• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT or GS

I ride a 01 GS and my friends that I ride with most weekends ride a 96RT,a o2K1200RS, and a 07 1200LT. They are all great bikes and have their advantages, like most bikes.
I am 57,6'3,240lbs with bad knees and out of all 4 of the bikes mentioned above,my GS is the only one that I can ride for an extended period of time, and 400 miles a day is no problem.The RT's are beautiful bikes and if I was smaller frame and stature as you are, I would also own an RT.
The GS has a tendency to be a little top heavy,especially when loaded for a trip,but it will handle any road you put in front of it as well as any other bike on the road.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ease of service and repair of the GS,especially out on the road because of the lack of plastic that needs to removed to do any kind of repair.When we wrench on our bikes,as we often do together, I remind my riding buddies how much easier the GS is than their bikes,RT included.
That aside,I agree that the best thing for you to do is try out both bikes and buy the one that feels the most comfortable for you.
Sorry for the lengthy reply and the repetitious comments, but thats my 2 cents worth.

I have both an RT and a GS

There is a BIG difference in the wind/weather coverage on the RT vs the GS. For really long days, the RT winds hands down. It just is so much nicer to sit behind that fairing.

On those really hot days, or for two lane roads that are less than perfect, i much prefer the GS. I don't have to worry about frost heaves, cracks, or small holes in the pavement. And i LOOK for dirt roads!

Now i will say that as i get older (leg length is a very big issue for me too, with a 29" inseam); i have seriously been considering selling my '04 R1150RT and buying an R1200R. I'm a big fan of the Roadsters, having ridden both the R110R and the R1150R. At least with the R1200R they got rid of the smaller left side bag. IMHO, the lighter Roadster will do just about anything that the GS or RT will do, with much less weight.

The final point that no-one has mentioned. Is that the plastic on the RT adds to the time to work on the bike, or costs of service.

At the end of the day, go with the one that "floats your boat". YOu will probably know after you ride each of them.

S

I ride a R1100GS that I have considered selling. The PO had it setup with after-market suspension that is 1" OVER-stock. Consequently, at a dead stop, I am on tiptoes (even with a 32" inseam). It is very top heavy, and I have dropped it twice.

However, when moving, the bike is perfect. I guess the style and comfort of the GS suits my vision of touring and comfort.

I was at the new BMW store in Jacksonville this week, and they had a new 2013 R1200GS with Wilber shocks lowered 3". Yep, that 3-inches, and it was perfect for me. I was able to sit while flatfooted on the floor. Since I rarely go off-road, the lowered bike is feasible. It feels right. If I keep the R1100GS, I may consider lowering it in the same manner.

For commuting at highway speed, or extended (anything more than a weeken), an RT. For playing or mixed terrain, GS. But that's just one opinion. I don't wear head to toe wind protection/armor/ special boots every day with an RT. With a more open bike like a ducati or a GS, you kind of need to. Sometimes an RT feels a bit like you're riding "in" it. Less so with a GS. In warm/cool/wet weather, the RT is a joy. In extremely hot weather, the RT is an oven, at least at low speeds.

I've toyed with this decision many times. Right now I have an 07 GS and a 2010 GSA with a Hannigan sidecar. Now and then I think of trading the GS on an RT. Even resolve to ride down to the dealer four hours away with title and checkbook in hand, make the trade, and come home on a nice R12RT. The problem is that all my long trips are done on the GSA with Barley in the hack. The GS is nicely farkled for our many dirt roads up here in Vermont. And truth be told, being able to fly down dirt roads on my way to and from work makes me happy in a way riding on pavement just can't match. Given a choice between dirt and pavement I almost invariably go with the dirt.

But if I ever manage to talk my wife into a third bike, it would be an RT.

Pete

And truth be told, being able to fly down dirt roads on my way to and from work makes me happy in a way riding on pavement just can't match. Given a choice between dirt and pavement I almost invariably go with the dirt.

I'd take just about any bike down a dirt road, and my wife if only vaguely aware of motorcycles in the driveway.

I'd take just about any bike down a dirt road, and my wife if only vaguely aware of motorcycles in the driveway.

