing the interstate at 100 degree across Kansas. Just looks like these outlet locations have the potential to be noticeable.

Anyone had a chance to ride their new '14 RT in "warm" weather yet? I know "warm" is a relative term this time of year (especially this year). I'm wondering what type of heat dissipation you may have experienced from the radiator/fan outlets, especially at moderate speed. Any too warm flow back on the legs? I only ask because I've had a K bike or two that can put out some heat...particularly when doing the interstate at 100 degree across Kansas. Just looks like these outlet locations have the potential to be noticeable.

We'll know in a few months here. By July we should have some days that reach 100 teens. It'll be a good test for the WCRT.

Now that it is warm out, would anyone like to share their experiences in the heat? I'm wondering specifically how warm it is from the crotch down. Looking to drive back and forth to work everyday (Oklahoma, 20 miles, hwy and stop & go traffic), with mesh gear over my usual jeans and a polo, and am wondering if i'm going to burn up! Thanks!

Now that it is warm out, would anyone like to share their experiences in the heat? I'm wondering specifically how warm it is from the crotch down. Looking to drive back and forth to work everyday (Oklahoma, 20 miles, hwy and stop & go traffic), with mesh gear over my usual jeans and a polo, and am wondering if i'm going to burn up! Thanks!

I got 1500 miles on my '14 RT before the strut notice came out. A few days in upper 80's, but felt heat was well controlled. Stoplight pauses will have the fan come on, but air vents well forward of rider. Never was uncomfortable at stop or when underway.

I live in Tucson, AZ. It is 102 outside right now.

I rode my '14 over 2,000 miles before parking it.

The engine heat control on all my RT models from 1995 through 2014 has been excellent. It is not an FJR or ST or a Harley. BMW is clearly concerned about keeping engine heat from the rider and does a good job of it.

The '14 has a fan on the water radiator, which works well.

I managed to put over 6,000 miles on my 14 RT before the "Stop Ride" including a ride from Jacksonville west to Flagstaff and then a nice loop through Utah and Colorado. Quite a few of the miles through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona were in the mid to upper 90s and I didn't feel any heat from the engine. Also, the fan ran quite often in slow moving traffic and at stop lights. There is only a fan on the right side and the hot air blows out and around your legs. I never noticed it, only heard it. This bike is awesome and can't wait to be riding again.

Had some hot days here in Virginia before the no-ride edict came. No heat felt, though my wife felt a bit in back from the vent. This should be a plus factor in the colder months.

Interesting topic. I have 15,000 miles on my GS LC and the heat from the lower right side is killing me. As I rode home from Death Valley last week I was dreaming of getting an RT LC as soon as the fix is done. I will closely monitor all your comments to see if this is a solution of "jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire" so to speak!

Back