• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800 ABS brake flush

Ther's nothing really special involved to do it. It's pretty much a standard motorcycle ABS system.

Not sure if it has the same front resevoir as the ST and GS, if so, you need a special tool to do the cap removal. I've heard it can be done without but it tricky. There's a coulpe of locking tabs that prevent the lid from unscrewing, sort of like a childproof medicine bottle lid. The tool looks basically like just a large thin open end spanner. It slip into the gap below the lid and holds the tab in so the lid can be turned to unscrew it. I made my own from a piece of aluminum sheet, they can be purchased premade too.

After that, just use whatever method suits you to do the fluid flush.

Ther's nothing really special involved to do it. It's pretty much a standard motorcycle ABS system.

Not sure if it has the same front resevoir as the ST and GS, if so, you need a special tool to do the cap removal. I've heard it can be done without but it tricky. There's a coulpe of locking tabs that prevent the lid from unscrewing, sort of like a childproof medicine bottle lid. The tool looks basically like just a large thin open end spanner. It slip into the gap below the lid and holds the tab in so the lid can be turned to unscrew it. I made my own from a piece of aluminum sheet, they can be purchased premade too.

After that, just use whatever method suits you to do the fluid flush.

It just takes two people. One can press both tabs inward with a couple of little screwdrivers while the second turns the cap. Voni and I did it last week. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I didn't know if it had a separated system like the whizzy RT. And the next to useless Haynes manual says to take it to a dealer since you need the BMW diagnostic tool to do it. When did Haynes manuals become so brain dead? I have one for my 1989 Chevy that is great, even describing how to build special tools. Now, they are just glorified manuals on how to change the oil....

Black rear brake fluid.......

I picked up my F800 GS adventure in March and I've ridden it 2K.
I was washing it yesterday when I noticed that the rear brake fluid res. was dark chocolate almost black?

I've never seen fluid go south so fast, I did a search of the web and see this has been something that's "normal" for this bike for some time.
Should I change this fluid right now or should the dealer take care of it?:scratch

I tried to buy the special tool, but my dealer could not find the part number so I improvised and used two blades of a pocket knife.

Remove_Cover.JPG

I was washing it yesterday when I noticed that the rear brake fluid res. was dark chocolate almost black?

I've never seen fluid go south so fast, I did a search of the web and see this has been something that's "normal" for this bike for some time.
Should I change this fluid right now or should the dealer take care of it?:scratch

Are you sure you're not looking at the clutch fluid?

Does the F800 have a hydraulic clutch or cable?

Check this out.......

My 2007 F800S did that, and my new F700GS is doing it too. It only has a bit over a thousand miles. I think it is normal, so I am going to do like I did with my F8S, and change it next year. I also use the coat hanger trick, works great.

Wayne

my '09 F8GS does the same thing. it's so much easier, faster and cheaper for me to do it than to arrange to bring it in to have my dealer do it .. and they're a great shop and only 10 miles away.

My vote is DIY- it's fixed now, cost is materials only, and takes less than an hour of your time.

Black rear brake fluid.......

Thanks all and bikerfish,

That's what I'll do, flush it myself.....I do most all of my wrenching on both of my bikes except for tires.
I've just never seen fluid turn that color, going from brand new to yuck in six weeks.

They all do that

Literally all new F800 bikes turn the rear brake fluid black. Its colour from the hose. After a brake flush or two it stays clear. Don't worry about it.

Some folks cut and bend a coat hanger to make a tool to hold down the tabs to remove the front reservoir cap.

I use a Mighty Vac to extract the fluid from the caliper and put the new stuff in the reservoir.

mike

Literally all new F800 bikes turn the rear brake fluid black. Its colour from the hose. After a brake flush or two it stays clear. Don't worry about it.

Some folks cut and bend a coat hanger to make a tool to hold down the tabs to remove the front reservoir cap.

I use a Mighty Vac to extract the fluid from the caliper and put the new stuff in the reservoir.

mike

This is exactly the information that I needed. Just before coming into the BMW family, I bought a Mighty Vac for my 900 Kawasaki, and have wanted to put it back to good use. Didn't use it on my K1200RS but glad to be able to bleed the brakes again on my own on my F700 GS...... The value of this forum for information is just great!

brake cap removal

The improvised-from-a-wire-coat-hanger tool described several posts in to the above thread is cheap, easy to make, and easy to use. It took me about 90 seconds to make it.

If you have a 6" sliding caliper used for measuring, just open it up to slide under the cap, close measuring jaws in and that will release the two clips.

Back