• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dealer pricing and the art of negotiating

h2onutz

I've purchased many cars through out my lifetime and my negotiating skills with car dealerships is pretty good, however, I've never purchased a new motorcycle from a dealer and wanted to get some input. My interest is in a 2018 BMW K1600B. I live in South Florida and have about half a dozen BMW motorcycle dealerships near me. When negotiating with car dealers I start from dealer cost and try to stay as close to it as possible. Motorcycle dealers are probably different. Auto dealers in my area can move 1,000 units a month and can make their money on dealer hold back money and service, however, motorcycle dealerships probably don't move a 1,000 units in year so their pricing structure is going to be different. Do motorcycle dealerships work on hold backs? Can you find dealer cost on motorcycles, and do dealerships sell at or near dealer costs? Is is common for motorcycle dealerships to add a dealer fee to the invoice? A quick check on Cycle Trader shows the price of this particular model for $25,000. Is that the actual selling price in most cases or will most dealerships negotiate a lower price OR will they add a dealer fee on top of it?
If anyone can shed some light on this subject it would be most appreciated.

I've purchased many cars through out my lifetime and my negotiating skills with car dealerships is pretty good, however, I've never purchased a new motorcycle from a dealer and wanted to get some input. My interest is in a 2018 BMW K1600B. I live in South Florida and have about half a dozen BMW motorcycle dealerships near me. When negotiating with car dealers I start from dealer cost and try to stay as close to it as possible. Motorcycle dealers are probably different. Auto dealers in my area can move 1,000 units a month and can make their money on dealer hold back money and service, however, motorcycle dealerships probably don't move a 1,000 units in year so their pricing structure is going to be different. Do motorcycle dealerships work on hold backs? Can you find dealer cost on motorcycles, and do dealerships sell at or near dealer costs? Is is common for motorcycle dealerships to add a dealer fee to the invoice? A quick check on Cycle Trader shows the price of this particular model for $25,000. Is that the actual selling price in most cases or will most dealerships negotiate a lower price OR will they add a dealer fee on top of it?

I heard that each dealer got or will get one Bagger, and then more can be ordered. Given that, I would be surprised to see much deal making except at the rare dealership that can't even sell one. This may change over time but that is an unknown right now.

My experience has been not a lot of wiggle room on the bike, but maybe a lot on accessories to go with it.

From Miami but never bought a bike there. I've bought 15 new BMW's since 2001 and have gotten at least $1.2k off list on all but the first one. I never went back to that dealer.

Seems reasonable

IMHO - $1.2 to 1.5 off of retail seems reasonable given the situation - kinda rare bike, new (maybe desirable) model - if you can get it. May have to 'bundle' accessories?

At the end of the day, we need these dealerships to stay in business - not everything can be purchased on-line. Monitor the 'vibe' of the staff and determine if it's someplace you want to spend a social Saturday morning at drinking coffee.

Good luck with your purchase.

Deals

I read thru your post. I know someone in a similar situation looking for a specific bike. he did the following. you say you have several (6) dealerships around you. He emailed all the dealerships together, said he was looking for specific bike x and was buying this week or whatever timeline you have. he asked for out the door prices and he waited for replies.
He got the best deal he could and let the other dealers try to sell a unit, if they had one.
my 2 cents. good luck.

Try contacting BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas. They seem to have some of the best prices. That'll give you an idea of a bottom line price, and then see how close your local dealer can get to that. I'd also be sure to add in your discussion with the local dealer that you'll be getting your servicing done there too. What they might not make on the sale for profit, will be made up in the servicing later.

Chris

One could always find a dealership where you feel confident in their service department and where you can count on being regarded as a valued client. Saving a thousand bucks means nothing if the dealer is crap.

If you find the service department isn't good, then you go elsewhere. Simple. But reminding them that there is profit still to be made after the sale is just good negotiating.

The OP has never bought a new motorcycle from a dealership. Since he doesn't mention what kind of motorcycle he currently rides, there's a good chance he has no idea of what the service department is like in any of the local BMW dealerships. Therefore paying $1000 more on the assumption the service department is better than the service department at the place willing to sell for less money, is not a logical assumption.

Chris

Wouldn't count on any type of discount on bagger, very limited production model
If you were purchasing a standard 1600 $1000-1500 discount may be in order
I would ask for the 600 mile and 6000 mile service to be included and a healthy discount on any accessories I purchase from dealer within a certain time period, never hurts to ask
FYI: try getting a discount on a new Raptor truck!!!

...Therefore paying $1000 more on the assumption the service department is better than the service department at the place willing to sell for less money, is not a logical assumption.

