• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1300S - which year?

QTreiber

Hello,

A few years ago I had a 2012 K1300S, really enjoyed it, but had some stalling issues, one of them in a sandy parking area, which was a bit scary. Sold the bike, got other bikes, but always missed the K1300S.

Now my wife is strongly encouraging me to get the bike of my dreams, will look for one in a few weeks, can't wait to be back on one!

I did some research, but could not find clear information as to which model year would be best. It looks like some changes/improvements were made over the years. Are e.g. 2015 models in any way "better" than let's say a 2013 model?

Any input would be appreciated.

Greetings from Colorado,
Armin

I don't remember any changes from 2013 to 2015.

The only change I remember after 2011 was the cam chain jump guard was installed at the factory.

I don't remember any changes from 2013 to 2015.

The only change I remember after 2011 was the cam chain jump guard was installed at the factory.

The problem with cam chain jump was on the 1200 engine, with the 1300 engine from 2009 that was already fixed from factory, this is what was told to me by dealer, Later also verified by Bmw in Sweden via email when i looked up the service history regarding recalls from Bmw.

Maybe was different in the US ?

Thank you for the responses!

For the K1300S, does the model year matter in terms of stalling or was the stalling addressed by software updates for some/all model years?

Cheers.
Armin

The problem with cam chain jump was on the 1200 engine, with the 1300 engine from 2009 that was already fixed from factory, this is what was told to me by dealer, Later also verified by Bmw in Sweden via email when i looked up the service history regarding recalls from Bmw.

Maybe was different in the US ?

Changes were made to the K1300 to help with the cam chain problem, but the jump guard was not added until 2012 or so.
We had to take both of our 2011 K1300Ss in to have the jump guard added.

Thank you for the responses!

For the K1300S, does the model year matter in terms of stalling or was the stalling addressed by software updates for some/all model years?

Cheers.
Armin

I think it was the 2005 or 2006 K1200 that had a airbox problem that caused stalling and poor idle.
There were a few K1300s with a stalling problem, but I don't it was certain years.
I knew a woman with a 2011 tri color with a stalling problem. I think her problem was caused by deposits in the throttle bodies.

Back