• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 Richmond VA: The 50th National MOA Rally

Registration for 2023 rally?

I understand best rate for rally is through end of June but can’t find a link to registration???

Thank you ...

I got tired of having to watch the video to confirm the rally location, dates:

Meadow Event Park, Doswell, VA. Same exit as Kings Dominion Theme Park, June 8-11.

It's just over 30 minutes north to Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg

...about 30 minutes into Richmond, going south.

Hubby and I are "local" to that area (I grew up in NoVa, we now live in Lynchburg), have spent many a weekend in Richmond and Fredericksburg. The Richmond BMW club isn't very big or active beyond RTE's, so it will probably fall to active local BMWMOA members to take up the slack in making things happen.

That said, there are at least a dozen breweries, distilleries in Richmond, and a handful of same in Fredericksburg. Bus transportation/a tour to check those out would be a great idea I think. Even if it's just one trip with sign ups. For history buffs, there are a good half dozen historic homes in and around Richmond proper, plus several out in the countryside. Montpelier. Williamsburg is just over 70 miles away on 30E.

Not much in the way of other entertainment/food near the actual Fairground site. It will be up to the Rally organizers to be sure there is plenty of food options on site.

Looks like plenty of twisty roads eastward and south east toward the lower Rappahannock and Chesapeake Bay. Lake Anna is off to the west. Hubby and I will likely venture out and around and see what we can find in the way of fun riding routes.

One big issue I see, will be dealing with rush hour traffic on I95 in the morning and evenings of Wed, Thu and Friday. Alternate roads are two lane and they will quickly be filled with traffic as well. The beach traffic coming/going on Saturday and Sunday along I95 - anyone headed to the NC/SC beaches from NoVa and north will likely be on I95 to get there for their Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun beach house rentals. Sunday afternoon starts the slow down headed north on I95 toward DC

Everyone appreciates information from a "local".
Your contributions, and others from nearby Doswell/Richmond (Club members or not)... will be valued.

One big issue I see, will be dealing with rush hour traffic on I95 in the morning and evenings of Wed, Thu and Friday. Alternate roads are two lane and they will quickly be filled with traffic as well. The beach traffic coming/going on Saturday and Sunday along I95 - anyone headed to the NC/SC beaches from NoVa and north will likely be on I95 to get there for their Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun beach house rentals. Sunday afternoon starts the slow down headed north on I95 toward DC.

Y'all have been in Lynchburg a long time :) Since they took out the toll booths - and while beach traffic (going south on Friday and north on Sunday) is always a concern - "rush hour traffic" in/near Richmond is a joke compared to large urban areas. Unless you're going straight into the city on I 95 at 8 AM, the only thing anybody will have to deal with is an occasional slowdown. The real traffic is from Fredericksburg on north to ... well, basically Baltimore. Going north on I 95, traffic will start backing up around VA 3 or US 17, which means you can dump off to US 1 before that mess and visit Morton's. Going south on I 95, heavy traffic will extend past Fredericksburg on occasion, but now that they've (mostly) finished the construction on the local/express lanes, it seems to clear more quickly than it used to.

During the weekend of the Rally, nearly all the kids in Virginia will still be in school, so it's not a heavy beach weekend. The real bear that time of year is Memorial Day weekend, so I wouldn't expect a huge glut of beach traffic that early in June. The two following weekends see more beach traffic as the kids get out of school for the summer.

For afternoon "rush," it can get a little clogged up from the city center north to the I 295 exit and south to Petersburg at times between 4 and 6, but unless there's a crash, I've never seen traffic come to a standstill.

I 295 to the east and VA 288 to the west provide convenient and low-traffic routes around the city for anybody who wants to avoid what little traffic there is in the general Richmond area.

Like everywhere, construction (whether scheduled or not) and crashes are the real hazards when it comes to traffic backing up. Luckily, there are a half-dozen ways to get to the Rally site without ever getting on I 95 I can think of off the top of my head, and no doubt a few more if I really put some thought into it (and looked at a map). There's almost nowhere in the region you can't get to on non-interstate roads, it just takes a little planning and a map. US 1 parallels I 95 from Richmond to DC and in the area of the Rally site, rarely (if ever) has any traffic backups. US 301 parallels I 95 as well from Richmond almost to Fredericksburg (after which it bends east towards Maryland) and is a fantastic, scenic way to avoid riding on the interstate. Both of these US highways cross VA 30, which is the road the Rally site is on.

