• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route from Minnesota to Gillette

redclfco

Start out going North from Northfield

End at Saint Cloud, MN

End at Moorhead, MN

Miles City, MT
MT-59 becomes LITTLE POWDER RIVER RD.
3.4 mi
LITTLE POWDER RIVER RD becomes GURLEY AVE N.
1.1 mi
Turn RIGHT onto E 4TH ST.
0.6 mi

End at Gillette, WY

E: Gillette, WY

Total Time: 14.0 hours 26 minutes
Total Distance: 923 mi

Attachments

• Gillette Map.jpg
    Gillette Map.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 205
Hey Red...

Just curious...why that route?

If you're going to go freeway anyway, you'll save 200 miles by taking I-90, and believe me when I tell you, the sights along I-94 aren't much better, except you'll get to see the big buffalo in Jamestown, and the big Holstein cow in New Salem. :dance

I was thinking of leaving from the Twin Cities and going out via 212. Coming home, I'll go north from Gillette to Miles City, then eventually winding my way through the NoDak Badlands up to Highway 200, and crossing North Dakota that way. I've got friends in Miles City, and family in NoDak to visit on the way home.

Just wondering. I'm taking 2 days to get there anyway, since I'm not a long distance rider type.

Never been there..Thank You!

Just curious...why that route?

If you're going to go freeway anyway, you'll save 200 miles by taking I-90, and believe me when I tell you, the sights along I-94 aren't much better, except you'll get to see the big buffalo in Jamestown, and the big Holstein cow in New Salem. :dance

I was thinking of leaving from the Twin Cities and going out via 212. Coming home, I'll go north from Gillette to Miles City, then eventually winding my way through the NoDak Badlands up to Highway 200, and crossing North Dakota that way. I've got friends in Miles City, and family in NoDak to visit on the way home.

Just wondering. I'm taking 2 days to get there anyway, since I'm not a long distance rider type.

I knew there had to be somebody out there who knew North Dakota better than me! Danka, Braddog!

Greenwald, thanks for the PM! Both will be used to revise my ride...what fun! I was only in Montana once, so the advice is appreciated; I was hoping Kenk would speak up here, and tell me where to go...(haha)...to find his badlands in North Dakota, they sound pretty cool...

Anyways, just beginnig to explore and thanks for the comments, and welcome more!

Red

Saddle Sore route to rally

I'm taking 94 straight through to Glendive, MT (July 16th Wednesday); staying the night and then to Billings and down to Gillette the next morning. It's just over 1K and will earn me a certificate.

Coming back on 90 through Sioux Falls then up 35 into MPLS.

I'm staying overnight in Sioux Falls at the Baymont Hotel and I'll have an extra bed. The room is 84.00 if anyone wants to share accommodations. You would only pay 1/2 of course. That reservation is for the night of the 20th (Sunday)

The thing is...

I don't plan on putting many miles on each day, which of course means, it will take me more time to make the trip.

My tentative route out to Gillette is around 730 miles or so, right now. That doesn't account for any small side trips I may or may not take.

My return route will be considerably longer (as yet undetermined), but that's OK, since I do plan on making that like a 3 day trip back.

Oh, and MplsK100RT, may I suggest not taking I-90 all the way to 35, then north to the Cities, rather take I-90 from Sioux Falls, SD, to Highway 60 in Worthington. Take Highway 60 from Worthington to Mankato, then take US-169 from Mankato back to the Cities. Much nicer ride, shorter distance, etc. My oldest son graduated from Augustana in Sioux Falls, so we've made the trip a few times. Highway 60 is a good road. Just a suggestion!

Good to know about hwy 60. I've never gone that way, but try to avoid 35 anyway I can--silly construction all the time.

Thanks.

black hills canyons

no doubt interstate 90 would save you some time; you might consider riding the black hills canyon roads as you pass through the black hills area; they are great riding in the "Sturgis off season. " If you do proceed on I-94, I highly recommend you stop for a meal at the Trapper's Kettle in Belfield, NDerstate 85 also drops south from this location, into the Sturgis/black hills area.

check out us18 just to the south of I-90... a classic motorcycle road.

then... us16 on up to 90, or you can check out the black hills.

slab = don't do it! :burnout

ian

If you hate slab traffic that's one thing, but you are wasting your time trying to find a scenic way out there. I've done around 30 trips out West/NorthWest and have done ALL the back roads. Now I take the quickest route possible to get to the West side of the Dakota's where the real scenery begins. The way I look at it like every minute I waste getting there is keeping me from where I want to be.

Caveat - I look at Gillette as a 1 day ride.

I you are going to mosey on out any one will work - 14, 12, US-212 - or way up north on 2.

Dave

You speak the truth...

If you hate slab traffic that's one thing, but you are wasting your time trying to find a scenic way out there. I've done around 30 trips out West/NorthWest and have done ALL the back roads. Now I take the quickest route possible to get to the West side of the Dakota's where the real scenery begins. The way I look at it like every minute I waste getting there is keeping me from where I want to be.

Caveat - I look at Gillette as a 1 day ride.

I you are going to mosey on out any one will work - 14, 12, US-212 - or way up north on 2.

Dave
Having grown up in North Dakota, and having traveled west several times, you're absolutely right on, Dave. You won't see any scenery until hit the western 1/3 of the state. I've not been all the way across South Dakota, but I expect it's similar.

