• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rain Gear

I of course have a rain suit,...and have been known to wear it. ..........

But I confess to heading for Motel 6 ASAP when any real rain comes up.

.................and here I thought I wuz bein' a big'ole wuss....:nyah

I of course have a rain suit,...and have been known to wear it. ..........

But I confess to heading for Motel 6 ASAP when any real rain comes up.

.................and here I thought I wuz bein' a big'ole wuss....:nyah

For about 20 years we went to rallies in the summer. Not just the MOA rally but lots of rallies. Often 14 or 15 weekend rallies in a summer. The routine was to take off early from work on Friday, ride to the rally and arrive late. Saturday we might ride or mght sit around. Sunday we would ride home. The limits kept expanding. Shakamak at 500 miles seemed a long ways until we started going to Sipapu at about 650 miles and Top O'Rockies at just over 800 miles. For Top O'Rockies I'd take all of Friday off. The same thing for Rubber City or the Chicken rally

We went to the rallies rain or shine. In maybe 250 rallies I can remember bailing once, but then we went on to the rally Saturday morning.

When riding in cold rain at night stopped being fun, we stopped doing it.

Somehow stuffing glowing logs under Airhead oil pans to warm the oil so they would start Sunday morning at Falling Leaf lost its appeal for adventure somewhere along the way too.

For about 20 years we went to rallies in the summer. Not just the MOA rally but lots of rallies. Often 14 or 15 weekend rallies in a summer. The routine was to take off early from work on Friday, ride to the rally and arrive late. Saturday we might ride or mght sit around. Sunday we would ride home. The limits kept expanding. Shakamak at 500 miles seemed a long ways until we started going to Sipapu at about 650 miles and Top O'Rockies at just over 800 miles. For Top O'Rockies I'd take all of Friday off. The same thing for Rubber City or the Chicken rally

We went to the rallies rain or shine. In maybe 250 rallies I can remember bailing once, but then we went on to the rally Saturday morning.

When riding in cold rain at night stopped being fun, we stopped doing it.

Somehow stuffing glowing logs under Airhead oil pans to warm the oil so they would start Sunday morning at Falling Leaf lost its appeal for adventure somewhere along the way too.

Yes indeed...I did riding and many other things differently when I was younger.

And as you say....many things seemed like more fun.

700mile days were normal doing one night stop trips to Florida...300 the next day, and I'd be at my Dad's. Reverse it coming home.......not any more. 1000 mile trip now is 3 days...

I've had good luck just using Wal Mart rain gear by going a few sizes too big to fit over my usual bike gear.

Not sure what your idea of costly is- compared to BMW brand rider wear, it can only get better, I suppose.

I did some research and finally bought a Triumph motorcycle one-piece rain suit. I figured I was going to England in summer 08, and KNEW I'd need it. Used it several times since, and love it. They are a little difficult to get dialed in (LOTS of Velcro & laying over of flaps) but it REALLY works well. There is some amount of retro-reflective material on, so you shine out in night or dim light riding conditions, wheels have their headlights on.

Since this is all I've ever had, I don't have a comparison basis- unless you compare jeans and a leather jacket.

About 100.00. I found it to be about the middle of the pricing range, for moto- specific rain wear. I think now that Triumph also makes them in two piece configurations?

Another choice

You might want to look at Cycleport's (Motoport?) rain gear. It has some type of breathable fabric barrier but is seriously rainproof. (At least mine is).

Price is medium to medium to high. I think the jacket is $150.00 and the pants are about $99.00

Back