I had a Tiger 1050 before turning to the GS, and in the conditions I face at certain times of the year, well, let's just say there was a time or two I needed to pick the bike up with my tractor and carry it the last half mile home due to mud as deep as my pegs. The GS with knobbies gets me home and has extended my riding season by a couple of months.

I had a Tiger 1050 before turning to the GS, and in the conditions I face at certain times of the year, well, let's just say there was a time or two I needed to pick the bike up with my tractor and carry it the last half mile home due to mud as deep as my pegs. The GS with knobbies gets me home and has extended my riding season by a couple of months.

Knobbies do fit on an RT, but I hear you. I've ridden PLENTY of VT dirt roads, in fact I always set the GPS for shortest route and HOPE for them. I really should live there, but the Maine coast north of Belfast has my attention too, and is first choice.

Lily and Cody the Golden Retrievers send regards to your three.

Knobbies do fit on an RT, but I hear you. I've ridden PLENTY of VT dirt roads, in fact I always set the GPS for shortest route and HOPE for them. I really should live there, but the Maine coast north of Belfast has my attention too, and is first choice.

Lily and Cody the Golden Retrievers send regards to your three.

The problem is partly traction, but also mud buildup under the fenders. I swear sometimes in mud season the bike gains 50# in that last quarter mile!

Belly rubs to Lily and Cody from my four: Barley, Rusty, Tullamore and Kazoo.
a637235e.jpg

I also don't like tip toeing a heavy beast like the GS...

I had to chuckle when I first read this line in brewmeister's post.

My RT is a RTP, which includes a 2nd battery in the RT's "glove box" and has chrome crash bars on all four corners. My GSA is a thousand times easier to maneuver around in parking lots, the garage, etc. for two simple reasons:

1. My GSA is lighter than my RTP, and

2. The GSA has a much tighter turning radius than does my RTP.

My GSA's front wheel has a much larger range of movement than does my RTP's front wheel. Where the GSA might require a two or three point turn to turn around in a tight space, the RTP would require a five or six point turn.

I don't know if BMW has changed the range of motion of the front fork on RTs in the past 10 years, but I find the GSA much easier to move around at slow speed than the RTP.

Then there's also the "pucker factor"...

I'm far more paranoid and careful when doing slow-speed maneuvers or walking the RTP around than I am when I'm on or walking the GSA around at slow speeds. I know that a tip-over on the GSA won't do much damage, but that even with crash bars, the RTP is subject to thousands of dollars in damage from a simple gas station or garage tip-over.

We're supposed to get a soaking rainstorm this afternoon here in Seattle, and I rode the GSA to work instead of the RTP. I should have a "GSA weather protection" update by the end of the day. :brad

I hope I'm doing this correctly buy using the "reply to thread". Ergonomincs are important. I'm 66, 67 when I plan this trip, 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I want something comfortable. I was thinking the more uprite sitting on the gs would be better.

I've got an'04 1150 GS and have not ridden an RT yet; therefore, my response may or my not be of much help. I'm 63 with a 32" inseam and have ridden my GS 50,000 miles mostly on long cross country trips; best was 9,000 mile trip to Seattle and back home to Tennessee.
I love my GS; best motorcycle I've owned-had 7 since 17. It is pretty heavy, 560 lbs (1200 is 50 lbs lighter), and tall (1200 is a tad lower). Because of the weight and height I've dropped it at least a dozen times, virtually all at or near a standstill. Other than twice breaking a turn signal lens (always left side) it doesn't get hurt as I have cylinder protection bars and always ride with system cases attached. On level surfaces picking it up is never a problem, but once I dropped it in heavy gravel on a steep hill and it was a real chore to right it.
It is a very comfortable bike for really long rides. On my 10 day trip to Seattle I averaged ~500 miles/day, longest was 630 miles. After reaching Santa Fe all of the roads were beautiful back country roads. It rides well on interstate highways, back roads and gravel or dirt roads, and corners better than any bike I've ever ridden. I use a Throttlemeister throttle lock, aftermarket handle bars, which moves position up and back, and a BackUp backrest to make life easier. The original windscreen sucks above 50 mph!!!! I went through several iterations before finding an acceptable solution--I use the GS Adventure screen with Torbinators. I've never replaced the seat as I've always found the stock seat to be adequately comfortable. My friends have told me I've obviously got a "BMW butt". Although I try to avoid riding after dusk (too many deer) I found night time illumination to be inadequate and added PIAA driving lights.
I do my own maintenance and repairs and have found the GS to be as easy to work on as my former BMWs (R90/6 and R80/7) with the exception of changing tires alone (is royal PITA due to rim depth).

