• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for a good modular

hunyak1

Hunyak1
I just returned a Nolan 103. Ordered one size larger that the sizing chart (XXL) and it was so small I could not get it on. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered that problem with the Nolan? I have also considered a Schubert, but do not know the best place to look for a fair deal. I have a full face and like it, but wear glasses and think the modular would be more comfortable. Thank you for your help. I love my
R 1200GS. Am going from Virginia to Mexico and south this fall and want something really comfortable.

hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:wave

I suppose there are as many opinions here as registered users but here is mine. My wife owns a Nolan modular an likes it a lot. Personally I wear a full face Shoei. I did invest in two Schuberth helmets a few years back. Frankly I hated it. For me it was heavy, bulky and the working parts did not function well. I was told they were easy to install communications headsets by the seller...and when they came it was nearly impossible to install them. Finally made modifications and got it done but it really butchered the helmets. Finally sold them both for next to nothing on IBMWR.

OK there is my .02 worth! Good luck finding a good lid!!

Scorpion

You might try looking at the Scorpion EXO-900.

I have a 7 7/8 head, (22 3/4") Most XXL helmets are tight but break in nicely. Some I can't get my head in. I did try on a Scorpion 900 and it was good. Still got a couple years to go on my Caberg modular though. The internal sunshield is a HUGE plus IMO.

I just returned a Nolan 103. Ordered one size larger that the sizing chart (XXL) and it was so small I could not get it on.

Sounds like it may have been marked with the wrong size if you wear an XXL in other brands. I have a Nolan 103, replacing a 102. Both are the most comfortable helmets I ever wore, and they are XS!

I have an HJC SyMax with the internal sun shade. The flip front and visor both work well, comfortable and same size as the other helmets I have worn. The clips that keep the chin bar closed are metal. Now I have not crash tested it, so I do not know if metal is better than plastic, but it seems like a good idea to me. The only concern is the chin bar is not padded, but that is common in many flip fronts as the mechanism must go somewhere.

Rod

I have a link to a place in Germany for the Schuberth C3. I was really considering getting one. It will probably be over $500, depends on the current exchange rate when you buy it. I guess I chickened out on it, because it is SO much money and then what if the size is wrong? Then pay MORE to send it back to exchange and well, like I said, I chickened out on doing it. Also more hassle to get a replacement shield later on.
Here is the link for the place in Germany, oh and BTW the UK prices are all higher, I'd go with a German source:
http://www.bikersdiscount.de/index.php

Here is a currency exchange place I found to calculate the cost in USD:
http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

Am currently determined to get a Multitec helmet.

Hunyak;

Welcome to the forums. Keep in mind that it is not only the size, but also the
shape that determines whether a helmet fits right. Check www.webbikeworld.com
they have a section on helmet shapes, along with plenty of helmet reviews.
As mentioned at webbikeworld, one way to be able to wear glasses with a
full face helmet is to have a pair of glasses just for bike riding and either cut
back the part of the glasses that go behind the ears, or bend them up so they
are more straight. With a properly fitting helmet, there will be enough friction
to keep them in place.

I have a similiar sized noggin and find that the Shoei Multi-tec fits and feels perfect for me; no pressure points. I have tried on variouis HJC and Nolan helmets and it seems that they are sized differently than the Shoei or more likely their interior shape is different which makes tham seem tight. Its been awhile but I seem to remember that one of them (I can't remember which) put a lot of pressure on my forehead and the other put a lot of pressure on the side on my head above the ears. My next helmet will be another Multi-tec...I just wish Shoei would add the intergral visor.

In my opinion, the Shoei and Schuberth fit similar shaped heads. OR at least they both fit ME well. IIRC the BMW (Schuberth) did have a bit of a breaking-in period, the Shoei felt like I was BORN with it on! Immediate comfort.
Gilly

I bought the HJC IS-MAX from the helmet shop in Daytona FL. They carry a wide variety HJC, Shoei, Arai, Nolan, etc, and the HJC with the built in retactable sun visor fit my head and needs the best. Most helmets look good but fit / function should be your highest priorities. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I wear glasses and think the modular would be more comfortable.

Well at least more practical.

So many helmets lack one so useful feature; an integral sun visor. Its the one thing I really missed having in all my other helmets.

My new Schuberth C2 offers great ventilation, the convenience of a flip-up and that sun visor.

I have a link to a place in Germany for the Schuberth C3. It will probably be over $500, depends on the current exchange rate when you buy it.

If they will ship it, you take whatever price is listed and divide by 1.19. Thats the 19% in value added tax you will not be paying, provided it gets shipped out of the EU.

That €500 C3 would run you €420 plus shipping x the exchange rate.

I picked up a C2 last summer. Great helmet for the price.

They're in Krefeld which is nearby when I'm overseas. I'll have to stop in.

I think that Value Added Tax might be a "Canada thing", wouldn't have to worry about it in the US, eh. Unless you just mean the prices out of the UK.
I don't believe they were trying to add VAT to my order. It may have been the exchange rate making a difference as well, between GBP and Euro. That of course should be compared before purchasing.
The place I linked to does ship to the US.
It was the best deal I could come up with, and a common thread between the UK suppliers and the German suppliers, was the German suppliers were always less (and I was adding the shipping cost to get a fair comparison).
I was keeping records of the helmet price with shipping (from the place in Germany), the lowest I saw was $543.97 in early Sept '09, high was $553.55 in early Oct '09. I saw where the prices were headed and I just thought "man, it's going to be a long time before the exchange rate is in my favor".

Gilly

I don't believe they were trying to add VAT to my order.

No they aren't...its already in the price. Thats why they remove it when items are shipped out of the EU.

Anything you buy in Germany, Austria, etc has tax in the sticker price. The amount varies slightly by country.

I was keeping records of the helmet price with shipping (from the place in Germany), the lowest I saw was $543.97 in early Sept '09, high was $553.55 in early Oct '09.

You keep using the $ sign. Do you think you can get a C3 for that?

Ôé¼500 / 1.19 + Ôé¼30 (shipping estimate) x exchange rate and you are looking at about US$630...plus whatever Uncle Sam is going to ding you for.

Yes, that was the price for the helmet plus shipping after running it through the currency calculator (from Euros to USD).
I could recheck it all, but I'm getting a Multitec.
I still don't believe there were any taxes/VAT on the order, and I also don't believe that there would be any additional taxes to pay on this end.
From the UK, they might charge VAT on the order. When I was restoring an old Sprite I used to have, I was ordering some parts out of the UK and now I can't remember if they charged VAT on the orders or not.

Gilly

Last edited:
I have a similiar sized noggin and find that the Shoei Multi-tec fits and feels perfect for me; no pressure points. I have tried on variouis HJC and Nolan helmets and it seems that they are sized differently than the Shoei or more likely their interior shape is different which makes tham seem tight. Its been awhile but I seem to remember that one of them (I can't remember which) put a lot of pressure on my forehead and the other put a lot of pressure on the side on my head above the ears. My next helmet will be another Multi-tec...I just wish Shoei would add the intergral visor.

I had a Shoei flip up a few ago. Have the newer Multi-tec gotten any quieter? The one I had, even with ear plugs the noise was terrible.

Last edited:
Back