There's also the speed limit to consider. I-94 through North Dakota has a limit of 75, while state highways probably have limits of 55-65. I wonder how much insight law enforcement has to this rally so they can set up "fundraisers" along the way?

I'm moseying, for the most part. Or at least that's my plan right now.

North Dakota

Having grown up in North Dakota, and having traveled west several times, you're absolutely right on, Dave. You won't see any scenery until hit the western 1/3 of the state. I've not been all the way across South Dakota, but I expect it's similar.

There's also the speed limit to consider. I-94 through North Dakota has a limit of 75, while state highways probably have limits of 55-65. I wonder how much insight law enforcement has to this rally so they can set up "fundraisers" along the way?

I'm moseying, for the most part. Or at least that's my plan right now.

I grew up in ND as well, but there are some great camping sites (free) along the way (94).
PM me if you want locations or pic's. I think the North Unit loop of Teddy Roosevelt is a great ride for a wanderer in unique country but it's posted 35mph. South of Medora has some good GS roads. Most of SD's Black Hills good rides are all posted 35mph as well.
B

If you need to get to Red Lodge in a hurry, I94 is the way to go. But if I were riding to Gilette, I would probably start out on 7 or 12, then go up through Brown's Valley to Sisseton and then up through Sica Hollow. From there I would work my way down to 212 by Redfield and go west around the lakes, coming out on 14 at Huron and west to pierre. Then down to Fort Pierre to pick up Bad River Road to Midland. At Wall, I would go south into the Badlands and take Sage Creek Road to come out near Scenic. South from there and west across Cuny Table, with a stop for an Indian Taco at Nellie Cuny's Cuny Table cafe. At Buffalo Gap, cross SD79, ride through the eponymous gap, and take the first right to go up the back side of Wind Cave NP. That road comes out on the Custer Park wildlife loop. Take that out of the park, pick up 16 to Custer and Moorcroft, then jump on I90 for a little bit to reach Gilette. This route includes some unpaved sections, but all easily done on a street bike.

What I'll more likely do is put a dirt bike and a dual sport bike on the trailer and take I90 to Gilette, with a stop at Moe's Casa Blanca in Murdo for some shrimp and mussels over linguini. As they say in the Guzzi Club: "Montare per mangiare, mangiare per montare". After the rally, go back to Rapid, trail ride the hills for a couple of days and pore over the maps for some dirty back ways to Paonia.

Why in God's name would anybody want to go to Gillette?
*snicker*

:hide

I'm just gonna wait for you to come through Minnesota, get behind you, and draft you all the way to Gillette. I probably won't have to stop for gas more than once or twice.

:beer <----This is even "draft" beer. I'll buy you one. :wave

My reasoning to launch into North Dakota was my pursuit of dropping down to Gillette from the north. I have done the I-90 thing so many times it makes me ill (no offense South Dakota, but I need some new stuff here) and I thought it would be a great 200 mile? diversion to go that way since I have never left minnersoters from this direction. I want to make it there in 2 days, and camp, so not looking or seeking the Iron Butt designation.

Montana inspires great memories and great fishing, and wanted to make sort of a fish theme the whole way out. Some of the routes listed in this thread will be incorporated to get me off the slab, but still have a goal of dropping down to Gillette from the north. I want to maybe take time to drop a bug or two in the creeks on the way out.

So Thursday and Friday on the road, Sat/Sunday in Gillette, on the way back, begrudgingly heading back home via I-90 or I-80 not sure yet, I’ve ridden both too many times to count, and I think I-90 less boring and less dangerous. going through/around Omaha and Council Bluff transition on a bike is the height of brushing close to death, me thinks! A few very close calls with storms AND cages going that way!

What I don’t want to do is go solo. I have done that, and am willing to modify my route to avoid going it alone...

Anybody interested in talking about the GREAT MN to WYO trip together? Roy and my Wisconsin compadres? How are you getting there? Bradog? Anybody out there?

Red

Fly Fishing

Red,
There isn't much in the way of fly fishing between here and the Bighorns or Beartooths.
There is a couple of stocked places in ND not far off 90 but they aren't like wading a creek.
You have to go all the way to Big Timber or Red Lodge to get into good Cut Throat, Rainbow etc...
You could head south at Forsythe and stroke the Bighorns (Dayton has an area that hits) and then cut back to Gillette.
I would ride with you out but I don't do rallies.
B

Red,
You could head south at Forsythe and stroke the Bighorns (Dayton has an area that hits) and then cut back to Gillette.
I would ride with you out but I don't do rallies.
B

Na, neither do I, sort of.. But I do like what I saw at West Bend but don't plan on getting professional at it...

I actually have an inventation to fish somewhere outside of Dayton

My first rally was last year, and I met some pretty good people that I need to stop in on. I want to make it into Montana via 212, (revised my original thoughts thanks to this thread) then head for Billings, looping back to Dayton then back south then east to Gillette. I have an invite to fish somewhere outside of Dayton. Fishing in little holes is my speciality!:heh
Would like to drop over the Big Horn Canyon Rec area if I can find the right road...

God I feel like a damn tourist...I AM A TOURIST oh noooooo!

Red

Back