• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"But I did not cause it"

That is truly almost unbelievable. What sane person pulls in the way of any other vehicle, especially a !motorcycle, to slow them down?

The rider lost part of his leg. I hope she is found guilty.

Watched that brief video twice. Have to say that motorcyclist seemed to be moving pretty fast for the road and did not exhibit any "situational awareness." He paid a high price. Not sure if the woman in the car should.

Very unfortunate situation for both parties. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, I have very strong, mixed emotions about the incident as Im sure many of you do. I do not see her point that she was jsutified in "slowing him down" under this circumstance. I've been on the Baltimore beltway 4 trafic lanes wide and had a motorcycle gang line up in front of each lane effectively blocking traffic while their buddies were out in front of the barricade doing wheelies, stoppies and all forms of stunts. Hundreds of vehicals slowed to a crawl, there could have been EMS vehicles, police and such behind us trying to respond to an emergency, would any of us been justified in running those people down? I dont believe so, I was so mad that I saw red, absolutely the most childish incident I had witnessed and as a motorcycist I was even more horrified as I saw it as a personal reflection on me. So to see a situation like this on a back country road is confounding to say the least. I hope the fellow heals well and is able to ride again.

But for her specific and considered actions, the accident would not have occurred. In this country, that's guilty.

I fail to understand someone(other than the "expert/aka a paid liar" for the $$$) saying it was his fault when she says she "did it to slow him down"? Isn't that admitting fault for the accident, even in a somewhat roundabout way? She wouldn't want me on the jury. I see it as a she caused it but meant him no ill harm (in her simple minded way of thinking?) & now wants to avoid paying the $$$ to make him "sort of whole again". Is she on the road now? No doubt she is...
I get it that she wanted a solution to the guy speeding in that location-her choice of methods is beyond logic.

Watched that brief video twice. Have to say that motorcyclist seemed to be moving pretty fast for the road and did not exhibit any "situational awareness." He paid a high price. Not sure if the woman in the car should.

I do not know what liability looks like in Canada, but if I were on a criminal or civil jury I would vote guilty. You just don't get to take the law into your own hands and then expect to say he should have been going slower.

My dad used to say that the only accident I could be in that I couldn't prevent was something falling on me. In this case, either individual could have easily prevented the accident with just reasonable vigilance. As a MC rider, I feel I have more to lose than someone in a car (in a collision between the two). In my opinion, the responsibility for my safety and well being stands with me. Again, in my opinion, the car driver is clearly guilty of contributory negligence in this accident. That is not going to get the biker his leg back.

To me, it looks like the driver "caused" the accident.
Also looks like the rider chose not to avoid it.

Both lose.

I do not know what liability looks like in Canada, but if I were on a criminal or civil jury I would vote guilty. You just don't get to take the law into your own hands and then expect to say he should have been going slower.

She's innocent in Canada. He hit her from behind. He would be charged with at the least, Imprudent Driving or Dangerous Driving, a Criminal Code Offense.

She has the right to do whatever speed she wants unless otherwise posted and she could argue, successfully, that she was doing what she did to protect herself.

No liability on her part, him, hooped.

Having had people try to deliberately run me off the road when I was making a safe pass, I hope they throw her butt in Jail, and looses her license for 5 years, minimum, and the story goes nationwide. Sorry but her narcissistic and sociopath behavior has NO place on a public highway.

It wasn't an accident, it was vehicular assault. Throw the book at her, put her in jail, and get the best personal injury lawyer to sue her for more than she is worth.

Harry

It wasn't an accident, it was vehicular assault. Throw the book at her, put her in jail, and get the best personal injury lawyer to sue her for more than she is worth.

Harry

Two words in the province I live in, "No Fault".

If you could prove, with your own money that she was the cause of the accident, our public insurance would pay a per Diem based on his expected ability to earn an income, healthy. Then deduct the costs of his long term care and provide a subsistence income.

No lawyer will touch on contingency, there isn't any money in it. It won't ever see a judge, end of story there, so all a lawyer can do is fight through the red tape to get to a public(government) appointed arbitrator. Our insurance company is a Crown Corporation, aka, the government owns it.

Even if there were charges, a conviction many years later, she is entirely covered by two words, "No Fault".

Still remains, he hit her from behind, his fault because he didn't take action to avoid it.

Honestly, at the speed he was going he was riding very recklessly. I would have a hard time purely blaming her for the incident as there was hardly sufficient time for anyone to react to a motorcycle approaching from behind doing what looked like more than double her speed. Her reaction was a poor one, but it was still the bike making a reckless pass. If she had needed to make a hard stop for a deer or something, he would have still either gone flying into her car and/or off the road. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

But she did have time to react and according to her statements chose to move into the other side of the road. Her actions were indefensible, her lack of remorse and failure to take responsibility are despicable.

If she purposely moved to block him, I could see there being charges against her, however I don't see how it could be more than negligence at most. Still I find it very hard to completely blame her when he was riding so recklessly. The video looked like something I've seen several times before in my own riding experience, however every time was simply due to standard driver incompetence.

I hope that bitch from hell gets convicted on a felony charge and gets put away for as long as possible.
And the local news station does a follow up story.
There is no excuse for that irrational insane behavior, none whatsoever.
I hope she burns at the stake, I do. What a witch.

Back