• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sew I started learning how to sew today

Bud

It is what it is.
Brought home our furling jib that needed the sun cover restitched. With much help and coaching from Nancy, I managed to do this.

145574709639.jpg

Don't laugh, it's the first thing I've ever sewn. It sure doesn't look like much but it is a big accomplishment for this guy with 10 thumbs.

It is a good first project for me as it is all straight lines.

For those who have never tried, it is harder than it looks. You have to coordinate both hands and a foot at the same time.

For those who have never tried, it is harder than it looks. You have to coordinate both hands and a foot at the same time.

Mmmmmmmm, two hands and a foot ya say. I bet that whole motorcycle ride'n thing is a bit tough for ya, considering the two hands and two feet needed thing. :laugh

Anyway, nice stitches :thumb

Brought home our furling jib that needed the sun cover restitched. With much help and coaching from Nancy, I managed to do this.

View attachment 54603

Don't laugh, it's the first thing I've ever sewn. It sure doesn't look like much but it is a big accomplishment for this guy with 10 thumbs.

I don't think that any sewing is easy to master. I can do buttons and a suture stitch (for patches back in the hippy-dippy days) but it looks like you're into more elaborate stuff. I suppose that if you can't go riding yet you can sit down and light up that machine and take it for a spin. - Bob

I don't think that any sewing is easy to master. I can do buttons and a suture stitch (for patches back in the hippy-dippy days) but it looks like you're into more elaborate stuff. I suppose that if you can't go riding yet you can sit down and light up that machine and take it for a spin. - Bob

Hi Bob,

It will be 70 here in a couple of days. I'm going riding. :thumb

Give Mary a big hug from me.

See you on the road?

Mmmmmmmm, two hands and a foot ya say. I bet that whole motorcycle ride'n thing is a bit tough for ya, considering the two hands and two feet needed thing. :laugh

Thanks for the :laugh

Never claimed to be much of a rider. :wave

Bud, I'm so proud of you. I recently helped the wife sew the elastic on my new tank bag cover. Required 4 hands and one foot.

View attachment 54603

Looks pretty good to me! I HATE, HATE, HATE to sew. Can I send you all my stuff that needs to be sewn?:)

Getting the tension right was a huge step.

I've watched the Sailrite videos re: machine setup and operation several times.

They have an amazing amount of free videos on their site. Fantastic customer support.:thumb

I bought the video re: Bimini construction. They break everything down into the small possible step so you don't have to guess about anything when following along.

I think he's doing a treadle machine, so the speed is foot dependent........

This is the one I have Bud- your's the same?

media.nl

Gary

I use a Sharpie to write the threading paths on the machine, saved me some time.
OM

Sewing

Mine is up on Raymond Ave, near Vassar College. Run by a nice older Korean lady, gives me a nice pink receipt for everything I leave her. Tells me to come back in a couple of days, and doesn't even charge a lot. Sometimes I pick up and deliver in my sidecar rig. Works fine for me. :)

Friedle

Darn it, Bud. I was really impressed by my misconception of reality..........

Welcome to my world. :wave

The nicest thing about living in your own world is that it can be anything you want it to be. :thumb:dance

Mine is up on Raymond Ave, near Vassar College. Run by a nice older Korean lady, gives me a nice pink receipt for everything I leave her. Tells me to come back in a couple of days, and doesn't even charge a lot. Sometimes I pick up and deliver in my sidecar rig. Works fine for me. :)

Friedle

A local Vietnamize woman has a tiny one woman shop here. She does great work on my motorcycle gear. She even put all new zippers in an old Vanson jacket of mine. It has given that old jacket many more years of life.

Sewing, really a lost art in our throw away society.

The only sewing I did on my sailboats was emergency hand stiching with waxed thread. Nothing pretty, but it worked.

Sewing, really a lost art in our throw away society.

The only sewing I did on my sailboats was emergency hand stiching with waxed thread. Nothing pretty, but it worked.

Many Goodwill stores are no longer accepting clothes donations. It used to be, the excess was sent to world-wide charities for distribution in Africa, the Caribbean, etc., but low cost production of new clothing now has greatly reduced the market for the thrift shop clothing. Where does the donated clothing go..........shop rags, sold by the lb.

Back