Ask away! I live 20 minutes from the Rally site and don't even have to get on the highway to get there. Meadow Event Park is where they have the Virginia State Fair every year and it's a great facility. I'm not super active here, so feel free to DM or email me.

Y'all have been in Lynchburg a long time :) Since they took out the toll booths - and while beach traffic (going south on Friday and north on Sunday) is always a concern - "rush hour traffic" in/near Richmond is a joke compared to large urban areas. Unless you're going straight into the city on I 95 at 8 AM, the only thing anybody will have to deal with is an occasional slowdown. The real traffic is from Fredericksburg on north to ... well, basically Baltimore. Going north on I 95, traffic will start backing up around VA 3 or US 17, which means you can dump off to US 1 before that mess and visit Morton's. Going south on I 95, heavy traffic will extend past Fredericksburg on occasion, but now that they've (mostly) finished the construction on the local/express lanes, it seems to clear more quickly than it used to.

During the weekend of the Rally, nearly all the kids in Virginia will still be in school, so it's not a heavy beach weekend. The real bear that time of year is Memorial Day weekend, so I wouldn't expect a huge glut of beach traffic that early in June. The two following weekends see more beach traffic as the kids get out of school for the summer.

For afternoon "rush," it can get a little clogged up from the city center north to the I 295 exit and south to Petersburg at times between 4 and 6, but unless there's a crash, I've never seen traffic come to a standstill.

I 295 to the east and VA 288 to the west provide convenient and low-traffic routes around the city for anybody who wants to avoid what little traffic there is in the general Richmond area.

Like everywhere, construction (whether scheduled or not) and crashes are the real hazards when it comes to traffic backing up. Luckily, there are a half-dozen ways to get to the Rally site without ever getting on I 95 I can think of off the top of my head, and no doubt a few more if I really put some thought into it (and looked at a map). There's almost nowhere in the region you can't get to on non-interstate roads, it just takes a little planning and a map. US 1 parallels I 95 from Richmond to DC and in the area of the Rally site, rarely (if ever) has any traffic backups. US 301 parallels I 95 as well from Richmond almost to Fredericksburg (after which it bends east towards Maryland) and is a fantastic, scenic way to avoid riding on the interstate. Both of these US highways cross VA 30, which is the road the Rally site is on.

Ask away! I live 20 minutes from the Rally site and don't even have to get on the highway to get there. Meadow Event Park is where they have the Virginia State Fair every year and it's a great facility. I'm not super active here, so feel free to DM or email me.

WOW .... that is great information and pretty much what I expected. I've been to the Rally in Salt Lake and had to navigate rush hour traffic there each morning getting to the Rally site and Des Moines as well. So not too worried about the traffic issue although would always prefer less traffic. I plan on staying off 95 whenever possible. The hotel we booked is on Rt.1 just north of 295 and looks like about as good a location as we could find. I realize there are hotels closer to the Rally site but they are not chains I prefer and too close to Kings Dominion for me and not walkable dining. Any thoughts on the Rt.1 area about 12 miles from the Rally?

I know the area and the nearby hotels well. In that northwest quadrant where I-95/I-295 meet there are several decent hotels. There is a Springhill Suites, Hampton Inn, Marriott (Courtyard), Candlewood Suites and Comfort Suites. Restaurants generally consist of your standard national chains and a few independents. Foodies will probably enjoy eating in the city. If you want to try something different look at Virginia Crossings Hotel. It is near the ones just mentioned, but is not like the others. The hotel is part of the Hilton group and it is reminiscent of something you might find in Williamsburg. It consists of three buildings on attractive grounds next to a golf course (I am not employed by or have an interest in Virginia Crossings...think it is worth mentioning if you, or anyone else is interested in a different sort of hotel experience).