Dave

The height might be the decision maker, but you need to check it out. Seems Orlando's Craigslist got several bikes you could try.
2008 1200GS http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3323429209.html
2003 1150RS http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3319143105.html
1997 1100RT http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3276528291.html
I'm riding a 2004 R1150RT with the standard seat in the highest position (32" inseam). Just rode it last weekend together with my wife through the Texas Hill Country around Kerrville. We did 512 miles in one day and enjoyed every mile. On the interstate or twisty roads the bike is awesome. Now off-road is a different animal. Depending on where you want to drive, who your driving buddies are (street or off-road bikes), and how much luggage you want to carry will influence your decision. Living in Florida I guess you don't have to face snow or ice cold wind and therefore a full fairing might not be on the top of your accessory list.

Rt vs GS

I just traded my r1150 for a R1200Rt. The R1150 was great for all kind of riding. THe Rt was hard to get used to in gravel, My drive way is 400 yards down a dirt mud sloping hill. After one month I am used to the RT in all kinds of gravel and dirt, BUT it sucks in deeep mud. The protection is fantastic. It is lowered 1.5" my inseam is only 30" on a good day. I tend to stand in bad gravel and a few low water crossings. I couldn't be happier. BTW I have always been scared of dirt bikes, this one is a great all round bike. Go to a dealer for a long ride on each, that will make up your mind.
Russel seat makes it great to ride all day.

A friend of mine, a retired highway patrolman who rode the 1200RTP at work, had this to say when I asked him about the RT vs. GS:

"A GS will do everything an RT will do. An RT won't do everything a GS will do." He was referring to the better off-highway capabilities of the GS, while the GS can go anywhere an RT will go, and keep up quite nicely.

I have a 1200GS that I have put about 16000 miles on, including a few 1000+ mile days. While I have been lusting after the RT, every time I get back from riding my GS, I think "What a great bike!"

I'm 5'9," 175lbs., with a 29-30" inseam. I replaced my BMW low seat with a Sargent low seat, which is a little taller, and much more comfortable.

I did a test-sit on a lowered GS, and if I were trading in I'd go low - it feels steadier at rest. I too have dropped my standard GS a few times when I think and extra inch of leg would have made a difference in staying upright. If I ever get an RT, the FIRST farkle will be engine guards up front and Wunderlich tip-over bars in back (or buy an RTP with its standard protection).

One other consideration is the shape of the bags. The RT bags are streamlined, while the GS bags, both BMW and aftermarket, are generally "square," making them easier to pack things like a large laptop.

There was a write-up in Motorcycle Consumer News in 2010 that is interesting. It was a sport-tourer evaluation of the Honda VFR 1200F, the Kasasiki Concours 14, and the Yamaha FJR. A 1200GS was drafted to haul the camera gear. When the test was done, the evaluators all liked the GS better than the dedicated sport-tourers.

As others have said, definitely test-sit both, including the low models. Ride if you can. Good luck with your decision.

Tim

Last edited:
I have an '08 GS, and my brother has an '06 RT, and we have made several long trips together. His bike is heavier, faster, has more fuel capacity, gets better gas mileage, has more load bearing capacity, and more protection from the elements. It is also quite sensitive to off road terrain. He replaced the seat with an aftermarket version shortly after buying it.

My GS is a good deal lighter and easier to handle. Handles moderate off road conditions, ie, dirt and gravel, rock roads with ease. I have an aftermarket seat, windshield and PIAA lights. The way it is set up, it is a very comfortable touring bike. The bike is geared low and suffers poor mileage at touring speeds. I wish it had a bigger gas tank. Heavily loaded at 80+ speeds I get aroung 32 mpg. No load on 60 mph two laners it jumps up to 42-45 mpg. I completely ran out of gas on a desolate highway in Montana after 161 miles, running 85-90 mph.

They are both fine bikes. I am 66 yrs old, and the GS suits me. It is lighter and easy to handle, like riding a bike. If I was younger, I would probably go with the RT, unless I planned to do significant off road traveling.

Back