• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trouble finding earplugs that fit?

rdalland

Giddyap
Just came across these:

P1300!AEARO-303497.jpg

Skull Screws Earplugs!

http://www.atkenco.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=P1300!AEARO

I have no experience with them, and don't think they are particularly suited to wearing under a helmet, but...

Just came across these:

P1300!AEARO-303497.jpg

Skull Screws Earplugs!

http://www.atkenco.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=P1300!AEARO

I have no experience with them, and don't think they are particularly suited to wearing under a helmet, but...

I sent away for and received a sample of these.

I find the quality lacking. One corded "pair" arrived with just one earplug in the package. The quality of the foam is not up to par with other brands, and since there is a hard plastic center there is less foam.

They did not maintain a good seal - even after screwing them in deeper. Personally, I prefer an earplug that expands in place to one that screws in.

I would pass on these.

Turns out different people have different ear canals so what's good for one may not be good for someone else. The Ear Plug Store sell various assorted trial packs so you can try different types and styles. Since I always wear plugs, I buy a larger quantity box and save.

Personally I like the roll up foam type, but I keep these on hand to give out to first time riders or passengers who have never tried ear plugs.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/peltor-next-no-touch-ear-plugs.html

These have a soft foam plug with a small paddle at the back which allows someone to simply insert the plug in the ear by pushing on the paddle. Real easy to use though only 29 db reduction of noise. Not terrible, but 33 db makes things real quiet.

I have used the roll up foam plugs for about 5,000 miles. Get them from WalMart or Advance Auto in a pack of 10 for $2.00. Sometimes I can insert these in 1 try, other times it takes another attempt, or more. But 33db of attenuation is worth the occasional hassle.
regards,
Mark

Moldex Rockets

http://www.labsafety.com/search/Moldex/12675/?type=brand

I use these all the time. They are very comfortable, I can wear them all day. I found them as part of the assortment Aerostich sells. I usually buy mine on Ebay. One thing about wearing corded pugs is I use a Hadwear neck gaiter to keep the cord from catching on the neck of my suit. I put the plugs in first and put the gaiter on second.

some years ago I wanted ear plugs for my young daughters. I found that the yellow foam type was easily trimmed to provide a good fit for their smaller ear canals.

Of course this fit was certainly not to the standard of an expert, more a negotiation of comfort for the girls vs my trying to keep as much material for sound reduction.

Several companies make custom molded ear plugs.

Or find a local audiologist.

Amen brother, I have seen the light :bow

Custom ear plugs are the way to go, IMHO. The roll up plugs do a great job with the noise, but would irritate my ear canals with repeated use.

I ended up getting a pair of customs at a local motorcycle show. It does feel really weird when they squirt the stuff in. When you first start using them, it does take a while to get them to seat properly. This gets better with practice.

When San Francisco BMW changed locations and had an open house, they had a guy there making customs for free. Nice to have a spare set.

Custom ear plugs are the way to go, IMHO. The roll up plugs do a great job with the noise, but would irritate my ear canals with repeated use.

I ended up getting a pair of customs at a local motorcycle show. It does feel really weird when they squirt the stuff in. When you first start using them, it does take a while to get them to seat properly. This gets better with practice.

When San Francisco BMW changed locations and had an open house, they had a guy there making customs for free. Nice to have a spare set.

Absolutely right. I use these that I had made by a guy who works with my music store. Took about a week from when he made the mold till I had them. I had tried all the various generic ear plugs and found them very uncomfortable after a short time. These i forget are in there these days. The filter in the middle can be changed so you can select the decibel reduction you want. The nice thing besides the custom fit is that they cut all frequencies equally so you 'Hear" normally, just at much reduced volume. They can even put speakers in the end where the filters are normally and you have awesome sound. Most Audiologists can have a set made for you. One thing, the ones I have cost me about $125.00 if I remember correctly, and I got a discount. They are not cheap but they are well worth it.

348795501_7VfYD-M.jpg

My left ear canal is small. I could never get the foam plugs to stay in, so I was using Etymotic plugs. They would fit but would irritate the smaller canal. Plus, the little insertion sticks would sometimes catch on the helmet as I was taking it off - very umpleasant.

I'd looked at the custom plugs at the rallies and events. I was always reluctant to buy anything from someone whose only known place of business is a card table, so I went to a local audiologist. For $65 she fitted me with custom plugs.

What a HUGE difference. They fit. They're comfortable. And, surprisingly, they cut more of the wind noise but I can hear other sounds better than with the Etymotics. Plus, they fit better under the helmet. I'm sold. If you can afford them, get custom plugs.

Back