• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

09 RA rally?

I'm going to try like heck to do 'em both, but it's not looking good right now. I've got the MOA in pen on the calendar, but the RA will have to go on in pencil. Would love to do the MOA >>> BRP >>> RA.

I'm going to try like heck to do 'em both, but it's not looking good right now. I've got the MOA in pen on the calendar, but the RA will have to go on in pencil. Would love to do the MOA >>> BRP >>> RA.

Yeah, that would be a good ride. take your time to explore some of the side roads that cross the BRP like 220 near Little Switzerland and others, lots of nice falls as well thou many are a good hike off the roadway. 3 days will allow for plenty of time to explore and I've found that going north bound there is generally less traffic, I think because there are more large cities on the northern end so most folks do it south bound then head home on the slab and even in summer weekdays are less crowded along it. Even thou its 45 MPH limit I usually find you can maintain 65, just watch out for park patrols (and critters!). there are some nice camping spots as well, and even 2 MC only campgrounds just off it a few miles.

here's a very good site for info on it, with servcies, history of the building of it and points of interest, including a 4 section detailed map that print out nicely http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

RM

I'm a bit... disappointed in this choice.

First, this pretty much guarantees that I can't attend because getting vacation through a two-ish week period is likely out of the question, plus I have other trips I'd like to take around that time. Aside from having the rallys spaced out a bit time-wise, I liked having different locations to choose from - that gives more riding opportunities.

I know not everyone will agree with me, and I HAVE read the post explaining why they chose these dates. I guess we'll see if people stick around from the MOA to attend the RA rally or not. Hopefully it will be a good turnout for them, as I had fun with the RA at the Biltmore rally.

No matter what they do schedule wise there become winners and losers. Voni just last week commented to me we ought to plan to visit my sister next summer. The RA rally makes it perfect. MOA in Tennessee - leave Sunday for Leesburg, VA. Spend three days visiting my sister, then the whole 150 or so miles over to the RA Rally.

Then upwards and onwards to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland (or so Voni has informed me :) )

And there is the problem: only Charleston had shuttle buses. If all rallies had them, everyone would be happy and served (with beer!).

Canaan Valley Resort will be providing shuttle buses during the RA rally. I'm not sure exactly how far they will go away from the park, but I'll find out.

Biltmore had them also. It really made sense there, but I get the feeling there weren't enough.

Canaan Valley Resort will be providing shuttle buses during the RA rally. I'm not sure exactly how far they will go away from the park, but I'll find out.

Biltmore had them also. It really made sense there, but I get the feeling there weren't enough.

Awesome! I hope to make both the MOA and RA rallies, but we will see.

Why, thank you Don.
Details to be posted on RA Rally page, I assume. The process for rooms at MTU last year was very well organized, BTW.

Being pretty familiar with the area nearby lodging is petty sparse in them thar parts, just a quick search on google maps only shows 5 motels inns or resorts besides Cannan valley itself so I'd book early if you're not camping.

RM

FWIW there are some vacation homes that could be rented there at Timberline. I'd think it would be off season too.

Being pretty familiar with the area nearby lodging is petty sparse in them thar parts, just a quick search on google maps only shows 5 motels inns or resorts besides Cannan valley itself so I'd book early if you're not camping.

RM
FWIW: The park itself probably has 250 motel rooms available. Since I think they're all doubles that solves part of the problem. They also have cabins available. There are several time-share places in the area and ski resorts not too far away.

http://www.canaanresort.com/lodging/

http://www.t4sr.com/ - Timberline and http://www.t4sr.com/rentals/RateCard.asp

General maps of all sorts of rentals in the valley: http://www.damaps.net/t4/maps/canaan

:thumb

I was just about to press on with another event that same weekend, guess I'll hold them off until 2010.

RA has been tough, because of the constant change in date, often they conflict with another event of mine.

I'm there for RA in '09 though. :)

Bachorz228s.jpg

You host a great party. I'll be there with you. Save me a spot under the canopy.
  • Coffee every morning
  • Mint on the pillow
  • Clean Towel Every Morning
  • Chair
  • BIG air mattress
  • DC recharging station
  • 110 recharging station
  • Ice
  • SHADE
Home away from home!

Bachorz228s.jpg

You host a great party. I'll be there with you. Save me a spot under the canopy.
  • Coffee every morning
  • Mint on the pillow
  • Clean Towel Every Morning
  • Chair
  • BIG air mattress
  • DC recharging station
  • 110 recharging station
  • Ice
  • SHADE
Home away from home!

Aw, shucks. Thanks for the plug :)

Didn't know you took that picture, that's from WY. Windy times, in the end, four canopy struts broke, and that's saying a lot. One of these canopies survived the Lima storm.

Also lost 4 trailer tires on that whole trip. My fault, semi-long story. I'll tell ya under the awning next summer.

Funny how diesel prices are almost half of what they were last July now...

Tip-Hat_an.gif

Maybe the RA and MOA could work something out whereby they would have opposite features each year ie: city vs country Warm vs cold weather East vs west north vs south.

Hopefully this way we pain in the neck BMW riders would be able to choose our favorite aspects and not whine about these things for a year.

That's a good idea but better still might be a combined rally. The car clubs settled their differences and the sum is stronger than the parts. Just a thought from one who sees no defensible justification at this point in time for two U S based BMW motorcycle clubs.

That's a good idea but better still might be a combined rally. The car clubs settled their differences and the sum is stronger than the parts. Just a thought from one who sees no defensible justification at this point in time for two U S based BMW motorcycle clubs.

Would you volunteer to be the rally chair? Combining the rallies would put attendance around 12,000. It is hard enough to find a big enough site now! I think most people prefer 2 separate rallies...

Tell that to the rabid anti-MOA BMWRA members I camped next to at the Biltmore rally. They kept going on and on about how the RA was formed first, and the MOA copied this, and blahblahblah. I'm glad I was out riding or touring the Biltmore house most of the time. I'm sure they are a minority in the RA, but there are still groups in both clubs that don't want to see a combined rally or anything else combined between the clubs. Hopefully we will work towards a better relationship in the future. Things like the Peaks of America tour are a good example of working together.

I don't want a combined Rally. The size of each club makes each rally a different experience. The MOA rallies are limited in location and the lead time is long due to the size of the rally. The RA rally has a much better opportunity to find good locations because it is smaller and the lead time is much shorter.

Besides, two opportunities to go to a rally beats one any time. I would be more in support of splitting the MOA rally into two separate rallies so more people would have an opportunity to be close enough to make a rally and there would be more locations available. I realize this won't happen because you would have to have another set of volunteers to handle a second rally and vendors would not like it and might not come the a smaller rally.

Back