• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any suggestions on replacing/re-painting R1200RT side bag(s) ?

Sad to report, my "nightmare" has come true. Oh, it could have been worse but while fully-loaded (and my wife as passenger) i flat out dropped the bike. (Feel free to laugh as I'm still in shock and have lost all pride at this point (ha)). The good news is that neither one of us are the worse for wear but I did a "bang-up job" of scratching my left side bag.

Up 'til now, I've been under the impression that re-painting bags and matching the color correctly is pretty much out of the question. I'm on a 2006 model Red RT which BMW has yet (to my knowledge) to use/issue again since that model...so I'm trying to determine whether there is any chance of finding a salvage left bag. (Yes, the proverbial needle in a haystack.)

Any feedback on where to best search for such an item would be much appreciated. It won't be the end of my world if I can't "r&r" the bag but I would at least like to know what options I have, if any.

Best Regards,

Alan

A friend had a bag repainted on his charcoal (don't know what BMW called the color) hexhead RT after a small mishap. Can't tell. I think the cost was about $150. Check with a local body shop. I know red can be hard to match but you might be surprised.

Paint technology today is great and color matching is not an issue. PPG suppliers use a computer to match your color. BMW paint is available from Holt BMW. Repainting the bag is the less expensive path to follow. A replacement bag new is not cheap, and finding a used salvage, color correct bag will be difficult. I looked on Beemer Bone Yard and all of the bag lids show sold.

If the plastic is cracked, a repair kit from:
http://www.plastex.us/PLASTEX/plastex_kits.html
will do the trick.

best wishes

bob

Paint matching

Actually Colorite can match BMW Motorcycle paint perfectly. Check out this link:

http://www.colorrite.com/product/bmw-piedmont-red-2141.cfm

I used their "paint wizard" based on the description you gave of your bike.
It was a 2006 Red R1200RT right?

Prices on the paint are pretty reasonable too. Don't feel too bad about dumping your bike. I've trashed the left bag cover on my 2009 Titan Silver R1200RT as a result of dumping it twice. I got pissed with myself the first time, but I just decided hey I bought this to ride not to look at..........

You might be able to find a new lid for your bag at beemerboneyard.com if you're
very diligent about checking the site regularly. I've also seen them once in a while on E-Bay too. Good luck with your bike, at least it looks ridden! Don

Use a local source for paint unless it is known to be factory paint and then a place like Holt can help you . Local sources allows for color adjustments. If you are paying to get it done put color match as a priority and they can match just like they do everyday-if they are good.
As to dropping the bike, happens all the time.

Thanks folks...all your info really helped!

This forum is great...been a member of the club for years...only needed to post twice lately and everyone's been great... providing travel info and now paint/repair recommendations. Much appreciated!

Alan

A friend had a bag repainted on his charcoal (don't know what BMW called the color) hexhead RT after a small mishap. Can't tell. I think the cost was about $150. Check with a local body shop. I know red can be hard to match but you might be surprised.

+1 ! :thumb

Twice now (Don't ask!), I have taken my side cases to my local Chevrolet Body Shop, and they've done a really nice job matching the granite gray color of my R1200RT. I'd have confidence that red or any other shade is doable.

Give them a try! :german

A very good friend with PPG repainted my red side bag and it was a perfect match. I think the really important part is the prep for the paint. With the help of computers the color match can be done perfectly.

If you want a perfect match, send it to Holt BMW in Athens, OH. They are a Glasurit paint dealer (which is which BMW uses on it's bikes). Holt actually supplies paint to some other BMW dealers. They will match it perfectly, it won't be cheap, but you will never know it was painted.

Steve

I recently repainted the bags on my RT. BASF supplies paint to BMW, so they can match your color using your paint code. The cost of the paint from my BASF dealer was about half that of ColorRite.

Bill

Back