Chris

That's not what I said, Chris. What I said was, "Saving a thousand bucks means nothing if the dealer is crap". And a dealership is much more than a sales and service department.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. We're in the process of moving now so the new motorcycle will have a wait until the first of the year. I'll post what I was able to negotiate from the dealer. :dance

The best answer is to contact members of the local BMW club to get their feel for nearby dealerships.

Way more important than a few dollars saved on the bike purchase is your ongoing relationship with the dealer in terms of follow-on service and in purchasing parts and riding gear. Believe me, you cannot survive owning a modern BMW--motorcycle or car--without dealer service support. Know also that the best service department there is will still favor those that bought the bike from them.

Just assume life is a self-fulfilling prophecy (rather than a war) and that if you expect the worst, you'll get the worst, and if you expect the best you'll get the best. Expect to pay for the best.

And, in the case of BMWs, it's probably best to avoid multi-line motorcycle dealers ... although again consult the locals.

The best answer is to contact members of the local BMW club to get their feel for nearby dealerships.

Way more important than a few dollars saved on the bike purchase is your ongoing relationship with the dealer in terms of follow-on service and in purchasing parts and riding gear. Believe me, you cannot survive owning a modern BMW--motorcycle or car--without dealer service support. Know also that the best service department there is will still favor those that bought the bike from them.

Just assume life is a self-fulfilling prophecy (rather than a war) and that if you expect the worst, you'll get the worst, and if you expect the best you'll get the best. Expect to pay for the best.

And, in the case of BMWs, it's probably best to avoid multi-line motorcycle dealers ... although again consult the locals.

Wow, to me that seems like a particularly thoughtful response, and one tailored to BMW motorcycle ownership.

I recently bought a '17 GS and never considered purchasing from any dealership other than "my dealership". However, rather than me asking them for their best price, I offered them the opportunity to sell me a bike, that day, at my price (which was low). This happened to succeed, but they did understand that I was truly willing and able to buy that day - and was not just talking. Otherwise the money would have stayed in my pocket, I guess.

So yes, for BMW's, work hard to find a good dealership and then let them be the ones who sell you the bike, at your price. IMO, YMMV.

Wow...I guess I've missed out on the true BMW buying experience. I bought my BMW used, or some would say "pre-loved". $aved thou$and$. The seller didn't have a service department at his home, so I couldn't inspect it or ask opinions. I merely took my new-to-me BMW to the local dealership to get some tires put on. They treated me pretty decently I thought, even though I bought my BMW from somewhere else. They willingly give me a military discount on parts as well.

I suspect they'd act this way, even if I brought in a Yamaha or Kawasaki or any of the other brands they sell and service.

Chris

Wow, to me that seems like a particularly thoughtful response, and one tailored to BMW motorcycle ownership.

I recently bought a '17 GS and never considered purchasing from any dealership other than "my dealership". However, rather than me asking them for their best price, I offered them the opportunity to sell me a bike, that day, at my price (which was low). This happened to succeed, but they did understand that I was truly willing and able to buy that day - and was not just talking. Otherwise the money would have stayed in my pocket, I guess.

So yes, for BMW's, work hard to find a good dealership and then let them be the ones who sell you the bike, at your price. IMO, YMMV.

How did you determine what "your price" was going to be? The purpose of my post is not to beat the dealer to death over a few hundred dollars, but, to try to determine what a "fair price" would be. I've seen ad's on Cycle Trader for the model of the motorcycle, but, was informed that many dealers add a dealer fee to the full list price of the motorcycle. I don't want to walk out of the dealership paying full list plus a dealer fee of somewhere between $500 to $1000.

I just bought my 2017.5 GS with both a dealer discount and current BMW owner discount which ended in July I believe.
Total discount off retail was over $2200. Might be something to think about. Wait til next year...

Incidentally one of the local dealers had a Bagger on the floor when I went in to have my 600 mile service.
The dealership made the decision not to sell it (for now), until shoppers had a chance to check it out...

Also, posted prices on CL and CycleTrader often don't include dealer prep and other fees.

I'm looking to purchase a 2017 R1200RT from a dealership that has four in stock. Any thoughts on what would constitute a very good price and does anybody know if there will be any significant manufacturer financing and/or rebates on the 2017s? Thanks....

Buying strategy

I have done business with Hermys in Port Clinton PA. for 45 years. There's a reason for that: I am always well and fairly treated AND I can always count on the quality of their service. I also get a loaner when I need to leave the bike overnight. While none of us wants to pay more than we have to, I can tell you from knowing something of the car business that the customer who tries to beat them out of the last penny is remembered (not a good thing). Ask yourself this question: You are a BMW Dealer; 2 customers need a starter. You have one in stock. Who do you think will get the starter and who will have to wait? It's a no-brainer. If my bike is broken down, I can count on my dealer to come and get it (90 miles away) and bring a loaner. I am loyal to them and they are loyal to me. FWIW

Back