• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Pump Bypass Cable

sunfire

I've read about water getting into the fuel pump , disabling it. I did a search but couldn't find an answer: does this also apply to an '09 GS, or just to pre '07? Should I even consider this?

I usually tour alone, and I wouldn't want to be stranded because of something like this. Thanks,

Paul

Not the fuel pump, but the fuel pump controller. It can happen to any bike where the O ring seal failed or wasn't seated right. Here's what the recall notice said

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006 THROUGH 2008 R1200 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN AUGUST 2006 AND JANUARY 2008. THE SEALING OF THE FUEL PUMP CONTROL UNIT HOUSING MIGHT BE INSUFFICIENT AND WATER COULD INTRUDE INTO THE CONTROL UNIT HOUSING CREATING A HUMID ATMOSPHERE. UNDER SUCH CONDITIONS, THE FUEL PUMP COULD CORRODE AND THEN FAIL.

Yeah, it said fuel pump, too. Not true. The pump is inside the tank and is not effected. Well, it will stop getting power if the controller fails. :deal

You could dummy up a bypass cable in the field if this should happen to you. All you need is to cut the controller to fuel-pump connector off the failed controller and jury rig it (with some wire, you do carry wire, don't you) to the connector that goes from the wiring harness to the fuel pump controller. At least that is my plan should the controller ever fail on my '05.

Not the fuel pump, but the fuel pump controller. It can happen to any bike where the O ring seal failed or wasn't seated right. Here's what the recall notice said

BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006 THROUGH 2008 R1200 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN AUGUST 2006 AND JANUARY 2008. THE SEALING OF THE FUEL PUMP CONTROL UNIT HOUSING MIGHT BE INSUFFICIENT AND WATER COULD INTRUDE INTO THE CONTROL UNIT HOUSING CREATING A HUMID ATMOSPHERE. UNDER SUCH CONDITIONS, THE FUEL PUMP COULD CORRODE AND THEN FAIL.

Yeah, it said fuel pump, too. Not true. The pump is inside the tank and is not effected. Well, it will stop getting power if the controller fails. :deal

You could dummy up a bypass cable in the field if this should happen to you. All you need is to cut the controller to fuel-pump connector off the failed controller and jury rig it (with some wire, you do carry wire, don't you) to the connector that goes from the wiring harness to the fuel pump controller. At least that is my plan should the controller ever fail on my '05.

All above very good information...

I went through the FPC breakdown issue last spring down in Texas' *No Mans Land*.

Actually 2 different problems can occur....
#1 Water engress to FPC and
#2 mechanical/burnout failure of FPC.
The older styled *silver colored* FPC was burning out, and not from water engress. The new replacement part is this newer style *Black painted* FPC.

Issue fixed by Dealer,450 mile tow covered by BMW.

When I got back home to Chicago,I disassembled and "resealed" the FPC connections and gasket for better protection and *piece of mind*.
Then went one step futher and purchased the FPC by pass line (about $26.00)and carry it in the bike.

Currently closing in on 40K miles on my bike,have been through torrential down pours,multiple hy pressure washings and no problems what so ever with water engress...

Again I have to thank everyone in this forum for the quick answers to my questions! You guys are great!

Much appreciated.

Paul

The issue is that the harness has 3 wires connected to the controller - two of which power the pump. The controller varies the speed of the pump. If the controller dies no power gets through it to the pump.

So to get you home you go around the controller by applying 12v and ground directly to the two terminals on the top of the pump motor.

Having a pre-failure built set of wires is a good idea whether you get it from somebody or make it yourself. Also - pre-failure - locate the pump and the controller and figure out where and how to connect your two wires. I've had it described to me a couple of times but have never done it since I don't own a bike with a controller. I am under the impression that the controller is directly on top of the pump and that it needs to be removed from the pump top to get to the pump terminals, but don't know that for sure.

I know it has been discussed with photos on some other forums.

Anybody have good links?

Does the Fuel pump controller module recall also include '08 RT's ? That is what went out on mine in Sept. , at only 3400 miles ! I don't know if they replaced it with a "new-and-improved" reliable unit or not, if there exists one . Another electrical reason why I haven't been able to trust this bike yet to go anywhere far.

Mine done just recent';

I watched as my dealer did mine in about 5 minutes, replacing the controller under recall. It was very quick and easy on the GSA'07. I did not know of the jump wire, carry along emergency fix:). Good idea. I never had a fail on mine, however, just a recall. The GSA controller is located, top left side of tank and the left fairing panel is loosened to access it. The black Roundell panel only. The faired street bikes probably have a worse time getting to it, I'm not sure. Randy

The silver controller failed on my 2007 RT @ about 13,000 miles. The dealer replaced it with the new black one. Its a simple repair. The controller is located under the clutch side upper fairing, on the fuel tank.

Back