Last edited:
I know the area and the nearby hotels well. In that northwest quadrant where I-95/I-295 meet there are several decent hotels. There is a Springhill Suites, Hampton Inn, Marriott (Courtyard), Candlewood Suites and Comfort Suites. Restaurants generally consist of your standard national chains and a few independents. Foodies will probably enjoy eating in the city. If you want to try something different look at Virginia Crossings Hotel. It is near the ones just mentioned, but is not like the others. The hotel is part of the Hilton group and it is reminiscent of something you might find in Williamsburg. It consists of three buildings on attractive grounds next to a golf course (I am not employed or have an interest in Virginia Crossings...think it is worth mentioning if you, or anyone else is interested in a different sort of hotel experience).

WOW that Virginia Crossing hotel looks very nice and if it were just me I would book it in a heartbeat but there are about 6 or more in our group. The rate is a bit more than where we booked and the issue will be no free breakfast. Like I said if me I would be there for sure and I am Hilton Diamond so I could use points as well. But unfortunately I have to try and find a happy medium.

The natural would be the Spartanburg County Fairgrounds, AKA Piedmont Fairgrounds. June average high 87. June average low 67. Average number of days with rain in June, 7.

I think I heard a rumor that some of the folks think we should go back and give Bloomsburg (AKA Doomsburg), PA a second chance. :banghead

What's the weather like in Fargo?

Your contributions, and others from nearby Doswell/Richmond (Club members or not)... will be valued.

Anybody passing by this weekend on a day ride please report.
Have they mowed the grass this month?

Toll Roads around Rally Area

Are there tollways in/around the area near the rally? Should I mount my EZ-Pass reader on my RT for this trip?

Are there tollways in/around the area near the rally? Should I mount my EZ-Pass reader on my RT for this trip?

While I can't speak for the Richmond area specifically I would suggest having your EZ Pass handy as there are more and more toll lanes popping up in the southeast and mid-atlantic regions. They are in NC for sure and I know in the DC area as well.

Unless your route from AL takes you through WV, I doubt you’ll hit any toll roads. In NC and VA, there are non-toll options for getting around. However, if you have a transponder, it won’t hurt to bring it.

Doug

Unless your route from AL takes you through WV, I doubt you’ll hit any toll roads. In NC and VA, there are non-toll options for getting around. However, if you have a transponder, it won’t hurt to bring it.

Doug

Good points and while there are non-toll alternatives in many cases I have found the "toll lanes" to be a safer option. Especially in NC. BUT ... also keep in mind that on the I-77 Express (toll) lanes motorcycles ride FREE! It is the only toll road in NC where Motorcycles ride free and it is truly a much safer options as the non-toll lanes experience frequent stop and go situations i.e. 80 MPH to dead stop. That usually never happens in the toll lanes. The Express lanes run for about 20 miles from around exit 16 to exit 36.

That being said not sure you will be running up I-77 on your trip but just good information

Looks like I'll need to check w/SWMBO to see if she'll be heading up to visit her sister in NJ while I head to the Rally. We only have one transponder that we move to whatever vehicle is heading to EZ-PASS world.

Looks like I'll need to check w/SWMBO to see if she'll be heading up to visit her sister in NJ while I head to the Rally. We only have one transponder that we move to whatever vehicle is heading to EZ-PASS world.

If she’s going to NJ, she’ll need the ez-pass more than you. Most of the toll roads and bridges in the Northeast are unmonitored and you are billed by transponder or photo, if you don’t have a transponder. The photo option gets really expensive, really fast as you’re charged the full rate plus processing fees. You, on the other hand, can enjoy the nice scenic back roads. Near the rally, the only toll road that I’m aware of is the express lanes on I95 between Fredericksburg and DC.

Doug

If she’s going to NJ, she’ll need the ez-pass more than you. Most of the toll roads and bridges in the Northeast are unmonitored and you are billed by transponder or photo, if you don’t have a transponder. The photo option gets really expensive, really fast as you’re charged the full rate plus processing fees. You, on the other hand, can enjoy the nice scenic back roads. Near the rally, the only toll road that I’m aware of is the express lanes on I95 between Fredericksburg and DC.

Doug

ABSOLUTELY! I was born and raised in NJ and (unfortunately) visit a few times a year and you can't easily navigate the Garden State without EZ Pass !! :nod As Doug noted many of the tolls are unmanned and many have odd rates as well. You need a GPS and the tolls are not cheap even WITH EZ Pass! But have a great trip :)

Back